Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

I'm not excited for Destiny and i feel like i should be.

• 111 results
    FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I played the beta and actually bored me, I don't know why..

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'll put it this way: I enjoyed the beta, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy doing what I did in the beta for 30+ hours, especially alone.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@oldmanlight: I usually want loot games but there wasnt much in the beta.

But maybe your excitement will increase if I tell you about my friend Jesus Christ.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Me either. I thought the alpha was fine. It seemed well made, but I was never compelled to even hit the level cap. I've always been a fan of the Halo games, but this just wasn't really doing much for me at all. I was way more excited about it before I played it. I think I'd much rather play the new Theatrhythm and Hyrule Warriors.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By maddman60620
    @thehbk said:

@oldmanlight: I usually want loot games but there wasnt much in the beta.

But maybe your excitement will increase if I tell you about my friend Jesus Christ.

No Caption Provided

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By nasp

as a person who has diablo and borderlands in my top 5 games of all time,i can say that if destiny is just more of the beta then im sold.not only do i think it will easily win my goty,but my fave game of all time.it takes everything i love about borderlands and makes it bigger,more balanced,more social,and more mmoish.which is what i wanted borderlands to become,but it hasnt.another thing it did was make an amazing pvp component,which after playing the beta it might be the best multiplayer ive ever played.so take the best loot game ive ever played and the best multiplayer shooter ive ever played and combine them,and thats what makes it so amazing.i would say that destiny is going to be one of those games that you either love it or hate it.alot of people wont like it which is fine,but alot of people will love it.as a person who looks at the borderlands forums,and watches the biggest borderlands youtubers and streamers.i can say that the majority of people in the borderlands community love destiny and cant wait for it to come out.so if people dont like destiny thats fine,but destiny will be very successful since the borderlands community is behind it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By EXTomar

Don't worry about it. People had the same issue with TitanFall where there is a lot of fatigue in the FPS genre right now. If you don't want to play another space sci-fi FPS game then don't force yourself.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By SomberOwl

I'm having the same issue. I honestly don't even know if I'm going to get it. They say they're putting out contend for 10 years. That seems like way to much of a commitment to a game for me. I like one and done games. Plus the Alpha didn't "wow" me in any way. I know it's just an alpha but. Honestly I'm pretty burnt on FPS at this point. Destiny just seems generic. I might have to play it to really get a feel for it but I'm just not sure. Ironicaly I'm really looking forward to the new Borderlands game, and considering people keep comparing Destiny to Borderlands I should be excited but... well see.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well maybe you should be, after watching this hella rad advertisement!

Loading Video...

Well, the music's good at least...

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#60  Edited By GunstarRed

@glottery: Oh wow. I didn't think I could get less interested. That trailer is... yep, I just watched that. The tone is completely different from any of the gameplay trailers/ playing the game. I get that Activision want to appeal to the biggest audience possible, but this seems like a really poor way to sell your game.

I love that we are in this new generation of amazing visuals and yet they still need expensive CGI to sell games.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You're not alone. The beta really didn't do it for me. And all the info about there only being 6 worlds and once you're dumped into said world, you have can see al it has to offer and then just back track for quests really turned me off. Hope it's all misinformation and it turns out to be great.

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am passing on Destiny myself after the beta, to me it felt like every mission was a horde mode of enemies coming at you and you just had to shoot them all.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Loved the alpha, really enjoyed the beta. I'm not hyped up, but I'm certainly looking forward to the release.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#64  Edited By FinalDasa

I feel the exact same way. The Halo franchise was one of a few I actively followed and purchased almost everything for. Even buying and reading some of the novels.

Yet when I look at Destiny I just don't feel anything towards it. I think I was expecting more from Bungie and this next generation of consoles. I don't mind a Diablo/Boderlands like game but Destiny seems to straddle the line between so many different genres, and never commits to one wholeheartedly, and will never do one good enough.

I want it to be good but I foresee a 3 or 4 star game with some baffling design choices mixed in (no matching making for certain modes for instance). Here's hoping I'm wrong.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Don't feel ashamed. You are under no obligation to play or like any game, no matter how much hype or how many positive reviews it gets. It's all a matter of taste.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never got the "I SHOULD be excited, but I'm not" thing. Not everyone is going to like the same thing.

Also I'm really curious how this game does. All I see everywhere is negativity for the game.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Then go play something else! I have zero interest in Destiny, and haven't been interested from day 1.

Get off all the hype trains and play what interests you. :)

Pixelrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a game that is "bigger" than anything they've done before, it just feels really small. Its like they had an ambition and everything got halved in some weird way. I played a lot of the beta, trying to convince myself, but I didn't like it. To me the story is not interesting, the missions are way too generic, and the only challenge for me was dedicating 25 minutes to a single bullet sponge boss. Everything about this game feels like they are so far up their own ass about it that they will spin flaws as great ideas.

The approach they are taking for this seems like a way to sell a bunch of DLC to people who want something new from the halo people. A lot of it seems gross to me, the amount of money spent on marketing (licensing Led Zeppelin for an ad is crazy expensive), and the little real substance that seemed to be in the actual game. It makes me really not like it.

Maybe it'll be fun, but if I buy it I'm waiting a few weeks and letting the truths bubble up to the service, seeing how much it really has to stand on. I try to not be pessimistic toward a new game, but this one is throwing so many red flags at me that I can't shake.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#70  Edited By KaneRobot

Also I'm really curious how this game does. All I see everywhere is negativity for the game.

Same here. Seems weird as hell that a new series big game from a fairly well-liked developer is getting this reaction. I'm certainly part of it, I think it's the only game I've ever cancelled a preorder for.

I'm assuming the sales will be strong, but I can't imagine a world where this game is still thriving a year from now (let alone whatever their asinine "10 year" proposition is). The era of one dominant shooter ruling above everything else appears to be quickly coming to an end.

A lot of it is Bungie/Activision's fault, because there is still a lot we don't know about the game. If it turns out to be by design (as in, they aren't showing people stuff because what's there is not that substantial), the resulting shitstorm may be more entertaining than the game.

Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never understand the obligatory Pre-release Hate...

Pixelrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Pixelrat

@istealdreams said:

I don't think it is pre-release hate. There are very legitimate questions about this game. It is just being a responsible consumer for the most part, which is something a lot of people buying video games don't take into account, and that is why you see the same anti-consumer practices from the huge publishers again and again. Unfortunately if people don't start speaking more with their dollar we are all doomed.

They push the pre-order so hard on people so they think they must buy it, a lot of people don't bother waiting until the questions are answered. The publishers want you day one, not month 2. If you are someone like me who only spends money on games infrequently then taking the chance on something so creatively shrouded by marketing isn't a compelling deal on day one.

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't even know this was coming out if not for Jeff talking about it on the bombcast a lot. I didn't play the beta, and I don't like Halo or Borderlands, which this just seems to be a combination of. So, yes, I agree. I'm actually kind of astonished at the amount of hype that apparently exists for this, considering how bland and mediocre it looks to me.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kanerobot: It seems to me like they're making a game for the "casual" consumer. Not, the casual game type, but the "I buy one or two games a year" type. It doesn't appeal to the more experienced gamers (which are the ones leaving the comments you're seeing), but to someone that only buys Halo, CoD, GTA and "insert sports game" Destiny comes off as something completely new and exciting while still being similar enough to fall into their comfort zone.

Pete0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't understand the hype for this game, maybe I've aged out of the genre. The characters just look like they put different coats on a spartan model and in the videos I've watched, I'd have a hard time saying it wasn't Halo.

I felt the same way about Titan Fall, it just baffled me that everyone was so excited and yet it looked like yet another identical shooter. I think that game really struggled with the scale though as it looked no different if you were on foot or in a mech titan.

I guess if I still had a big group of online friends that all played the same stuff there might be the draw of running around comparing our action figures as we dressed them up, but that would be about it for me.

shozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why I'm excited:

• I had a good time with the alpha & beta. I capped all the classes on both of 'em.
    • The shooting is fun.
    • The environments are beautiful.
    • Speed bikes, 'nuff said.
    • Some really cool looking character models and a diverse set of creatures.
    • Awesome lighting and a sense of presence with the dinkle-bot.

Why I'm hesitant:

• Repetitive game-play/locations.
    • All the classes feel the same.
    • Not much diversity in the weapons.
    • Skill sets seem shallow and levels just boost their strength/CD.
    • No communication to other players.
    • Alpha/Beta had a very low population
    • Another, you are the last hope of the universe story lines.
    • DLC announced very early.

No one here needs to sell you on a game, or tell you why you SHOULD be excited. You have to come up with those reasons on your own. At the end of the day we had access to a small portion of the game. I'm eager to dive in and see what this game is about.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just excited for a co-op bases shooter that isn't Borderlands.

Mighty_Taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm right there with you. It feels like I should be psyched for Destiny. I'm not. I'll wait for the reviews, if the Bombcrew says its amazing I'll pick it up. If not, I'll keep right clicking on things in Diablo III.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Can't say about the game, but I'm really excited for the inevitable internet shitstorm when it gets an 80 on Metacritic. It'll be a nice change of controversy.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am pretty excited for it.

I was bummed at first because of how limited the skill tree seemed. What redeemed it for me was the combat and the strike missions. The act of shooting dudes(the whole point of the game) is just super engaging and responsive. I shouldn't be surprised since it's Bungie, but I really loved how it felt.

thedarkmatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super excited for it! Been waiting for such a long time it almost feel unreal that we'll finally get our hands on it tomorrow.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I've always enjoyed Bungie's work on Halo and i really love loot rpg's like diablo, borderlands, torchlight, etc. I played the beta up to the level cap and while this game seemed very pretty, and the shooting felt just like Bungie's kind of shooting mechanics, i just didn't feel like it was fun. The most fun i had the whole time was dancing at inappropriate times during multiplayer matches or during free roam. This bothers me because if the maker of a series i really loved is doing a game that blends with other genres i also love, then why don't i like this?

Yeah, I think I'm with you. I'm worried that it'll feel like you're backtracking through the same areas too frequently. And I didn't much care for the competitive multiplayer in the beta. But I'm hoping that the final product ends up being more engaging than the beta was. Everything seems well-considered and "big budget" and stuff, but... something about it feels off.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I switched my preorder to smash bros. I'll get that, Persona Arena and Borderlands to play with my buds. The beta did not impress me.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeff said:

@oldmanlight said:

I've always enjoyed Bungie's work on Halo and i really love loot rpg's like diablo, borderlands, torchlight, etc. I played the beta up to the level cap and while this game seemed very pretty, and the shooting felt just like Bungie's kind of shooting mechanics, i just didn't feel like it was fun. The most fun i had the whole time was dancing at inappropriate times during multiplayer matches or during free roam. This bothers me because if the maker of a series i really loved is doing a game that blends with other genres i also love, then why don't i like this?

Yeah, I think I'm with you. I'm worried that it'll feel like you're backtracking through the same areas too frequently. And I didn't much care for the competitive multiplayer in the beta. But I'm hoping that the final product ends up being more engaging than the beta was. Everything seems well-considered and "big budget" and stuff, but... something about it feels off.

Maybe they should have spent less money promoting the game and more making something that actually felt as large/epic as they seem to want to make us think it is?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

I was bummed at first because of how limited the skill tree seemed.

Well there are separate sub classes each with their own skill trees and all the high level equipment has skill trees as well.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny has been real weird for me, at first I wasn't too excited. Then I got my hands on the beta and had fun playing it, and became interested. Now I'm back at the "meh" stage.

Looking back, I think that beta gave me my fill and I'm looking at other games to get my fix. Not that I think Destiny is going to suck or anything, but like Jeff mentioned something feels really off about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
    deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I think it's unfair to expect Bungie to take things they've done well in the past (for me at least) and do them again in Destiny. But I wanted them to do some of keep some of the best elements of their last 4 games and do them again in different ways.

I've purposely ignore a lot of info about Destiny after the Beta so if I do get it, I'll not have anything really given away, (not that I think story is a huge element here) but the elements of Bungie games that I liked and aren't present here are

• I think they went the wrong way with the multiplayer, I think they should made it like loadouts (or everyone starts with the same and weapons are scattered around the map) and keep levels out of it. Have a good set of weapons that gives the great benefits and tradeoffs and have the fun encounters you could have in Halo MP.
    • Get the dumb multiplayer in there (like Griffball etc) and throw in tonnes of customization options (this could be there, we may not have heard of it yet) so it can be goofy and community modes can be made.
    • Get vehicles in there and get 8v8 (or more) matches going with tanks etc.

Those are what come to mind for me in my sleepy state... I want my conventional multiplayer but I also want the dumb side of it where it can be silly and frantic and not very technical. I found the multiplayer to be the disappointing element in the beta and I wonder how it's going to be in the final release.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@vaddixbell said:

While I think it's unfair to expect Bungie to take things they've done well in the past (for me at least) and do them again in Destiny. But I wanted them to do some of keep some of the best elements of their last 4 games and do them again in different ways.

I've purposely ignore a lot of info about Destiny after the Beta so if I do get it, I'll not have anything really given away, (not that I think story is a huge element here) but the elements of Bungie games that I liked and aren't present here are

• I think they went the wrong way with the multiplayer, I think they should made it like loadouts (or everyone starts with the same and weapons are scattered around the map) and keep levels out of it. Have a good set of weapons that gives the great benefits and tradeoffs and have the fun encounters you could have in Halo MP.
    • Get the dumb multiplayer in there (like Griffball etc) and throw in tonnes of customization options (this could be there, we may not have heard of it yet) so it can be goofy and community modes can be made.
    • Get vehicles in there and get 8v8 (or more) matches going with tanks etc.

Those are what come to mind for me in my sleepy state... I want my conventional multiplayer but I also want the dumb side of it where it can be silly and frantic and not very technical. I found the multiplayer to be the disappointing element in the beta and I wonder how it's going to be in the final release.

Just to address a some of things you mentioned:

• Aside from specific community events player levels don't have any effect on competitive multiplayer. Every weapon of the same type (auto rifle, scout rifle, shotgun, etc.) does the same amount of damage in competitive mp no matter what the actual damage value of it is listed as. The only difference different weapons make in competitive are the effects (rate of fire, handling, and the special attributes that are unique to certain weapons).

And while weapons aren't scattered around the map per se, they did a pretty good job of replicating that classic arena shooter map control aspect in Destiny. Essentially, the ammo drops serve as the weapon spawns. Green boxes fill your secondary weapon (your shotgun/ sniper slot), and these are common but not super abundant. These serve the role of the the mid-tier weapons of a game like Halo that populate the maps. The purple ammo, which fills your heavy weapon, only drops in at specific times at specific points on the map, like the power weapons of Halo such as the Spartan Laser or Rockets. Fighting over heavy ammo and being prepared for when it will spawn in is pretty much exactly like fighting over rockets and timing the spawns in a Halo game.
    • I agree with you on the dumb mp, I did enjoy the goofier playlists of Halo from time to time and would like to see that stuff in Destiny.
    • There are vehicles in Destiny on the larger maps, just as Halo, though I don't think there are any playlists above 6v6. There is, however, a vehicle oriented playlist called Combined Arms.

As someone that got pretty deep into Halo multiplayer back in the day, Destiny has enough of what I loved about Halo while still being it's own thing. Small team arena multiplayer with a focus on map control isn't very abundant aside from Halo, and Destiny definitely nails that aspect for me. Destiny certainly feels different, but it has enough of what I love about Bungie games that the differences actually make it more interesting to me.

dr_ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the Alpha was was like, "oh man Bungie really has something here."

Then I played the Beta and realized what they had was the same thing, repeating itself over and over and over.

And then I canceled my preorder.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
    deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Thanks for the reply, cleared up a lot.

If I understand you correctly, all weapons (of the same type eg, auto rifle) will have the same stats across the board (clip size, ammo capacity, reload speed, damage, recoil etc). If that's the case, then that's fine and solid design, but if any of those change based on your character and/or rare gun than that would be weird and would be off putting (for me).

I think a lot of people would say Halo:Reach (and 4 later) had a ridiculous amount of customization for game modes so if Bungie gets that in and lets the community start creating modes (and dumb ones at that) that would be great but I'm not sure how realistic that I understand the huge technical challenge behind it (and maybe the option to be able to sell new multiplayer modes as a possible motivating factor)

Lastly, seen some of the vehicles and it could be very interesting. Need to see the variety in the vehicles after the game launches to see what I think. I don't need much bigger than 6v6 to be honest, but I liked the 8v8 size (because it's big enough to be crazy but not too many that it just becomes noise and your personal impact isn't that important).

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything I have seen on this game looks like shit... Not really, but the game just kind of looks boring to me.

thedarkmatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I first saw destiny I thought it offered these huge open worlds.

Then I played the beta and it felt more like I was choosing levels, rather than traversing a seamless open world.

This kinda made it feel less like an epic adventure I was hoping for.

I wish it was more choose a planet, and explore the seamless world, and less loading screens.

Will still buy, and pray that the other planets are bigger, filled with stuff and treasure.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

I think I would be more excited for it if I PlayStation Plus for PS4. Oh, well. I have Persona 4 Arena Ultimax coming, and I'm excited for that.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in full popcorn mode for this thing. Whatever happens I'll be super interested in what this thing becomes. Ultra expensive flop or super impressive weird new Halo thing?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pixelrat said:

@istealdreams said:

I don't think it is pre-release hate. There are very legitimate questions about this game. It is just being a responsible consumer for the most part, which is something a lot of people buying video games don't take into account, and that is why you see the same anti-consumer practices from the huge publishers again and again. Unfortunately if people don't start speaking more with their dollar we are all doomed.

They push the pre-order so hard on people so they think they must buy it, a lot of people don't bother waiting until the questions are answered. The publishers want you day one, not month 2. If you are someone like me who only spends money on games infrequently then taking the chance on something so creatively shrouded by marketing isn't a compelling deal on day one.

Eh...I'd say it really is mostly pre-release hate. It happens to all AAA games.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#97  Edited By Hawkerace

Game looks and plays like a generic 00s FPS. A relic of its time I'd argue. Very polished, but how many iterations of a game you've played before can you validate paying full price (and some people a whole new console to play it more or less)?

Shiiiiiiiiit.

FearMyFlop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By FearMyFlop

I like shooters, I loved Halo, and I couldn't be more indifferent about Destiny. I guess I just prefer offline story based games. The story introduced in the beta was really cool but there's just no indication as to how much of this game is even going to touch on things like that. The mystery around this game is the thing that has been driving my interests to pick it up.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something about the hub area just seems over-sanitary. I think people throwing around terms like "Borderlands" and "Star Wars Bounty Hunters" and "Fallout like world" set me up to believe this game would have a lot of character. When instead it feels like something out of a lore-heavy character-dry Warhammer 40k Paladin campaign. idk

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Crembaw

That's Okay.

I'm pretty unsure about the game myself, but I've got a good five friends already onboard so I want to discover what there IS in the game (however little it may be) with them.

This happens all the time. Some things just don't grab us even if they hit all the buttons on paper. Just roll with it, and don't let anyone pressure you into making a purchase you don't feel good about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.