Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Which gameplay type in the Alpha do you like best? (Improved Poll)

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll Which gameplay type in the Alpha do you like best? (Improved Poll) (152 votes)

Story. (Campaign PvE) 8%
    Exploration. (Freeform PvE) 26%
    Strike. (Matched Group PvE) 22%
    Crucible. (Matched PvP) 3%
    Town. (Social) 1%
    I disliked what I've played of Destiny. (Grumpy) 4%
    Didn't play Destiny yet. Results. 36%
     • 
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1  Edited By Seppli

I enjoy all of the PvE activities, but the Strike stuff is clearly the main attraction for me, at least of what's on offer. It's rewarding to be competent at taking on the challenges of a strike, just like with good instanced MMORPG dungeons.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GTCknight

Strike on legendary is the best way to play as far as I'm concerned.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

the bit with the gun and you shoot the things

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of the modes available I have the most fun in exploration. The story is too brief to spend much time with it, I've never been big on PvP, and while the strike is decently fun, it takes way too long to do it repeatedly. That spider tank takes forever to go down.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strike on legendary is the best way to play as far as I'm concerned.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever mode my friends are playing.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strike is awesome! That Devil's Lair mission was grueling for me since I was underleveled. Took like an hour.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie: how can you like that!? I mean it such a small part of the game you can't really get a feeling for it.

Fire strike for me.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I guess the story? That and the strike were the good parts. Just wandering around doing those random missions in the explore mode didn't seem great.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Surprised to hear/see just how many people really like the strike. To me, that type of content is always the main draw of any of these game and I thought the one in the alpha was kind of bad.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GTCknight

Surprised to hear/see just how many people really like the strike. To me, that type of content is always the main draw of any of these game and I thought the one in the alpha was kind of bad.

Did you play it on brave or legendary?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I've spent most of my time with PvP simply because I quickly chewed through all the PvE content. I'm really loving what they've done with the PvP because tt's got pretty much everything I love above Halo MP. I'm really impressed how they managed to keep things balanced even with everyone bringing their loot into competitive, and I think the way they keep map control as a core aspect of the game by making the ammo drops serve as the power weapon spawns is brilliant.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@shinboy630 said:

Did you play it on brave or legendary?

Brave. I don't think the difficulty setting was really the issue, more the encounter design.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Jensonb

I've been sinking a lot of time into the Explore Activity because it's theoretically infinite and you get lots of changes of pace and a lot of environments to play in. It's cool to bump in to other Guardians too, makes this game feel a lot less empty than, say, Borderlands did solo.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

None of it...yet? The story mission had absolutely no context, exploration is a bit too aimless for my tastes, and the strike bosses are a bit too unforgiving and bullet sponge-y.

The alpha is too limited to answer the questions I have about Destiny. My hope is that the beta has enough of the early experience to give a good idea of how the rest of the game will unfold.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By asmo917

I'm really into the PvE areas, and prefer them in order of Explore, Story, Strike so far. There's only one story mission, so it's hard to see how they chain together or combine to create world, but I like it so far. With Explore, I dig the pace as someone else said. You can wander and see what you get into, run into public events, or ho from beacon to beacon and seemingly get a good mix of activities. I detailed my thoughts on Strike in another thread, but really thought it was a little unbalanced and with too many bullet sponge type enemies. I don't know if that's by design or just a byproduct of the matchmaking. I did find completing it really satisfying though. Can't wait to see how expanded the beta is and eventually get my hands on the whole thing.

And Peter Dinklage is fine. As is Lance Reddick, aka Daniels from The Wire. I think people are just pissed Dinklage isn't doing "Tyrion Lannister is your companion in this game."

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Is it me or is the Strike a little much. I mean it takes for fucking ever to kill those two bosses. Like 20-30 minutes each. Same with that 3 level wave thing. I've to have a good enough team were we can 1 run any of them. Always have to start over at least once. But usually three times or more. Dudes end up quitting because of it, and you fight with two guys for a while and it doesn't decrees the waves. Its brutal. And honestly not that much fun. I hope the main game does not have a lot of that garbage.

Also did anyone else run into the guys called grunts somethings. They were bright orange and their level was ?? and anything I did to them at level 8 with a gun at 75 damage did 1 point of damage. And they 1 shot killed me. I found them in a basement on the way to the first thing you do. In the story thing. They are also there in the other two modes too though. Even with a group of four we explore mode we could not take these three monsters down. I'm assuming they are level 20. Even heavy weapons and powers were doing 1 point of damage to them.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@sterling said:

Is it me or is the Strike a little much. I mean it takes for fucking ever to kill those two bosses. Like 20-30 minutes each. Same with that 3 level wave thing. I've to have a good enough team were we can 1 run any of them. Always have to start over at least once. But usually three times or more. Dudes end up quitting because of it, and you fight with two guys for a while and it doesn't decrees the waves. Its brutal. And honestly not that much fun. I hope the main game does not have a lot of that garbage.

Also did anyone else run into the guys called grunts somethings. They were bright orange and their level was ?? and anything I did to them at level 8 with a gun at 75 damage did 1 point of damage. And they 1 shot killed me. I found them in a basement on the way to the first thing you do. In the story thing. They are also there in the other two modes too though. Even with a group of four we explore mode we could not take these three monsters down. I'm assuming they are level 20. Even heavy weapons and powers were doing 1 point of damage to them.

It seems like they're going for a quasi raid boss feel on them. I found the weakspots and started doing actual numbers of damage after a while. Still, it felt more like work than fun after depleting mine and my friends ammo supplies.

Deep-_-Thought

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@sterling said:

Yeah that underground cave is brutal, I couldn't do any damage to any one down there. It sucks because it's a nice shortcut to get across the map, so you just have to book it and try to get through without dying. I also ran into a level 16 hallowed knight that three other people and I couldn't put a dent in and ended up just giving up after awhile. I've got a high damage launcher now though so I might give it another try before the alpha's up.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zirilius

The Strike Team was great but if you do at level it takes a very long time. I think it could use some tuning and it might have already been changed cause I felt the bosses took to long to take down even with 3 people shooting at them. I

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exploration for the simple fact that by going against the game telling me where to go I "backtracked" my way to the start of that older E3 gameplay trailer outside the wall. Which was funny since this location in the Alpha is all winter like while the trailer was summer time. Not to mention grouping up at random with people with the events that pop up. Or just sit on a ledge far away sniping fools like a real hunter.

Strike was fun, have done 2 runs so far with different classes and random people and while the encounters can get frustrating if the group is uncoordinated, nothing in the game has been as joyfilled as beating that last boss against all odds. And everyone in the group jumps to the same spot and starts dancing.

Story has been pretty lackluster. I am not sure if the error in VO is in delivery or weird amount of time between lines in editing. Or the fact that someone wrote a handful of really cringe-worthy garbage dialogue for that orb.

Crucible was alright, but it's not what I'm coming for this game for.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Gargantuan

I love Bungies Halo games and I'm pretty dissapointed. I knew it wasn't going to be like Halo but it really just feels like a worse Borderlands with some MMORPG stuff thrown in. Roaming around in Russia was decent but not very exciting. The first strike was just two huge bullet sponges that took forever to kill which was a big let down and I really didn't like the PVP.

It's a shame because when I first heard of Destiny I was very excited.

Edit: And they removed one of the most enjoyable things from Halo. The weapon variety.

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im a PVE guy so i really loved both the Campaign and the Raid. But exploring i think can be really fun when the whole world is populated. I found the area from the first E3 demo they showed last night. It was completely empty though, but still cool.

Looking forward to the full release and I hope there will be an active GB clan so that i have Duders to raid with!

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed Strike the most but I was playing with 3 of my friends and we had all hit max level and had a good selection of uncommon weapons and armor so we chewed dudes. We breezed through the bit Jeff had trouble with in the QL (to be fair he was way under leveled).

I also liked explore (until the quest types started to repeat themselves after an hour) and the public event I took part in with other instanced players was cool. We ended up forming a team after for a bit and just grind up our levels for a bit. Although the first time a public event happened, it failed to instance anyone else into my game so I basically got owned by the giant tank (hopefully that is something they sort in the final game). I also enjoyed going to the tower to just see how much of an MMO this game is (so much dancing).

PVP I was not so hot on but maps I played on were fun and seemed like something you would really enjoy if you were into Halo MP. I'm not a big competitive gamer so not for me but seemed well made for what it was.

Really looking forward to this game based on the 3 hours of the alpha I played.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.