Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Luke Smith on Destiny - Bungie didn't understand what Destiny could be

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In an interview over on Gamesradar Luke Smith, creative director of Destiny and he of maybe saying things he shouldn't, while talking about the change to from Dinklebot to Nolanbot said the following.

"I think that the Ghost is a really great metaphor for Destiny in this way where, I don't know that we, as Bungie, understood the type of game that Destiny could be".

As someone who follows a bunch of metal bands, I'm used to hearing them say things like "The new album is our heaviest ever" or "We're going back to our roots". Which basically translates as "we fucked up last time and put out a bit of a stinker, but this is our attempt to get you to believe us that we won't do that again" before usually doing it again.

He's also quoted as saying "better to ship and learn something", which sure, I guess that's alright with an Early Access model, but I'm not sure it's a great attitude for a full priced game. If you want to learn something, hold a beta period or get a testing group in somewhere closer to when you've time to make design changes rather than burning players.

I stopped playing Destiny because there just wasn't anything to hold my interest. The mechanics of Destiny are the best shooting mechanics I've played in years but the rest is just very bland to me. I find everything around Destiny more interesting than anything in Destiny.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I have always respected Luke Smith's work, but I have never liked his attitude. I think he is the perfect example of the type of people who work for Bungie and their attitude towards consumers.

Destiny is Bag o' Broken Glass

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think that last quote from him shows that while Bungie may have learned something from this process he definitely hasn't. Luke Smith continues to sound like an unlikable prick.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It only cost me $60 to help them learn something!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

But seriously, I don't want to put someone down just because they said stuff on the internet. I love you Luke Smith, next time, if you could, please try to work this stuff out before you allow people to spend money on your product. Also please apply what you learn and don't let Bungie be consumed by the darkness!

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

But seriously, I don't want to put someone down just because they said stuff on the internet. I love you Luke Smith, next time, if you could, please try to work this stuff out before you allow people to spend money on your product. Also please apply what you learn and don't let Bungie be consumed by the darkness!

To be fair, his role on the original game was as the lead designer of the Vault of Glass, a project that was apparently very secretive and cut off from the rest of the development team. It also happened to be the unquestionable best part of vanilla Destiny by a wide margin. He's the face of the development team right now because he was the director for The Taken King, but let's not lay the blame for Destiny's failings at launch on him personally.

Not to say he's shown the best judgement when speaking publicly, because clearly he hasn't, but given his role as the lead for Vault of Glass and then The Taken King, I think it's pretty safe to say he has the best track record of any high level creative leads working on Destiny.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.