Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

I'm not excited for Destiny and i feel like i should be.

• 111 results
    OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

I've always enjoyed Bungie's work on Halo and i really love loot rpg's like diablo, borderlands, torchlight, etc. I played the beta up to the level cap and while this game seemed very pretty, and the shooting felt just like Bungie's kind of shooting mechanics, i just didn't feel like it was fun. The most fun i had the whole time was dancing at inappropriate times during multiplayer matches or during free roam. This bothers me because if the maker of a series i really loved is doing a game that blends with other genres i also love, then why don't i like this?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I'm not overly excited for it either. I'm kind of waiting to see if it can deliver the content or will just be an MMO style grindy blandfest.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm not either. I was for a while, but they said all the wrong things and I've kinda gotten burned out on the alpha/beta.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm excited for it. I was a big fan of the halo series and I just hope this has its own moments.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I played the beta and after that ended I didn't have any desire to ever play it again. I don't know, it seemed well made and was fun, but nothing about it made me want to keep playing. There may be a lot more to it that I won't ever see, but I don't care. It has the dubious honor of being just alright.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're not, you're not, that's it.

It's like when people make "Convince me/Sell me on..." threads. No. I won't. If you're not interested, that's fine, you don't need to be.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I also feel like I should be more excited. The news that there may not be that many maps is slightly bumming me out, but hopefully it's still a large game as advertised. I really don't want to run around on that Old Russia map for eight hours.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By cornbredx

I'm not excited for Destiny and I'm not surprised. Bungie has never made games that I found particularly interesting and I'm not big on the loot driven FPS thing.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Other than NBA 2K15 I'm probably more excited about Destiny than anything else this year. I realized it's just a week away earlier today and got really, really stoked. As someone who's not normally into FPS games (Bioshock Infinite was the last I played to completion, and the original Modern Warfare before that) I am just beyond ecstatic to find out how deep this game really goes.

(I will admit that the offering of $35 pair of expansions before the game is even out scares me a little, almost as much as my willingness to buy this game for $90 just to avoid spending an extra $5 down the road).

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@strife777: This. If someone is curious about a game, I'll help inform them as best I can, but I'm not a little girl who needs to prove her games are awesome to people anymore.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So don't play it. I don't understand the "I'm just so blase about this game guys." thing people do. If it doesn't interest you then don't play it.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I've become pretty apprehensive about it since I played the alpha. All the rumors that came out around how much content was actually going to be in the game didn't do much to quell those fears, either. I enjoyed playing it, and I really want to be excited for it, because this is absolutely my kind of game, but I really feel like it could go either way at this point. If the main game isn't even as big as the first Borderlands, that would be a little underwhelming, and if it's structured the same way as the alpha and beta were, that would be even worse. The gameplay itself is excellent, but nothing that surrounded it seemed very compelling. I hope I'm wrong.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I didn't get to touch the beta I really didn't need to I can tell the game is going to play just fine, I am just worried I am going into this ready for MMO levels of content and I am going to beat the game over the weekend.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I was interested, then not, then people made the alpha sound super cool. Played the beta and saw the pros and numerous cons.

Now I'm debating canceling my limited edition preorder daily. All this coming from a HUGE Halo fan.

After all, it'll cut into my Theatrhythm: Curtain Call time.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EthanielRain

Playing Strikes with other GB'ers was fun, is what still makes me excited for the game.

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After playing the alpha and the beta I had my fill of the hype. Don't really think the game is that special honestly, but we'll see what they changed when the game comes out.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd probably be excited for it if it were on PC.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really really enjoyed the game but hey man, if you don't like it you don't like it. We all have our tastes and sometimes genres or mechanics just don't click for us. For example I find Borderlands EXTREMELY boring, can't play more than an hour total, but I loved Destiny. So don't worry too much about not liking it! :)

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I played the beta and really liked it. I'm also on a shooter kick, so I feel like I'm in a perfect place to play Destiny.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By damodar

I'm here to tell you that I don't care and you don't have to either. Free yourself, brother.

I think the root of my indifference is that they were kind of stuck just pumping out Halo games for ten years and then when it appears that they'll be able to break from that and do something different, their new game is a scifi fps about ancient alien races. I'm not naive enough to think that Activision would give them carte blanche instead of just saying "Make a game like that Halo thing people like", but it's still disappointing, especially when they're out there talking about this like it's the game they've always wanted to make and now the shackles are off! I'd like to see what they could actually do in other genres. It's kind of the same problem I have with From Software having this big success with the Souls games. I really hope that's not all we get from them from now on, because they used to take a lot of risks with their games and be really creative. Even Demons' Souls is a testament to that. As somebody who was a fan of From before they started down the Souls path, it bums me out a little.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yeah I was looking forward to it at first but the beta really disappointed me.

I wish FPSRPGS were about more than just leveling up skills and collecting loot. From what I could tell, that's pretty much what Destiny is.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I've always enjoyed Bungie's work on Halo and i really love loot rpg's like diablo, borderlands, torchlight, etc. I played the beta up to the level cap and while this game seemed very pretty, and the shooting felt just like Bungie's kind of shooting mechanics, i just didn't feel like it was fun. The most fun i had the whole time was dancing at inappropriate times during multiplayer matches or during free roam. This bothers me because if the maker of a series i really loved is doing a game that blends with other genres i also love, then why don't i like this?

Probably because you feel like should like it.

Just like what you like man, don't force it.

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went into the beta with relatively low expectations and actually came out surprised with how much I actually enjoyed it. It's REALLY dope when you're playing with a friend. Hell, I met and played with a few strangers and had a blast.

It's installed on my Xbox ready to go on the 9th.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By mike

It probably has a little to do with the constant bombardment from various gaming outlets with features like, "10 Reasons Why You Should Be Excited For Destiny!" and "10 Reasons Why Destiny Is The Game To Beat In 2014!" and similar "stories." Activision's marketing and PR departments fuel this fire, and people get caught up in the frenzy of being a part of the next big thing, even if no one has played the full game yet and Bungie has been vague at best about what Destiny will actually ship with. Maybe some of your friends are excited for the game and are constantly talking about it...it's natural not to want to feel left out. The emotional side of you wants to join in on the fervor and get pumped..."YEAH! This game is going to be bad ass, I'm preordering the limited edition for $150!" The logical side of you says, "Self, maybe you should remain a little skeptical and wait for reviews and a Quick Look before parting with your $60. I can wait 24 hours after the game releases to play it, if it's that good then it'll be worth waiting a little bit longer for."

The latter isn't very fun or exciting, but it certainly saves you from buying a turd every now and then. Is Destiny one of those turds? That remains to be seen.

Here are some of the most obvious examples of the media I'm talking about -

Five Reasons Destiny has already won Game of the Year

Destiny Beta: Proof That Destiny will be Game of the Year?

Destiny: 7 Reasons Gamers Should Be Excited

9 Reasons We're Excited For Destiny - IGN Video

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first I was hesitant about Destiny because it was being compared to Borderlands, a series that I once liked but since lost all interest and also I never held a high regard for the Halo games. But having played the beta, I am pretty stoked about the game. I even got into the multiplayer which was unexpected since I never liked FPS multiplayer modes but for some reason this one sucked me in.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mb: I get your point, but you're grasping at straws with those examples. Besides IGN (which I doubt many users here even visit) I wouldn't consider those other sites major.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By KaneRobot

Something is bugging me about this game. Actually a lot of things are, but since none of them are necessarily fact it makes me that much more uneasy. There is no way in hell I'm buying it on launch day. Too many what ifs and unanswered questions.

I will say the fact that most websites apparently won't receive review copies until the day before it's out is very, very concerning.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'am not particulary excited either, but I might end up giving it a chance with the lack of other AAA releases 'till late next month.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised but so far it just seems like Borderlands without any of the lighthearted fun.

Galadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that's perfectly fine, not being excited about it. I've actually had the exact opposite reaction. A multiplayer FPS is the antithesis to what I usually enjoy. But I tried the alpha (because hey, a free demo, why not) and for whatever reason the game just clicked with me. Both game play and game world. I had a lot of fun. The same went for the beta. While I found that less exciting, I didn't mind replaying the same bits again (which I usually abhor in any game). I enjoyed the feel of the game play enough to get past that. And now I'm looking forward to next week.

But just as the game clicked with me for whatever reason, I can certainly see someone else not quite liking it for similarly ethereal reasons.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the Alpha got me pumped than the Beta deflated all of that excitement. I'll prob catch up wit the game in a few months down the line.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do think the way the media has been covering this game has something to do with your feeling that you should be more excited for Destiny. I cancelled my pre-order after playing the beta. The game didn't click with me and I could tell that Destiny just wasn't going to be a game that would hold my interest for long. Yet as mentioned before, the media have all been screaming that Destiny is the second coming of Christ. Whether it's Brad on the Bombcast saying how he can't wait to play the full game, other journalist both international as in my own country saying how they will lock themselves up when this game is released to all of the articles covering this game. Somehow I also feel like I'm missing something after my experience with the beta.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fattony12000
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PS4 went away for another RMA and money is bad for reasons beyond my control but I just feel sceptical about Destiny and its long term life potential for the people who don't plan to do the Crucible PvP like mad. Even though I happily played and grinded up 10k Glimmer and a ton of unidentified gear on low level mobs by running a circuit that should have been the most dull thing ever, a bunch of times, without minding it at all. Would I continue playing after reaching level 30+ through gear and doing everything PvE and figuring out how to do the raid with clanmates without anybody dying in order to get the last achievement?

Right now I'd do Destiny only if I had more than enough money to buy it and survive the rest of the month with. Its digital pricing on PSN being more than it costs to buy a physical copy and pay for shipping, or go downtown to the expensive store on an expensive bus ticket, does not help of course.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im not excited for it in the slightest. It plays alright and looks great, but it was really boring (going by the beta). Unless the final product has more substance than the beta, I'm not interested at all.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Neither, and I'm buying the white PS4.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to it, but only because I've played the Alpha and wanted some more of it afterwards.

Don't think it will keep me occupied for more then a few weeks though, and that's fine with me. (October incoming!)

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MEATBALL

I don't know what to say, you've gotten a good idea of what the game is by playing the beta and you're not into it, you shouldn't feel like you have to be. I'm super excited for the game's release, having loved the Alpha and the Beta (I'm not particularly concerned about the game's size even if it winds up smaller than you might hope) but I also totally wouldn't be surprised at all to see Destiny turn out to be a non-essential 4/5 kind of game. It definitely strikes me as the sort of game you're either going to be super into or you're just going to completely lukewarm on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did not play the beta and im more hyped then iv ever been for any game

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By kagato

I also feel like I should be more excited. The news that there may not be that many maps is slightly bumming me out, but hopefully it's still a large game as advertised. I really don't want to run around on that Old Russia map for eight hours.

That's my major concern, I'm really excited to play it again, i am not a Halo fan at all and yet i couldn't get enough of Destiny during Alpha/Beta access. If we spend all our time running around 2 or 3 maps I'm going to be super bummed, i like the crucible stuff but i am not a competitive player, i prefer co-op. I know Bungie have the reputation for telling great stories with compelling lore so I'm really hoping that makes its way into the game.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm buying it because I had fun in the demos but I'm not overly excited like I thought I would be. I think that's just being caused by a bunch of nasty stuff going on in the industry now, which I'm strongly considering cutting myself away from.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#42  Edited By Hector

I didn't enjoy the beta at all. All the characters had monotone voices and the gameplay was like any other MMO...boring! The most fun I had was dancing with some strangers on the Tower, that's about it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, just canceled my preorder. I've been going back and forth on this for a while, but it seemed like the most rational thing to do.

Why? Because I still don't know what the hell the game is. I understand the types of missions you may embark on, but I still don't know what the story structure is going to be like. Will there be a variety of narrative-driven missions that keep you going? Or will it devolve into a loot grind where you go to a place, shoot guys, and have your ghost say something about "this happened here once."

From my time with it, I didn't see any hints of Bungie at their campaign best. Meticulously designed encounters, fun set piece moments, tactical battles, and chaotic improvisation seemed to be missing or greatly diminished. I spent more time standing behind a wall and popping a stationary enemy to watch their health bar go down, whereas the only real bullet sponges in Halo were Hunters or the handful of bosses in Halo 2 (and even those would keep you on the move). Even a Scarab boss battle would give you dozens of approaches. A Devil Walker would just sort of... sit there.

I hope the reviews are super positive and that it's an adventure worth embarking on. But for now, I can wait a couple weeks to hear the consensus. Hopefully at the worst, it just feels like a solid first act in a grand story.

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im not excited for it in the slightest. It plays alright and looks great, but it was really boring (going by the beta). Unless the final product has more substance than the beta, I'm not interested at all.

All final products have more substance than their betas.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

That's funny, because I had the opposite reaction. I couldn't have cared less about Destiny before the beta, but I got bored and decided to give it a go. It's now my most anticipated game of the fall and I'm pre-loaded and ready to play at midnight. Conceptually I can definitely see why you'd be lukewarm on it, but I think it was mostly the social aspects that sold me on it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syz said:

@rongalaxy said:

All final products have more substance than their betas.

I don't mean overall substance/content. Looking back on it I should have said "a more substantive way of keeping my attention". If it's just a first person shooter with some MMO type hooks/mission design its gonna get really boring really fast for me. Some people are content with grinding 100's of hours doing the same things with slightly different skins, and that's cool. I'm not one of those people though, which is why the alpha/beta disappointed me. I totally admit that I could be wrong and the mission design could be varied and it could have an amazing story/cool quests, but right now I don't really have any faith that it will. Maybe it'll end up surprising me, and I won't object to that.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played the beta. Thought it was boring. I liked the design of the dudes and the guns and stuff but that's about it. (as a side note I'm a huge FPS fan and love games with Diablo like loot. Borderlands was a fantastic game for me). I also fucking love Halo, and while gunplay is very similar I think it's the addition of pressing the left trigger before the right trigger that kills game for me. Somehow it's fine in Call of Duty but I'm not a fan of it anywhere else. Especially if the game is a bit slower, like Destiny seems to be.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was very curious, played the alpha, really liked it, got to that one boss with four legs, fucking hated it, tried the beta, started liking it, yet again got to a boss...... stopped playing.

Its too similar to Borderlands in the bullet sponge area; I don't want to attack a boss in its weakpoint and watch its health take 10 minutes to scratch off, that shit is boring. Now I don't care about it at all.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I agree with most of you. When I first saw Destiny I thought it would be truly open world kind of like Borderlands. Then I played the alpha/beta and was hugely disappointed. Loading into maps that are relatively small compared to other open world games was a huge bummer especially after seeing that first E3 gameplay demo. I was super excited before, but now I think I'll probably pass.

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By syz
    @spilledmilkfactory said:

That's funny, because I had the opposite reaction. I couldn't have cared less about Destiny before the beta, but I got bored and decided to give it a go. It's now my most anticipated game of the fall and I'm pre-loaded and ready to play at midnight. Conceptually I can definitely see why you'd be lukewarm on it, but I think it was mostly the social aspects that sold me on it.

Similarly, I only started paying attention to it after somebody dumped a spare beta key on me. Although in my case I grew up playing Quake competitively and I've generally thought that the FPS genre has been hot garbage for ~15 years--particularly Halo.

But after a couple days in the beta I put in a preorder. Ended up with 800 grimoire points.

Strange how essentially a third or less of any of the subclasses in the beta is infinitely more fun than playing as Master Chief, or some copy/paste US soldier. Sure, it's still going to be restricted by console dominance, but I've come to accept that the genre will probably never overcome that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.