Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

The Ram's inspiration

SpaceCowboyPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SpaceCowboyPC

After (finally) receiving the Ram, it started to make me curious about it. At first, I tought it was a baphomet-esque reference...but as i dug into the Internet i found people claiming that it was a reference to Doctor Who's episode "the god complex" (where a goat-like creature forced others to praise him). Later on, I found out that "PRAISE ME" (all uppercase, like the Ram's description) is a medical acronym for the Histrionic Personality Disorder's symptoms...

So, does anyone know WHAT exactly was Bungie's inspiration for the Ram?

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@spacecowboypc: They have never said. So everything that is out there about it is fan fiction idea's. One cool one I read on reddit was about how it related to the Ahamkara somehow like most Warlock Exotics and tied to Ego in Hindu. The Ram's Praise Me was then related to a Hindu God of Wisdom whose avatar was a Ram. It was a complete work of fan fic but sounded pretty interesting. But there is no definitive answer to this question.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I've read at least 50 theories when that thing came out without exaggerating. Most from mythologies. The Egyptian God Ra made some sense when The Ram was only found in datamining and had no definitive perks, as there was something about him being resurrected every day through the sun. Which made a lot of speculation go around for it being a self res boosting Exotic, but then it became a Void Exotic so that theory was squandered.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@zevvion said:

I've read at least 50 theories when that thing came out without exaggerating. Most from mythologies. The Egyptian God Ra made some sense when The Ram was only found in datamining and had no definitive perks, as there was something about him being resurrected every day through the sun. Which made a lot of speculation go around for it being a self res boosting Exotic, but then it became a Void Exotic so that theory was squandered.

Or...or... someone at Bungie's development team is way too into black metal and thought it was cool.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@mordukai: What does it have to do with black metal? They did say they really liked the Warlock having these shaman-like form factors for their Exotic armors that look terrifying. Which is also why they made The Stag after it.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Someone at Bungie likes Paul McCartney?

Loading Video...

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@spaceinsomniac: Well yeah...

Loading Video...

I always assumed he was what was inside the traveller. Hopefully we'll get another hit for Destiny 2.

SpaceCowboyPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, judging by what you all said and some further research I did, it was at least partially inspired by shamans and old religions (like the ram god amon). Still, what confuses me is the "praise me" description. How does it tie to the helmet?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.