RE-installing Diablo II and Lords of Destruction

Posted by ElBarto (272 posts) -

I don't got really anything much in the way of gaming. I have a nice backlog of games I'll probably never get around to because i'm too poor to afford them so I decided after recent fuss about Diablo III on the forum I go to, I peaked an interest in playing again. This usually happens once a year I play the game extensively for a little while and get on the right path as far as items for my main toon and then I just sort of set it aside. Last year I re-installed and I had a nearing perfect Zealadin. I was level 80, had perfect stats for what I wanted. Everything else was being pumped into Vit and I was a few runes away from two runewords I wanted and some runes away from runewords that I knew I could trade for Mara's (neck piece) and a Arachnid Mesh (belt).

Let's see how far I can get this time.

#1 Posted by ElBarto (272 posts) -

I don't got really anything much in the way of gaming. I have a nice backlog of games I'll probably never get around to because i'm too poor to afford them so I decided after recent fuss about Diablo III on the forum I go to, I peaked an interest in playing again. This usually happens once a year I play the game extensively for a little while and get on the right path as far as items for my main toon and then I just sort of set it aside. Last year I re-installed and I had a nearing perfect Zealadin. I was level 80, had perfect stats for what I wanted. Everything else was being pumped into Vit and I was a few runes away from two runewords I wanted and some runes away from runewords that I knew I could trade for Mara's (neck piece) and a Arachnid Mesh (belt).

Let's see how far I can get this time.

#2 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

This would make a better blog post then a forum article :)

Still cool your getting back into that game, it may be ancient but Blizzard really knew what they were doing. Wishing I could do so, but shelling out the $30 or $40 (I forget) for the chest just isn't my thing. Either that, or something cooler comes along and I keep forgetting about it.

#3 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

I always get a random Diablo II itch and will play for hours like once a month. I gotta admit the D3 news got me excited too.

#4 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -
@csoup said:
" This would make a better blog post then a forum article :)Still cool your getting back into that game, it may be ancient but Blizzard really knew what they were doing. Wishing I could do so, but shelling out the $30 or $40 (I forget) for the chest just isn't my thing. Either that, or something cooler comes along and I keep forgetting about it. "
I agree with the C-Soup.
#5 Posted by Axersia (1615 posts) -
@csoup said:
" This would make a better blog post then a forum article :)Still cool your getting back into that game, it may be ancient but Blizzard really knew what they were doing. Wishing I could do so, but shelling out the $30 or $40 (I forget) for the chest just isn't my thing. Either that, or something cooler comes along and I keep forgetting about it. "
You can buy legit CD keys for all of Blizzard's older games for a few bucks a pop (D2 + LOD only cost me 4 bucks) if you know where to look. Just enter them on your Battle.net account and you can download both the WIndows and Mac versions in any language available.
#6 Posted by Bobdaman18 (700 posts) -
@Axersia: where do i have to look?
#7 Posted by ElBarto (272 posts) -
@csoup: It is a blog post but I also tagged it to the D2 section, hoping to spur a conversation with anyone who might be considering re-installing as well and wanted to play or if anyone still playing wanted to lend a hand. : D
#8 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -
@ElBarto: Re-install? Fuck that, I always keep Diablo II installed. Are you playing on USEast? I could help you out.
#9 Posted by ajamafalous (11988 posts) -

I actually started playing again a few weeks ago. Friend and I have been farming keys and doing Uber Tristram runs.

#10 Posted by dudeglove (7818 posts) -

Even though I've never managed to solo hell, I had loads of fun with my Javazon and Enchantress (there's something endlessly amusing about enchanting a level 5 sorc and watching her kill Andariel in one hit). I think the highest I ever raised a character was a level 82 Trapsin. Trying to level any higher than that gets a bit dull, but overall I had a huge amount of fun rushing low levelers and trading n'shit.

Also, I'm surprised Blizzard were still patching it a decade on, but I doubt there will be anything more since the last one. There was a lot of bitching by purists about being able to (finally) re-spec, but really - it's ten fucking years old.

#11 Posted by ElBarto (272 posts) -
@Zithe: nah I'm on UsWest
#12 Posted by yyZiggurat (1016 posts) -

I got hyped after the beta QL and reinstalled D2. Anyone still playing?

#13 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

@HomemadeZiggurat: I actually installed the game for the first time ever today. It seems pretty cool (who knew?). It is weird that my frame of reference for this game comes from "oh, it's like Torchlight" when in reality it should work the other way.

#14 Posted by yyZiggurat (1016 posts) -

@Fripplebubby: That's awesome, man. Are you playing playing mulitplayer?

#15 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

@HomemadeZiggurat: No, and what with the whole colour issue on Win7 i'm hardly playing at all. I did the thing where you leave the screen resolution window open and use compatibility mode, but the colour is still messed up after about 30 minutes of playtime. I'll give it another shot though.

#16 Posted by TwoLines (2810 posts) -

Payed 4 bucks two months ago, played all the way through, good stuff.

#17 Posted by Matthew (1912 posts) -

I've just got a new pc. It's awesome. I'm installing all my games on it, thanks to a 2tb hard drive.

Guys, I can't find my Diablo 2 disc. I have my LoD disc and key, but I can't find my D2 Disc!!

#18 Posted by ElBarto (272 posts) -

@Matthew said:

I've just got a new pc. It's awesome. I'm installing all my games on it, thanks to a 2tb hard drive.

Guys, I can't find my Diablo 2 disc. I have my LoD disc and key, but I can't find my D2 Disc!!

if you've got the cd keys make a battle.net account if you don't already have one and you can just put in your cd keys and download the game from blizzard and install it disc free.

#19 Posted by Gilsham (293 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.