Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

I've become the new Brad Shoemaker...

caleums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As someone who held out on Destiny upon its release, I found myself listening to hours and hours of conversation (especially on the Bombcast) about a game that I felt like I just couldn't relate to.

And while I find it humurous that Brad has a tendency to fall down bottomless video game holes (Dota, Destiny, etc.), it just seemed like I couldn't sympathize with loving an ongoing game so much like he and others do when it came to Destiny.

Then I got the Legendary Edition and tried it for myself. I like a good loot treadmill, so why the hell not?

Four characters later...I finally "get it."

I realize now that one of the biggest things about Destiny is not the gameplay (which is totally fine if you solo it) but the social aspect. Strike Playlists quickly became my favorite thing to do not only for the loot but also for the fact that I was playing with other people and having a really good time.

And now here I am at 292 Light and going out of my mind in anticipation of doing the raid for the first time with some other duders. I am actually thinking about the game more than anything else in my life right now. I've signed-up and friended-up as much as I could in the past 48 hours for anyone and everyone playing Destiny, something I have never ever done with a video game before.

If I could get just one more gun...one more drop...one more engram...one more group to take me in and raid with...

I have become the new Brad Shoemaker. God help me.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@caleums: Welcome to the club. This is exactly the appeal of Destiny. If it wasn't for my solid clan of guys I have been playing with for a year and a half, and our close sister clan, Lincoln Force Dot RU, there is no way I'd still be playing Destiny. But I've found such close friends here at Giantbomb playing Destiny it's crazy. Several of the guys in my clan have even meet in real life now, gone out to eat and hung out for a bit when we were in town on vacations and such, especially since a lot of us live between Chicago and Dallas. We've even joked about going to PAX South together. Destiny's social aspect is the most important part of the game, and sometimes I wish Bungie even realized this more than they seemingly do.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You nailed why it's addicting. The gameplay is incredibly tight and kept me, a mainly solo player, interested for the entirety of the games story content plus some extra. The times I did play with friends, I would end up playing until 4 in the morning, something I rarely do these days. This game is fucking dangerous when mixed with friends.

climax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm with you. I play the dailies, enjoy the crucible, and trying to find a solid group to go do Trials. I knew I wanted to play this game even with all the negative feedback it got, but now that I finally got it last month, its quite a ride. Even solo, which I played most of it, its still a hell of a time.

caleums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: Oh man, that is awesome. Who knew a console video game could bring people together like that?

I look forward to the day when I pop on Destiny, hook up with buddies, talk about life and love, and then immediately shoot a Hallowed Knight in the fucking face.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caleums: Yeah, you can get pretty close to people when you spend 3 nights a week for 2-3 hours at a time doing Raids, for months. Now we just jump on weekly to do the King's Fall Challenge mode on 3 characters once a week and complete a full Raid, takes about 3 hours or so one night a week. That's us cutting back. It gets us the most out of playing that week with the least time investment, plus we get to chill and catch up for a few hours each week. Even KF Hard is autopilot for us now. If it wasn't for us needing a few more 320 pieces I think we'd just run the old Raids sometimes as well for fun.

caleums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: Good Lord you guys must be 315+ light. I feel like a noob at my 292 and haven't completed the raid once yet. Do you find that the best possible gear really is in the raid, or did you score better armor/weapons doing quests or dailys?

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hestilllives19

@caleums: All of us are between 315-319 on each character. My highest is my Titan at 2 points away from 319. There are now a lot of things to break that barrier. I'll try to break it down between PvP and PvE.

If you do PvP there are several things to get you there. Do your Shaxx Quest so that you can complete the weekly bounty. That usually takes a few hours a week and can just be done while playing crucible. Now you can burn 3 of Coins every other match or so and have a chance at Exotic drops as you do that, in any game type. The reward is Nightfall tier so a possible drop up to 310. Then do Trials each weekend. Use an LFG site if you can't find a group. Just finishing the bounties will net you 50 marks and likely a 300-310 piece of gear, with a chance of a 310+ Exotic. If you managed to scrape together 5 wins (only 3 wins if they are your first 3 and you buy all 3 boons) you will get a 300-310 Armor piece and 7 wins will net you a 300-310 weapon. If your card is 9-0 you can go to The Lighthouse and you will receive a 310+ Primary weapon. There is also a chance you get an Exotic there as well. Another thing with Trials is that you will get random rewards at the end of matches, sometimes receiving Class items 300-310. Then you have Iron Banner, which starts tomorrow actually. There are packages at Rank 3 and 5. Those packages actually contain really great rewards, usually a Weapon or Armor 300-320 and a Class Item or Ghost 300-320. Games can also drop items up to 310 I think, anything that he sells that week, and what drops depends on your Rank. Basically do the bounties everyday and wait to turn in your Weekly bounties until the weekend, since XP grows as the week goes on.

For PvE, there is actually a lot more. The first being the good old Nightfall. Those rewards are items up to 310. Then, as of today, the last day, you have Sparrow Racing League or SRL. Upon leveling up to Rank 3, sadly if you haven't been playing you won't be able to do just today, you could have gotten up to a 320 Helmet and Class Item. Next you have the Court of Oryx Quest from Eris. Go to the Court of Oryx, participate in a Rank 1 Rune event, and then go back and talk to Eris. She will give you a Quest that requires you to do 6 Rank 1 Reciprocal Runes, 3 Rank 2 Stolen Runes, and 1 Rank 3 Antiquated Rune. Load into the court until you find a large group doing Court or look on LFG for a group wanting to do court. Once you finish she will give you a 300 Legendary Artifact. Another quest, not sure how you obtain it, has you do 5 Strike playlists, 5 Heroic Strikes, and a Nightfall. That reward is a Legendary 300 Shotgun or Fusion (choose the shotgun). Speaking of that, another reward for a random Quest is a Legendary 1000 Yard Stare sniper rifle, keep that, it's pretty good and you may not get a better one, even though it drops at like 220. There are many other special quests that lead to Exotic weapons, but it would take far to long to explain those. Next up is King's Fall. King's Fall is the number 1 way to grind to higher light. There are 5 separate major drop locations, Totems, Warpriest, Golgoroth, Sisters, and Oryx. Normal loot drops between 300-310, and Hard drops between 310-320. Loot drops are as follows, all of these are possibilities, you may get nothing, it's just how it goes. (Hard includes all Normal drops as well if you complete Hard before Normal in that week)

Totems: Ghost, Fusion Rifle or Shotgun (Most likely Ghost)

Warpriest: Sniper Rifle, Machine Gun or Rocket Launcher (Most likely random)

Golgoroth: Boots, Gauntlets, or Chest Armor (Most likely random)

Sisters: Class item or Secondary Weapon (Sniper, Shotgun, or Fusion) (Most likely Class Item)

Oryx: Helmets, Primaries, Secondary's, or Class Item (Most likely Primary)

Keep in mind Warpriest, Golgoroth, and Oryx now each have a challenge, depending on the week. This week, until the end of the day is Warpriest, and tomorrow is Golgoroth. A week from tomorrow is Oryx. Those rewards are a guaranteed 320 Item and a 320 Artifact on Hard and 310's on Normal. So doing Warpriest on Hard tonight could net you 1 320 Machine Gun & Artifact, 1 310 Rocket and Artifact, plus your normal Hard rewards for Warpriest of a 312 Sniper Rifle and a 307 Rocket Launcher. Warpriest Challenge nets you any of the 3 weapons, Golgoroth gives you any of the 3 Armor, and Oryx gives you either a Primary or Helmet. I hope that makes sense.

Also, Xur. He's like Destiny's weekly Santa. Make sure you save up enough Strange Coins each week for him. Like this week he had great stuff all around. All 4 items were some of the best in the game for each character.

Note: I took a second to creep on your character, looks like your basically hitting the wall of max light you will effectively be able to obtain without doing these things I've mentioned. Keep in mind the goal is to obtain Legendary (Purple) and Exotic (Yellow) gear and use those Rares you have to infuse them up to the 290ish mark you are at. Legendary and Exotic gear grant you better stats and perks so you want to use those as much as you have available and use your Rares as food to feed to your better gear to make the light number as high as the blues. Take a look at my Guandians if you need a quick guide on where you want your character to be. Notice how my Armor pieces kind of compliment my playstyle, I prefer to use Sniper Rifles so all of my Gauntlets have Grenade throw and Sniper Reload, and my boots either have Rocket or Machine Gun depending on if I played PvP or PvE last on that character (I have both on all 3 characters). Once you find Lengendary gear that compliments your playstyle and has the desired base Strength, Intellect or Dicipline, then you start infusing that gear up to your highest levels with other gear you obtain. I know this is kind of crazy long, but I hope this helps you out some.

caleums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: This is the most straightforward and helpful info guide I've read that helps me understand the next steps to take. Wow. Truly in your debt.

It's funny that you emphasize a couple of things for PvE, and actually that's what I've been salivating to do the most recently - the King's Fall raid and getting together with folks to help with the Nightfall. I haven't completed either yet (got halfway through the raid, which was actually a hell of a lot of fun).

It wasn't until you said it and I started thinking about it that I now understand why Legendaries and Exotics are so crucial. It's not necessarily the stats they give (I've been scrapping 95% of mine because their light is way lower than the blues I have equipped) but the perks and bonuses they offer; and then it's simply a matter of feeding them other guns to get their light to where you want it.

It almost makes me want to start all over and cling to all the Legendaries and Exotics I threw away because their stats didn't impress me. But I've put in more than 50 hours at least into this character so I don't want to throw away all that "work."

Can't thank you enough for this. I'll be reading this daily to help me stay on track. Cheers!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Heh, same here. Picked up vanilla-ass Destiny on a whim last week even though I was sick of hearing about it on the podcast (hey, it was 20 bucks, and I had to know).

... I think I really like Destiny. I'm definitely going to grab the expansions as soon as I can. Once I did the first strike, I was hooked.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I fall down back down the Destiny hole every couple of months. My problem is that I don't have a group that regularly play Destiny. I have yet to do the King's Fall raid because of this. Destiny is my podcast game, which means I will be playing a lot of it this week.

caleums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonel_pockets: You know that was my exact problem for the longest time until I found a couple of great sites that alleviated that issue instantly.

If you don't mind random people picking you up for their raid, then using destinylfg.net to list yourself as looking for a group is your best bet. People usually respond to you quick and will either message you directly on the site or will invite you to their PSN party. The catch, though, is that you don't quite know what kind of people you'll be matched with (unfriendly, angry, teens/kids, etc.). Whenever I listed myself I always made it a point to say "Looking for friendly group" or "looking for chill adults." It helps weed out people you may not want to play with.

BUT, I just recently discovered the100.io - which is a place where you tell the site what kind of Destiny player you are and the kind of people you'd like to play with, and the site matches you up with like-minded and like-scheduled people. The first group that the site matched me with has been a dream. Everyone is incredibly nice, helpful, and chill. It has taken my love of playing Destiny and multiplied it 10x. I can't recommend it enough.

In fact, I am now a Sherpa for the King's Fall Normal Mode. I'm starting something called Normal Mode Mondays where I take newbies or loot seekers on the raid and going from start to finish (if possible). It's going to be a lot of fun.

Let me know if you sign up with a free account at The 100, and I will send you an invite to our group. Maybe you could join me on a future Monday evening!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.