Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil May Cry HD Collection

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 22, 2012

HD remasters of the first three Devil May Cry games, released this time for PS3 and Xbox 360.

Opinions?

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Morrow

Hey guys ^^

DMC 4 for the PS3 was my first Devil May Cry, I never had the chance to play the previous titles. So I'm thinking about getting the HD collection, but I feel a little reluctant to get it since the HD remake of the Silent Hill games was a rather bad port job and I became a little sceptical towards HD remakes.

So, to the people who bought it, would you recommend it? What are the pro's/con's in your opinion?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

Its a good port job. The only odd thing is the menus are still in 4:3 in their original state and as is some of the cut-scenes. I've played through DMC1 and DMC 2 (Dante) currently on DMC 2 (Lucia) and its been really fun. Never finished DMC 1 or DMC 2 before this. I'd say throw down for it. Its only 40$ and theres tons of content to go through as well as three separate platinum trophies to go after ( if your into that sorta thing)

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

It might be a little hard to go backwards on the series, you may just want to play three, but give the first one a chance.

I'll just copy paste what I wrote in a previous thread. Overall, If you're unsure how you'll like the older games, wait until it's around $20 or so. Oh, and if you're obsessed with trophies/achievements there are 100 and 99 of them respectively, god speed.

The port is okay, not to the same quality as something like Bluepoint Games puts out though.

All the menus and pre-rendered cutscenes are still 4:3 and in their native PS2 resolutions (with the exception of the cutscenes being widescreen in DMC3), audio from the first two games is kind of low quality and explosions sound somewhat distorted (and there's no brightness and sound options in-game in DMC1 and DMC2, so audio is really loud). The in-game textures seemed to be slightly over sharpened, no AA (this is the heavy hitter, aliasing is highly prevalent), and a couple random frame drops but the game is at a solid 60 FPS for 99% of the time, which is nice. Most of these problems are probably just stemmed from how early the first two games were released last gen.

DMC3 is ultimately fine. I did have a small issue with having to go back to the dashboard to switch up games, not that big of a problem though. Nothing atmosphere wise was omitted from these games like the SH collection and having these games in widescreen is totally awesome. It's surprising how many blue orb spots I remember having not played these games since their release. All in all, it ain't bad, but it's probably not the best it could have been. Admirable effort on Foundation 9 Entertainment's part, but maybe Capcom didn't want to spend as much as Kojima Productions did with MGS: HD collection.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By vitor

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-03-devil-may-cry-hd-collection-review

Eurogamer seemed to like them and the conversion seems more thoughtful than most PS2 up-rez hatchet jobs we've had recently, although not quite on a par with the MGS or Ico collections.

I think that the first game will hold unsurprisingly well along with the third. Lord knows they're both a lot less repetitive than 4. 2 was thoroughly mediocre back then and also inexplicably looked worse than the first game. I'd say going back won't be too much of an issue, especially considering how different each game plays.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Morrow

@Demoskinos:

I see. Well thanks :)

I like trophy hunting, but out of the 78 games I own I only platinum'd 4 :D So I'm not that good at it ^^;

I read somewhere else that the graphics weren't really improved, is that true? I might be a little put-off by 1 and/or 2 then...

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

@Morrow said:

@Demoskinos:

I see. Well thanks :)

I like trophy hunting, but out of the 78 games I own I only platinum'd 4 :D So I'm not that good at it ^^;

I read somewhere else that the graphics weren't really improved, is that true? I might be a little put-off by 1 and/or 2 then...

They sharpened up the textures in the first two games, but they were early PS2 titles (2001 and 2003 I think) so of course they're not going to translate that well. Some AA would have went a long way though.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By musubi

@Morrow: They don't look like a "modern" game but they still look good enough that its plenty playable.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SlasherMan

If you haven't played DMC3, it might be worth getting the collection just for that. They're all good games (even 2 had its moments, despite it being the worst in the series), so I'd say go for it.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Morrow

@WilltheMagicAsian:

I see. I never really cared about graphics until recently. Dunno why it changed, I enjoyed some of the old SNES games a lot, but the more modern games I play, the more I feel put-off by outdated graphics...

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ports are fine, they look nice, the games are still playable, and if you can play and enjoy DMC4 now, there's no reason you wouldn't enjoy the first 3, it's not like there was a huge leap in quality or massive gameplay changes, the games are all relatively similar. DMC is one of the finest PS2 games of all time, and even now I still go back to it and feel cool juggling marionettes with pistols, people rag on 2 but it's still quality in my opinion, and 3 is fantastic, they all tell a good story too, Dante is such a great character to play. I'd totally recommend you check them out.

Legxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Legxend

The HD collection is worth it just for Devil May Cry 3 which is still the best game in the franchises.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By musubi

@James_Giant_Peach: I don't know... I'm having decent fun with DMC 2 but it feels completely alien when compared to the other games in the series and Arius is the WORST. Still, as long as I'm killing dudes its fun.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlasherMan

@Demoskinos said:

@James_Giant_Peach: I don't know... I'm having decent fun with DMC 2 but it feels completely alien when compared to the other games in the series and Arius is the WORST. Still, as long as I'm killing dudes its fun.

I don't recall much, but I remember DMC2 having the most badass demon form in all the series. That's probably the one thing that sticks out the most in my mind about that game. The rest of it was fairly forgettable.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By musubi

@SlasherMan: I'll agree to that. Lucia also has a cool devil trigger form. Its a decently fun game it just doesn't really feel like a DMC game. I mean... only game in the series to actually have a dodge button rather than pudding the dodge on the jump button like the other games. Also way more urban settings and distinct lack of the gothic motif in the other 3 games. And you fight... a demon skyscraper. Like, Wut?

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SlasherMan

@Demoskinos said:

@SlasherMan: I'll agree to that. Lucia also has a cool devil trigger form. Its a decently fun game it just doesn't really feel like a DMC game. I mean... only game in the series to actually have a dodge button rather than pudding the dodge on the jump button like the other games. Also way more urban settings and distinct lack of the gothic motif in the other 3 games. And you fight... a demon skyscraper. Like, Wut?

No! Stop! It's all starting to come back to me!

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By habster3

Never played the originals either. So far, I'm really enjoying the series; I think you should try it out if you're willing to play a game with some dated mechanics.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By Sooperspy

I'd only played the fourth, too. And after playing about an hour of the 1st and a little of 3, I'm not really having fun. Especially after playing Bayonetta, going back to the old DMC's is tough because of the dated mechanics. At least they look pretty nice.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Morrow

@Redbullet685:

Can you explain what you mean with dated mechanics? You mean it's too slow?

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sooperspy

@Morrow: For one, the combat feels slow. There isn't a light/heavy attack combo system, all of the swordplay is mapped to a single button and shooting doesn't feel powerful at all. The games are all around ten years old and certainly feel like it compared to other hack-and-slash games like Bayonetta, God of War, and even Devil May Cry 4. Maybe if you had played these games when they were released you'd have nostalgia for them and could enjoy them from that perspective, but coming in new, the games just feel dated.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Morrow

@Redbullet685:

I see. I kinda regret never buying a PS2 but I've been a Nintendo kid for so long...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Redbullet685: Not that I hate the port or anything (I actually think that it's pretty good and recommend it to any first time players), but there's also that terribly annoying camera with its' fancy fixed camera angles, and a pretty irritating skull system where you need yellow skulls to continue at checkpoints or it sets you back very far, which often gets to the point where I don't want to continue playing.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sooperspy

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@Redbullet685: Not that I hate the port or anything (I actually think that it's pretty good and recommend it to any first time players), but there's also that terribly annoying camera with its' fancy fixed camera angles, and a pretty irritating skull system where you need yellow skulls to continue at checkpoints or it sets you back very far, which often gets to the point where I don't want to continue playing.

More valid reasons why I'm not having fun. That fucking camera is horrible. And since it seems that with every other fight basically being a mini boss (At least for the first game), the skull thing is fucking dumb. I'm glad I just rented the game and didn't buy it.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StrikeALight

Remnants of old gameplay design, I'm afraid. After all, DMC is 11 years old.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By musubi

@Redbullet685 said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

More valid reasons why I'm not having fun. That fucking camera is horrible. And since it seems that with every other fight basically being a mini boss (At least for the first game), the skull thing is fucking dumb. I'm glad I just rented the game and didn't buy it.

Then quit dying! Problem solved! =p

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Hizang

I bought it today and played just under an hour of the first one, I knew that it was originally supposed to be a Resident Evil game and everything but god damn does it scream Resident Evil!

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I love all three games in this collection, but I doubt I'll be buying it anytime soon. I have better things to spend money on than HD ports of PS2 games I own.

However, I really want to see how people react to DMC2 now. After thinking the game is super self-serious compared to 3 (dunno where that idea came from), I want to see people finally understand how BANANAS that game gets. For christ's sake you fight

A goddamn building that shoots a Hyper Beam. You fight what seems to be Lucifer, and you fucking kill him in the most badass way possible. Almost every boss fight is just as, if not more, awesome than either 1 or 3.

Yeah, I'll admit guns are pretty stupid in the game but as someone who plays Gunslinger in 3 every time, I loved it. Especially DT with guns.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.