Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

So this Iron Banner, Then...

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Crembaw

Anyone have any opinions on this event?

From the looks of it, it's simply an allotment of particularly challenging bounties that will get you even more faction rep, that will get you a chance at another item. I have yet to see a single Iron Banner-specific item drop for anyone in the rounds I've played. It feels like just another multiplayer faction, only with worse vendor options and an XP incentive along with your rep. In other words, it feels like just another thing to grind out.

Oh, and supposedly level advantages are enabled, which...I'd be hard-pressed to find a single time where that feels like it's had any effect at all on match outcome. I'm seeing 7s, 12s and other sub-20s putz around in this and score just as well as any of the high-level bangers rolling around in their Big Dick G gear.

Have the level advantages seemed as meaningless to anyone else? Anyone manage to grab some unique drops from the playlist?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By falserelic

I manage to get my first Legendary Item, but the bad thing is that it was an Item for the hunter class(I'm a titan). Anyway, next week I'm getting rid of this game. The game was fun for what it is, but I don't see myself playing in the long run.

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah man, this game is too grindy for my probably gonna trade it in this coming week. It's just too much.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By conmulligan

It's worth getting your rep to level 1 because the first emblem and shader both look kind of cool and it only takes one bounty and a couple of matches to get there, but beyond that I'm not sure if I'll bother grinding out another tier. The level advantages don't seem to affect the balance too much, which I guess is a good thing. I hope they start cycling game types, because Control is already getting old.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By overnow

So far it just seems like the normal crucible pvp, but on occasion I get the jump on someone big time yet they still get the kill cause my auto rifle is only rare.

Oh and just like always I get the feeling that I;m getting fucked by the random number generator cause I almost never get drops from pvp.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I couldn't detect much of difference with the level advantages enabled, but I sure had a ton of fun with a full group of GB duders after our raid run tonight. We didn't even come close to losing and I personally had about a 5.0 kill death tonight.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#7  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

I thought it would be a lot more noticeable when someone had better gear but it just felt like normal PvP. The supreme victory of Lincoln Force.ru was also a nice bonus. It doesn't happen often but having a full team is really fun.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@riostarwind said:

I thought it would be a lot more noticeable when someone had better gear but it just felt like normal PvP. The supreme victory of Lincoln Force.ru was also a nice bonus. It doesn't happen often but having a full team is really fun.

Hell yeah, comrade!

ChuckDeNomolos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ChuckDeNomolos

It's just a very broken version of Control with rewards that don't really benefit the people who are dominating the mode. Since I'm still waiting on my Lincoln force PSN clan approval, I'm out there alone and getting my face blasted in. The bounties seem a little extreme, and making the reputation gains based only on those and PvP wins, it's an extraordinarily uninviting mode that starts making what were minor annoyances I could overlook in the standard PvP into noticable flaws.

Edit: Level 24 Hunter here just for clarity's sake.

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a lvl 28 Hunter. I don't notice any significant difference. Lower level players still can still light me up easily, otherwise I think I've been able to one shot lower level players with a body shot from my fully upgraded Ice Breaker sniper rifle. Other than that I haven't noticed anything different in the pvp. (For reference I have 21 hours spent in pvp and over 1600 kills to my name according to the destiny mobile app).

My only real complaint is a loss doesn't grant you any of the new faction rep, so it's just encouraging a horrible environment where many people are just leaving the game at the first sign of a loss and it really sucks to go down 1-3 players within the first two minutes because your team is at a 600 point deficit (which is like, 2-3 kills). It's incredibly frustrating.

Overall the event feels a lot like the Queens Wrath where Bungie is trying their best to make it sound like it's something awesome and new, but it's exactly the same stuff you've already been doing and just adds another rep grind.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I didn't feel much of a difference, either. I like the harder bounties, though. They feel like something that's worth working for rather than just some rudimentary missions that are generally achievable through normal playing. The gear is cool, but I think the best stuff is locked behind RNG rather than being available through rank purchasing. I believe an exotic hand-cannon and ship (not sure on rarity) are to be found through random playing. The first shader (only 100 rep away, easy peasy) is worth participating alone. It's kind of like shatterwhite from VoG, so it makes me feel like my VoG completion isn't as unique as it was. That's MMO's, though.

All in all, I think its a bit silly at this point to expect anything revolutionary when Bungie release a new "event." At this point, if you're still invested, you already know the cards up their sleave, and (for some reason, like me) enjoy them. It's kind of like a community event with a little more embellishment wrapped around it. I know I'm happier with this stuff rather than being "tempted" to play again by double xp weekends.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like more rep grinding, more bounties, in an environment that is even more unbalanced than normal PvP. I logged in to see what it was, and then immediately logged off. As soon as Shadow of Mordor came out I just completely lost any interest in Destiny. Even after finishing mordor, I have no interest in playing it again. The expansions would have to be really, really good to get me back in at this point, and from what I've seen of Bungie so far, I doubt that will be the case.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think I'm actually done now until the first expansion in December. Playing this "new" mode tonight and I just kinda had that moment where I was like, why. This isn't fun anymore.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@sterling said:

I think I'm actually done now until the first expansion in December. Playing this "new" mode tonight and I just kinda had that moment where I was like, why. This isn't fun anymore.

Just had that exact same feeling. I don't have five friends playing so eff the raid, and the pvp has become all shotguns and auto rifles. I was just playing a normal pvp match, but at this point it just isn't fun anymore.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was top three on the winning team four times in a row and got nothing, so it's pretty much the same.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By overnow

One of my biggest problems currently is that I feel like some of the bounties are a better fir for clash than control, where they actually seem detrimental to winning. For example the one to get 15 bulleye medals and the one to get a 10 killstreak both rely on you staying alive as long as possible, however capturing points is one of the most dangerous/vulnerable positions to put yourself in in this game. I feel like more than in normal control I have teammates who aren't even making the slightest effort to capture a point.

It also really bothers me that you get none of the iron banner rep for losing, which has been a major piss off for me because I'm consistantly coming in first or second on the losing team and top 5 overall.

When you really think about it the whole mode is kind of stupid. It's a mode designed to have better drops, but the people who already have better gear are more likely to get those drops. On top of that from what I can tell the base game has pretty poor matchmaking, does anyone know for sure if it is even skill based, cause it really doesn't feel like it. I would go as far as saying that I have only been in one overall competitive game in this playlist. Every other game has been a blowout one way or the other.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sterling said:

Have been really trying to resist that feeling. Really trying hard.

But, yeah. I'm done with this game. Unless something really spectacular tumbles down with this DLC. I just can't force myself through the same content with only the barest of justifications time and time again.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jesus_Phish

This was in the beta too and I tried it then. I've no interest in trying it now. Their events just aren't interesting in the slightest. Outside of doing the weekly heroic and the raid on a weekly basis, I'm kind of done with this game outside of using it as a VoiP application. I'll see what the expansions look like when they hit but I don't expect much of a revelation.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Well I probably won't be touching this. Probably maybe. The PvP is fun, but it's not where I enjoy spending my time with this game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I thought it was suppose to be winner gets all - but they still do that infuriating thing where the last guy on your team gets a legendary drop and you being in second place are the only person in the entire team to not get anything.

Then one match I was in last place and somehow I got 4 rewards? Maybe it just doesn't pay to be good.

If they cycle the modes then I'll keep playing it because the PvP content has been the most fun for me. My favorite mode thus far has been salvage so it's a shame that it's not available all the time. I really like the 3 on 3 aspect with being able to revive teammates - it actually helps keep your teams together. Thanks to salvage I got that achievement for killing a Titan, Warlock and Hunter all in a single life in the Crucible with the help of the golden gun.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Where is their vendor at anyway? The place where the Queen's representative was just has a bunch of birds hanging out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: He's just to the right of that place. It's a guy standing in front of a GIANT BURNING COIN. Can't miss it.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#24 sweep  Moderator

The vendor gear is some legendary gloves and a legendary machinegun, which both require you to be level 3 and don't seem better than any of the standard vanguard gear. If you're going to get to rank 3 with anyone you might as well just stick to grinding out patrol missions and heroics :/

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: The chest piece I saw actually had lower stats than the purple chest I got from the Queens mission. I suppose it's only common sense the queens chest would be better than the guys.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@sweep said:

The vendor gear is some legendary gloves and a legendary machinegun, which both require you to be level 3 and don't seem better than any of the standard vanguard gear. If you're going to get to rank 3 with anyone you might as well just stick to grinding out patrol missions and heroics :/

Well, theoretically you could get to rank 3 in the iron banner faster than vanguard or standard crucible because not only does it take less overall rep to level it up, you get bonuses for using the emblem, shader, and class item. Also, that stuff is insanely cheap (10 marks each) compared to the standard vanguard and crucible stuff (Between 65 and 125 marks for armor and 150 marks for guns).

At 10 marks that stuff is more than worth buying several copies even you don't need to use them for the ascendant materials you'd get for breaking them down.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@sweep: The chest piece I saw actually had lower stats than the purple chest I got from the Queens mission. I suppose it's only common sense the queens chest would be better than the guys.

Not in Discipline though, that's for sure.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

After watching my brother do pretty well with his level 19 guardian and level 10(!) vanguard rifle I believe that this event is bullshit. Not too much different than regular crucible.

I remember during the beta I got a legendary Iron Banner hand cannon, so I wonder if that stayed in the main game.

spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Well, I'm not really in the mood for the Crucible or grinding the Strike playlist, so the Iron Banner stuff made me roll a new character (wanted to try out Titan after leveling my Hunter to 20).

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

I've next to no interesting in pvp so a full pvp event is not going to encourage me to play Destiny more, might actually play it less. With the Queens stuff at least you got rewarded for running Strikes and PVE, the focus on the Crucible is understandable, afterall its Bungie and they love their multiplayer, but its leaving folks like me feeling a little left out.

The prospect of no new content until December and events like this are making me wonder if i made a mistake choosing this over the Lord of the Rings, really wish i had just bought the regular edition, never regretted a limited edition purchase so much in my entire life..

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went and looked at the gear vender was selling and there wasn't much and nothing that made me want to grind towards it. I have all legendary gear, and my problem now is grinding to get enough material to upgrade it all the way. I also wonder what will happen next? The queen comes back right? do we have to restart or will queen and iron banner rep continue each time they come back?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bofooq: Your rep will remain as it was when they come back, unless bungie are fucking maniacs.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Yeah, salvage is a lot of fun. It's only been available one day that I've played though.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm really bummed it's just a crucible mode. I was hoping it would be more story missions or something. As much as I like the PvP I don't feel compelled at all to take part in this event especially when the only way to raise your rep with the Iron Banner guy is to either win or complete those bounties. The gear you can buy isn't compelling enough to make me want to grind out rep beyond level one and I don't know if new loot drops from this mode and if it does it probably isn't good.

I'm a level 27 Warlock and I've stuck with this game for a while, and I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to stick with it after seeing that this update is just another PvP mode that doesn't feel any different from the regular PvP modes.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@conmulligan: That's what I did with the Queen's event. I just got the first shader and emblem because I knew I wasn't going to make the next tier in time. The shader is real nice too. It matches with my FWC cape.

And the gold shaders look sick, so I figure I'll tolerate some MP just to get that.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Legion_

I didn't even know the level differences were enabled. Don't want to sound like a dick, but I fucking dominated last night, and I was just playing with my level 23 Titan. No special gear, other than e legendary helmet.

Oh, on a side note. I started out with a warlock, got him to level 22, then I started a hunter and got him to 25, then I decided to start a titan, and he's at 23 now. And today I deleted my Warlock and started a new one. This is going to be my main dude. Yeah I'm insane.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadegl: Yeah, I only got about half way towards Queen's Rank 2 before I gave up. The shader was the only thing I really wanted anyway.

You only need 100 rep to get the first Iron Banner rank, so if you pick the easiest bounty, which is probably the one where you need to get 10,000 XP in the Iron Banner playlist, you should be there in no time. The second rank is like 1,200 rep which is a much taller order, especially when you can only get it through multiplayer.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they'd do more interesting stuff with these limited time events though. Turning on Level differences is something, but a bit small. I was thinking a whole new limited time mode. I get that they don't want to spend a bunch of time creating a whole new mode for two weeks, but they could keep it simple.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

I didn't even know the level differences were enabled. Don't want to sound like a dick, but I fucking dominated last night, and I was just playing with my level 23 Titan. No special gear, other than e legendary helmet.

Oh, on a side note. I started out with a warlock, got him to level 22, then I started a hunter and got him to 25, then I decided to start a titan, and he's at 23 now. And today I deleted my Warlock and started a new one. This is going to be my main dude. Yeah I'm insane.

.... why start a character over if you can switch all abilities around freely? sorry but that makes absolutely no sense at all.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum: Because he looked like a fool. Yup.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I didn't really notice a difference in the Iron Banner mode until the last couple of games I played. I sticky bombed a Lvl 28 Titan and only managed to take him to half health. I also noticed that I could kill guys below Lvl 10 with full health from one Blink Strike. Finally I noticed a huge improvement when I swapped out my rare auto assault rifle for a legendary one.

I'm not going to say Destiny doesn't deserve its mediocre reviews but I am enjoying my time with it.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very soon, Bungie is going to have a "I can't get any gear!" problem to "There is nothing to do with all this gear!" problem. It is great that they are giving players several options to gear up for Nightfall Strikes and the raid, but that content will start to feel stagnant, and leveling alts will not appeal to a lot of people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.