Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Not getting any rewards after story missions

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I stopped playing through the story for a while after I got about halfway through the Venus missions. I replayed a bunch of the story missions on Earth and the moon for fun and to complete a bunch of bounties, which I stopped to do to level up some weapons I got. Before I knew it, I was at level 20. I started doing the story missions again, but even though I put it at the level 20 difficulty, I still get no rewards after doing the missions, even when it's the first time I've completed them. I get the story item to take back to the tower or elsewhere, if there is one, but that's it. Anyone else having this problem? I literally (yes, literally) haven't gotten a single piece of gear of any kind after a story mission for half of the Venus missions and all of the Mars missions.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Destiny loot generator is fubar.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Sterling

Not all of them give a reward. Only a couple on each planet give a reward. Which are the main story ones, the ones with the bigger icons.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The only shit I loot since level 18 is green Malanga Skin stuff. After hours and hours playing at level 21 I've got 18 Vanguard Marks. I need 65 for a single legendary item.

Seriously, it has become a big yawn. I now only play it if there are friends online to play it with.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

Story missions completely stop giving rewards after you hit 20. You'll get rewards from strike playlists.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Story missions completely stop giving rewards after you hit 20. You'll get rewards from strike playlists.

Yup. A poor choice IMO, especially when I'm repeating story missions on heroic 24+.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, i had stopped to for the same reason. I guess i just beat the game though, since i got a bounty to do the mission that appears to be the end lol.

Even on harder levels you don't get anything for them, and enemies drop crap greens and low level blues.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealnelsk: it's definitely a poor choice. The game is fun and challenging on those heroic harder difficulties, but there is no reason at all to play them aside from increased xp, which is negligible anyways.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Getting loot from PvE when you hit 20 becomes a lot less efficient than getting it from PvP. But the challenging Strike playlists are fun if you like the PvE stuff. You get pretty good at running through them too once you learn the spawns and particular encounter tactics.

But I think it'll always be less efficient than just playing the PvP.

And yeah, not getting rewards for replaying story missions on higher difficulties (or even the regular difficulty with lower level rewards) is fucking bonkers. I've mostly been playing Strikes, so I dunno if it's even possible to get rewards for that.

I'm pretty darn sure the first time you play a Daily Story Mission you get rewards though. You can access that on the left side of the screen when you're in the map (one of those 3 icons).

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I missed out on a ship upgrade for one of the Venus missions, so I know how it feels.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zeik

I assume it's because the gear rewards do not scale for story missions and thus would be worthless to you at level 20 anyway.

Story missions aren't really designed to give you worthwhile loot. Whatever freebie's they give you is just meant to help you get to 20. The only reason to redo story missions at that point is for bounties or daily heroic story missions. The daily heorics are actually worth pumping the difficulty up as high as you can handle, as you get increasing ammounts of ascendant materials for upgrading end game gear, which are more valuable than any of the crappy gear drops you would normally get.

@theht: I wouldn't necessarily say PvP is more efficient. Sure, a single PvP match lasts roughly half as long a Strike, but you also aren't guaranteed any loot for completing a match, no matter how good or bad you do. (If you're real unlucky you can go several matches and not get jack.) PvE enemies also regularly drop engrams, unlike PvP players. There's also a cap on weekly crucible marks, so ideally you should do both if you want to gear up with legendaries the quickest.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I get enough dropped loot, especially engrams, that getting loot at the end of the mission seems a bit moot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.