DMC5 to have "western touch"...

Posted by JTB123 (1044 posts) -

http://www.connectedconsoles.com/blog-inafune-devil-may-cry-5-to-have-western-touch-to-boost-sales.cfm

Capcom's Keiji Inafune has revealed Devil May Cry 5 will have a "western touch" to make it more desirable to European and North American gamers.

The last outing for the series came in 2007, but has since gone quiet. Now rumoured to be in development at Heavenly Sword and Enslaved creators Ninja Theory, publisher Capcom wants western sales for the series to grow.

"Devil May Cry 5 is a game that, when started development, this will change a lot in relation to the above." said Inafune when speaking to Spanish site 3DJuegos. "The reason is that, despite the franchise has some very loyal followers, their sales are not particularly high, especially overseas."

"For this reason, it is likely that in the fifth chapter will incorporate certain "Western touch" to make it more attractive to American and European players."

Reports earlier this year suggested the game isn't in Capcom's two-year release schedule, though it is speculated that it will be announced at the Tokyo Games Show later this month.

Above is from the link...

Now I'm worried DMC5 will be DMC2 all over again...

#1 Posted by JTB123 (1044 posts) -

http://www.connectedconsoles.com/blog-inafune-devil-may-cry-5-to-have-western-touch-to-boost-sales.cfm

Capcom's Keiji Inafune has revealed Devil May Cry 5 will have a "western touch" to make it more desirable to European and North American gamers.

The last outing for the series came in 2007, but has since gone quiet. Now rumoured to be in development at Heavenly Sword and Enslaved creators Ninja Theory, publisher Capcom wants western sales for the series to grow.

"Devil May Cry 5 is a game that, when started development, this will change a lot in relation to the above." said Inafune when speaking to Spanish site 3DJuegos. "The reason is that, despite the franchise has some very loyal followers, their sales are not particularly high, especially overseas."

"For this reason, it is likely that in the fifth chapter will incorporate certain "Western touch" to make it more attractive to American and European players."

Reports earlier this year suggested the game isn't in Capcom's two-year release schedule, though it is speculated that it will be announced at the Tokyo Games Show later this month.

Above is from the link...

Now I'm worried DMC5 will be DMC2 all over again...

#2 Posted by CaptainObvious (3000 posts) -

So...Outlaw Dante?

#3 Edited by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Capcom's games have been going down the shitter lately, so I don't have high hopes for this one.

#4 Posted by Toms115 (2317 posts) -

"western touch" is pretty ambiguous. maybe you get to make your own dante and name him or something idk.

#5 Posted by Hero_Swe (1197 posts) -
@JTB123 said:
"Now I'm worried DMC5 will be DMC3 all over again... "

What was wrong with DMC3?
#6 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

That makes me think of hiding behind cover like a little bitch. I know the little bitches love doing that. Hope that's not it.

#7 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

As long as the game is better then Devil May Cry 4 I don't care what touches they add to it.
#8 Posted by TheHT (11767 posts) -
@Hero_Swe said:
" @JTB123 said:
"Now I'm worried DMC5 will be DMC3 all over again... "
What was wrong with DMC3? "
Really, DMC3 was probably the best one.
#9 Posted by JTB123 (1044 posts) -
@TheHT: oops, tragic typo. I meant DMC2.
#10 Posted by ryoma122 (699 posts) -
@JTB123: 
i liked dmc 3
#11 Posted by Hero_Swe (1197 posts) -
@JTB123 said:
" @TheHT: oops, tragic typo. I meant DMC2. "

I don't think flipping a coin is all that westernly...
#12 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@JTB123 said:
"Now I'm hoping DMC5 will be DMC3 all over again... "

I agree
#13 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

Genuinely excited. Iliked DMC4, but it definitely felt... dated? A western spin may give the series a much needed boot up the arse.

#14 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6385 posts) -

Fix the platforming elements, drop some of the dumber backtracking for puzzles, and I'll pick it up eventually. 

#15 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I just hope they make it a damn good game :/  I love the series as a whole.

#16 Posted by JTB123 (1044 posts) -
@Hero_Swe: I mean they will screw it up. DMC2 was awful in comparison to what came before it.
#17 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I'm glad this is happening, japanese game design has been stagnant as all hell recently, I'm glad someone's willing to mix it up. 

#18 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

I'm not sure about that.  I hope Capcom Japan makes the game.  Most of the time when Capcom looks for other developers to make their games, the games aren't good.  I just hope Dead Rising 2 is an exception.

#19 Posted by Catarrhal (859 posts) -

Maybe "Western touch" means that Dante will now have dreadlocks; we all know how well that worked out for Bionic Commando.

#20 Posted by Brendan (8120 posts) -

As long as there is less backtracking through empty environments, and less going through that same environment as a different character again, I'll be happy. 
#21 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3113 posts) -

I hate when Japanese developers say that they want to give a game a western touch.  It usually just means they're going to make the story needlessly dark, slow the gameplay down to a crawl, and make it unbearably easy.
Not that those are traits of western game design, it just seems to be where they always go with it.

#22 Posted by markini6 (451 posts) -

Agree with all the comments bemoaning a "western touch". Certain Japanese games (at least used to) have a reputation for being good because of their unique flavour and design intricacies. It's probably somewhat due to the fact that publishers are seeing series like Call of Duty, Halo and GTA sell like hot cakes, then going on to believe that only these types of games will sell. It's probably true that games outside of those series might not perform as well, but does that mean that the games themselves won't be better, or even as good? I think not good sirs.

#23 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

" Capcom's Keiji Inafune has revealed Devil May Cry 5 will have a "western touch" to make it more desirable to European and North American gamers." 

Nope! Still don't wanna play it! After how lame DMC4 was, I totally have no intention of going anywhere near the series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.