Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Who else got annoyed by the Awoken?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Mainly when you play as an Awoken guardian? You can only choose between three races but they couldn't customize any story content? Even if it's just a line? So the Awokens are trying to protect their people but they won't even acknowledge the fact that one of their own (technically more than one) is a guardian. Why? I just found it pretty annoying.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

Elves are the worst. Down with Elves in video games!

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Worrying about the story in Destiny seems odd to me.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's pretty fucking dumb and they could have written a loop hole by just saying something like you're a half human or some dumb shit. Or could have made it more about their 'kingdom' and not their race. That part was really weird, especially when my character was kind of befuddled at who the Awoken even were.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Nodima

It was annoying, until I finished* the game two hours later. Then it was sensible.

*I still try to get in at least three hours a day.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

You act like they put an ounce of effort into the "story" as it is...they didn't.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Steadying

Yup, this whole thing was pretty stupid. My Awoken character didn't even seem to know who or what the Awoken were.

I would have played as a Human if it was possible to create one that didn't look dumb as hell.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through all of Destiny, and I'm not 100% sure what the Awoken is/are. Somehow, I feel like I'm not in the minority.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup! Absolutely!

I play as a female Awoken and am among many others , but somehow it seemed like some mystical race no one ever sees. They didn't think of making them some "rogue" elite that separates itself from the rest of civilization out of feeling of superiority or something.

They really had a problem with the story in this game.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yeah, that part is fuckin' weird if you play as an Awoken. The whole story campaign is really poorly constructed, it seems like no effort went in to it at all.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I like how the Awoken look. Space elves.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too was annoyed by this. They could of just made a separate race and not used any of the playable races. All those cutscenes felt weird. Why would't they acknowledge me as one of their own? WHY?

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

From what I remember reading, The Awoken in The Reef don't really care for any Awoken outside of The Reef. I don't remember where I read that, might have been on a website or on those dumb cards, but yeah, I remember that from somewhere.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
    DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I remember reading, The Awoken in The Reef don't really care for any Awoken outside of The Reef. I don't remember where I read that, might have been on a website or on those dumb cards, but yeah, I remember that from somewhere.

It is in those dumb cards, yes.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

That seems like a vitally important detail to leave out of the game proper.

insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

There's so much info that they left out of the game. Like this tweet I saw on, well, twitter:

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@the_nubster said:

There's so much info that they left out of the game. Like this tweet I saw on, well, twitter:

Wait, is that the story behind the raid? Does that mean that the raid is entirely without story content except for that?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think Patrick said in best in one of his tweets when he said something to the affect of "it feels like they gutted most of the story in the end."

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But even then, none of it is ever worded that way (outside the grimoire that is) so there is no context given for it, leaving you confused and your character seemingly stupid.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That absolutely annoyed me. I was talking to my cousin who had already beaten the game when I got to that part, I pointed it out and he tried to justify it. He's like "you're like Leela in Futurama, you're an alien and you don't know what you are." The story wasn't implying that and I'm pretty sure it's not actually true since there's dozens of them running around the city, so I mentioned that the story in this game has been pretty awful. He's the kind of person who'll skip cutscenes and just grind all day... I'm not, I probably won't be going back to Destiny.

insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster said:

Wait, is that the story behind the raid? Does that mean that the raid is entirely without story content except for that?

There is absolutely no story (that I encountered) in the raid. Just a bunch of enemies that hit like trucks and a lot of coordination. And loot.

But even then, none of it is ever worded that way (outside the grimoire that is) so there is no context given for it, leaving you confused and your character seemingly stupid.

I don't disagree. Me nodding to this thread has begun hurting my neck, that's how much I'm in agreement with everyone. I play an Awoken Warlock and kept saying, "Look at me! Acknowledge that I'm one of you damn it!", during the Reef cutscene.

VincentAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In spite of this, my eventual Hunter is going to be an Awoken; I'm more or less resigned to this story being the very barest of bones. I want to be a sparkly blue girl, tho.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

... how come the player character can even be awoken, when it's implied (I didn't read whatever grimoire card you got there) at the start of the game that you're resurrected after hundreds of years, as someone killed in one of those many cars outside the wall in Old Russia?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By spraynardtatum

Destiny is only the prologue. The story and context happen later. I think year three.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reef awoken only like reef awoken because politics.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Worrying about the story in Destiny seems odd to me.

When the want to make a ten year long space epic then story should really matter. I knew these guys didn't give much of a shit but damn did they really drop the fucking ball when they can't even account for the small stuff.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OurSin_360

Well, i dont know but it could be that the guardians who were resurrected dont' remember shit about themselves or anything other than what dinkle bot and the talker tell them. And reef awoken are so high they don't know your an awoken.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the story has bigger issues than that.

That being said, you're just some random awoken that has been dead for a long time. You are not part of their community so they have no reason to accept you as anything other than an outsider.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

It's not exactly what you're asking about, but when I read the thread title, I thought: "I sure was annoyed by the awoken. When those stuck-up assholes were talking down to me, I wanted to novabomb the entire fucking room, and I would have done just that if I were playing a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game."

The story and writing in Destiny made Diablo 3 look like Lord of the Rings. I was never all that impressed by Halo in the plot department, but Bungie sunk to an all new low with Destiny.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no indication that all Awoken come from the Reef or that your Awoken ever lived anywhere other than Earth.

There's no indication of ANYTHING, though, so I guess your point still stands. They really need to pull a hard 180 with their story within the next five months for me to even consider sticking with this game beyond that timespan, but considering the time I've already sunk into it with the threadbare garbage there IS could be an indication that by and large people don't actually care about this stuff.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crembaw said:

There's no indication that all Awoken come from the Reef or that your Awoken ever lived anywhere other than Earth.

There's no indication of ANYTHING, though, so I guess your point still stands. They really need to pull a hard 180 with their story within the next five months for me to even consider sticking with this game beyond that timespan, but considering the time I've already sunk into it with the threadbare garbage there IS could be an indication that by and large people don't actually care about this stuff.

While it's absolutely a shit way to do it, it's on the back of the cards about the Awoken that the ones from the Reef don't acknowledge the ones born outside the Reef as true Awoken. They're literally the Elf race of this universe that frown down on the elfs who were born in human cities and not in the magical forest.

So much of this games actual story is hidden away in those stupid cards, like the Vex and their plan to rewrite all of history is actually pretty cool, but it's never told to you in the game.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So much of this games actual story is hidden away in those stupid cards, like the Vex and their plan to rewrite all of history is actually pretty cool, but it's never told to you in the game.

The Vex are actually some of my least favorite enemies because on top of being no fun to fight and having a generally plain aesthetic, their background is just pure gibberish. Unknowable thises and Unfathomable thats are not compelling to me at all. Sure, their plan to rewrite history COULD be interesting, but it would have to be introduced way earlier in a much more hardcore way to grab me at this point.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crembaw: It's not introduced at all outside of the cards. I don't know what Bungie where thinking with those cards. If they insisted on them, they should have given Dinklage more money and given you the option to have your Ghost read the passages on them to you while you play.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish If any of what I've read is true, they had to resort to the cards at about the same time they had to scrap nearly all of the story. Most of which, interestingly, might all still be on the disc. Provided any of the buzz flying from recent AMAs is true, which I will totally admit might not be the case.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah, that part of the game (that part, haha) makes no sense at all if you play Awoken, which I did.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was funny the Queen's brother put a knife to my Exo's throat. Dude, I'm a war machine, a robot. Good luck trying to slit my throat.

And then later on he says "She's saying you owe us." No shit, I know what she meant. And no I don't. I brought you the Gate Lord's head like you asked, you gave me the location like I asked. We're even, so piss off.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane: Those two are such badly written characters. Either that or they're just meant to be stupid, arrogant bastards. Like you said, you did what they asked, you owe them nothing.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@bane: Yeah I thought that was pretty funny too ;p

Those space elf emos seemed like the only bit of comic relief in the game, even if Bungie didnt intend it that way.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Anund

@jesus_phish said:

@bane: Those two are such badly written characters. Either that or they're just meant to be stupid, arrogant bastards. Like you said, you did what they asked, you owe them nothing.

Well, technically they didn't ask you to bring them the head, they told you you needed the head of a Gate Lord to get into the Black Garden. They really got nothing out of that "transaction". They then remove and give you the part of the head you need to get in, and tell you where exactly the Black Garden is. So the Queen is right: you do owe them. They helped you and you did nothing for them that wasn't in service of yourself.

The story in Destiny is crap, but the two cut-scenes in the Reef were great, unless you played as an Awoken in which case: wtf?

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anund: Is that what happened? That makes more sense, although I don't like the idea that I actually owe them something. My instincts were telling me they were bad news, and that I should have dropped a Nova Bomb right on the throne before I left.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane: I think that's what makes it intriguing. They were the only characters who actually managed to stir up some kind of emotion. Personally I liked them as characters, but I agree, they don't seem to be the kind of people you want to be indebted to.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jesus_phish said:

@crembaw said:

While it's absolutely a shit way to do it, it's on the back of the cards about the Awoken that the ones from the Reef don't acknowledge the ones born outside the Reef as true Awoken. They're literally the Elf race of this universe that frown down on the elfs who were born in human cities and not in the magical forest.

But how do they know that my Awoken lady was born outside of the Reef? I've been dead 100 years, right? And a itty bitty robot just woke me up from being dead, and I know nothing about my past, right? So I could have been born anywhere. My mom could be a Vex for all I know, and that's the weird thing about the story in this game. I felt really weird getting the same dialogue as my husband's robot-dude got. I mean, they could have said some offhand comment about me being "unclean" or something.

One word, Bungie, I did your work for you. Solves one huuuuuuge issue.

Making people go to outside sources for lore is all kinds of annoying to me as a player. I look at something like the Codex in Mass Effect and while I never really spent a lot of time reading it in great detail, it was there in the game for when I needed to figure out something or wanted a refresher on who some side character was. I just hate having to go to a website or an app to get stuff that could be in the game menu. Oh well, it's not a big deal anyway, but it's just weird that they have all this world building stuff and they leave it out of their world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.