Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Should I get into Destiny?

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Busto1299

Over the past year I have avoided Destiny because the negative aspects of it were too much for me to make a purchase. However, the positive light that the Taken King has received makes me consider getting in. Now I ask you: yay or nay?

Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about that myself as well

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you have to buy the other expansions or taken king is useless

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Anund

Over the past year I have avoided Destiny because the negative aspects of it were too much for me to make a purchase. However, the positive light that the Taken King has received makes me consider getting in. Now I ask you: yay or nay?

As someone who has played an unhealthy amount of Destiny I can't do anything other than recommending it. You will definitely get your money's worth in playtime.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

For most people the main parts of the game before the raids and stuff is pretty cool...but if you don't want to deal with 7+hours of bull malarkey with people possibly yelling and screaming at each other....then I would pass.

gaggle64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Destiny is something I'd love to try but I live in fear of the next expansion rewriting & gutting everything else. And the next expansion. And the next expansion. And the next expansion...

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yeah I think it's great tbh

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mub said:

I just got back in after leaving the game pretty soon after it came out. I got the digital version of the legendary edition. Basically its the Game of the Year type bundle with everything included for $60.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@anund said:
    @busto1299 said:

As someone who has played an unhealthy amount of Destiny I can't do anything other than recommending it. You will definitely get your money's worth in playtime.

You will unquestionably get your moneys worth in terms of playtime as the game requires a large time commitment to achieve anything, whether you will get your moneys worth in terms of "fun" is debatable. Not trying to hate, I played for an unhealthy amount and had fun times as well, but it's very small dopamine doses of fun in between large swathes of middling and repetitive gameplay.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I picked up a ps4 and The Taken King last friday and I've loved every minute of it. It took me a few minutes to realise when I had actually finished the story though, up until TTK the story elements are pretty light.

But yeah I'm level 40, 246 light and I only started doing strikes with other people last night. I even like the PVP for the most part. I was pretty big into Halo up until Reach and this feels like a natural progression in terms of how the shooting feels/

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you mostly a solo player? Do you dislike competitive multiplayer? Do you want to experience quality storytelling? Do you not like the idea of "grinding" in video games? Do you hate replaying sections of games? Then you should not buy Destiny.

Do you like playing games with friends? Do you have friends who play Destiny? Do you like competitive multiplayer? Do cool environments interest you more than a good story? Do you enjoy replaying sections of games? Then Destiny might be for you.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#12  Edited By Humanity

Are you mostly a solo player? Do you dislike competitive multiplayer? Do you want to experience quality storytelling? Do you not like the idea of "grinding" in video games? Do you hate replaying sections of games? Then you should not buy Destiny.

Do you like playing games with friends? Do you have friends who play Destiny? Do you like competitive multiplayer? Do cool environments interest you more than a good story? Do you enjoy replaying sections of games? Then Destiny might be for you.

This is actually a pretty good breakdown of key points.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

If you buy the $60 game you get Destiny, The Dark Below (exp), House of Wolves (exp), and The Taken King (exp). There's a ton of content there even if you play by yourself. You don't need friends to enjoy the game but it helps a bunch. I wouldn't have recommended Destiny last year (my biggest disappointment of 2014) but as a game in 2015 it is pretty decent.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Naw man. Get on a real treadmill instead.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@busto1299: For someone who has never played Destiny now is kind of the perfect time to get into it. $60 gets you all of the released content so far and it's far more content than the vast majority of games. Even if you don't plan on playing with a group of people, or experiencing the 3 Raids, which are arguable some of the best content of any game on PS4/XOne right now, it's still well worth your money. Personally, I feel the shooting mechanics are far superior to any other current shooter out there. I cringed playing the COD beta recently, and I've played every COD since 3. You can play anywhere from 50-100 hours just to knock out the single player stuff solo, or like many of us, put in hundreds to a thousand hours doing Raids, PvP, and loot collecting. Like SpaceInsomniac mentioned above, Destiny is a completely different game, a much better game, when you find a solid group of friends to play with, so if you do decide to jump in I highly suggest finding a group of people to play with. If you don't have friends that play there are plenty of good GBers right here on the forums that play Destiny regularly.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Destiny back when it first came out, played through it in a week, then returned it for 50 bucks which I put towards Shadow of Mordor. Now that the Taken King has come out, I bought the Legendary edition with a friend and we've been playing through it for a week. All told, I'm 70 dollars invested, and I definitely feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of Destiny now. Playing with someone else definitely makes the early parts of the game (i.e. the "main story", if you can even call it that) far more bearable, and, dare I say, fun in some places. Nolan North's performance is definitely a step up from Peter Dinklage's perpetually bored-sounding performance. So far, the loot treadmill feels a lot better than it used to. When I first started playing Destiny last year, I felt like I was never getting anything; now, I leave missions with at least 4 or 5 engrams. My friend and I have gotten a few missions into the Taken King, and that content is definitely a lot more interesting than anything in the base game. Haven't gotten a chance to raid yet, as it's still tough to get a large enough group of people to be free for such a long commitment, but I look forward to trying that.

In my opinion, if you want to try and get into Destiny, now is a pretty good time. 60 dollars is a good value for the amount of content you're getting now, so definitely get the Legendary Edition if you decide to buy it. Also, it really helps to have a friend to go through the early content with. It's definitely a good "hang out and chat while doing missions" kind of game.

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mub said:

I just got back in after leaving the game pretty soon after it came out. I got the digital version of the legendary edition. Basically its the Game of the Year type bundle with everything included for $60.

oh cool, didnt know that.

TTK is fun but you probably need a good group of people to play with.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.