Blizzard Still Hoping to Release Diablo III This Year

• 95 results
Posted by patrickklepek (5760 posts) -
You might play Diablo III before the end of the year. You might not. Probably not, if I'm a betting man.

Even though Activision and Blizzard Entertainment are one and the same, Blizzard's treated differently than the rest of the company, with Activision never committing Blizzard to release dates or guaranteeing revenues until the game's actually out.

Blizzard was as non-committal as ever in today's call with investors, with Blizzard CEO Michael Morhaime once again restating that the company hopes to deliver Diablo III before the end of the year.

This is just a hope, though.

"[We're] not ready to commit to a release date at this time," said Morhaime.

"There's a lot of moving parts in putting out a complicated release like Diablo III," he said later. "We're not yet in beta. It's really going to come down to when the game is ready for prime-time. We'll know more when we hit beta and we'll know more when we put some of these new systems into test."

The new systems he's alluding to are, for example, the controversial real-money auction house.

Morhaime also said the impending beta test is scheduled before the end of the current quarter, which means sometime between now and the end of September.

Cross your fingers, folks.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (5760 posts) -
You might play Diablo III before the end of the year. You might not. Probably not, if I'm a betting man.

Even though Activision and Blizzard Entertainment are one and the same, Blizzard's treated differently than the rest of the company, with Activision never committing Blizzard to release dates or guaranteeing revenues until the game's actually out.

Blizzard was as non-committal as ever in today's call with investors, with Blizzard CEO Michael Morhaime once again restating that the company hopes to deliver Diablo III before the end of the year.

This is just a hope, though.

"[We're] not ready to commit to a release date at this time," said Morhaime.

"There's a lot of moving parts in putting out a complicated release like Diablo III," he said later. "We're not yet in beta. It's really going to come down to when the game is ready for prime-time. We'll know more when we hit beta and we'll know more when we put some of these new systems into test."

The new systems he's alluding to are, for example, the controversial real-money auction house.

Morhaime also said the impending beta test is scheduled before the end of the current quarter, which means sometime between now and the end of September.

Cross your fingers, folks.

#2 Edited by Legendary (136 posts) -

I would love to play Diablo III this year. Yes please.

#3 Posted by Giefcookie (608 posts) -

Summer 2012 release for sure-

#4 Posted by AxleBro (798 posts) -

2013 cant come fast enough. ... what? you know its not coming out anytime soon....

#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (7566 posts) -

I'm betting Spring or Summer 2012.

#6 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

I don't really mind if it comes out next year. Kinda hope it does. More time for Torchlight 2!

#7 Posted by mnzy (2916 posts) -

Heavy DRM, real money for items and no mods.
I'll wait and see...

#8 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

don't even care anymore. DRM.

#9 Edited by Crono (2689 posts) -

I'd put AH money on it that Diablo 3 will be released this year. The beta will begin this month.

I only play these sort of games online so the DRM doesn't bother me. It isn't as invasive as most DRM that gets such a bad rap. Of course it has no mods, none of the previous titles had no official mod support and with a real-world money AH, no-mods = level playing field. I find the inclusion of the real-money AH to be really awesome, personally. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

#10 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

I would love to play this game NOW!

#11 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

"It's not even quarters away!"

#12 Posted by lumberingjackal (232 posts) -

Shrug.

#13 Posted by cowdrunk (245 posts) -

I was super excited in what was it 2008 when they first said it was realy real, most of that excitment has faded to anoid pesimism but I still realy want to play this game

I still think it would be amaising if Diablo 3 released side by side with Torchlight 3

#14 Posted by AndrewB (7670 posts) -

I think we're all hoping they do too. It's the only game I've pre-ordered since... damn, I can't even remember. Probably Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (The Orange Box).

#15 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

I'm out anyway (earlier I was on the fence because I don't like the art style, but now I'm out for good).

Vinny put my feelings into words in the last bombcast: some of the fun is lost when you put too much real life into the game.

Even if I forced myself to not use the real money AH, I'd always wonder how much my rare items are worth when I find them. It just gets in the way of enjoying the game as a pure gaming experience. Blizzard can keep this moneymaker. I want to play videogames.

#16 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1686 posts) -

I wasn't really interested in this game to begin with. but with the whole auction house thing I lost the last bit of interest. I will pass on this one but as a PC game I wish blizzard the best and hope it turns out successful for them.

#17 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -

Anybody else feel like Activision and Blizzard are try to time this release around The Old Republic?

#18 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

Ummm....the odds of Blizzard releasing DIII this year are the same as that of the government managing to balance the budget. 

#19 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

100 brad bucks that it doesn't come out this year.

#20 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@2HeadedNinja said:

but as a PC game I wish blizzard the best and hope it turns out successful for them.

Well, I don't but it will probably turn out to be successful. And then gamers will get used to it and others will follow with similar crap. It pushes the boundaries of gaming further into a direction I don't like at all.

#21 Posted by Tordah (2481 posts) -

I highly doubt this.

#22 Posted by Arath (58 posts) -
@AgentofChaos said:

Anybody else feel like Activision and Blizzard are try to time this release around The Old Republic?

Seriously doubt it, considering that they are not in beta, they have to go gold and print and press discs. Also The Old Republic does not have an actual release date only a release window. With BlizzCon in October (?) they can ride the hype off of that through anything that EA and BioWare throw their way.

The one to watch would really be Guild Wars 2 and that is also running to a when it's ready release date. I have a feeling Diablo III will be early next year (probably before the end of the fiscal year), that gives the game a clean window with no competition, allows them to make a splash after the big Christmas rush.
#23 Posted by v0rt3xRo (18 posts) -

sadly if the beta hasn't started yet i don't think the game will be released this year, perhaps Q1 next year 
also people who won't buy the game because of the real money AH are stupid.

#24 Posted by JoeyRavn (4998 posts) -

@phrali said:

don't even care anymore. DRM.

Sadly, this. The latest news about DIII have left a terribly bitter aftertaste in my mouth.

#25 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Wow, talk about Blizzard brainwashing almost everyone here. Apparently you guys are cool with constant online DRM, but when other companies pull it off, all hell breaks lose.

#26 Posted by misterhaan (227 posts) -

i volunteered for the beta -- hopefully i'll be one of those playing it two months from now!

#27 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@v0rt3xRo said:

also people who won't buy the game because of the real money AH are stupid.

also people who will buy the game despite the real money AH are stupid.

#28 Posted by v0rt3xRo (18 posts) -
@CptBedlam said:

also people who will buy the game despite of the real money AH are stupid.

typical answer from people who act before they think, and have no ability to look at the big picture
#29 Posted by dream431ca (172 posts) -

NO!!! Please come out next year! To many games this fall! :,(

#30 Posted by Koshka (188 posts) -

@ch13696: I'm not getting DIII for quite a few reasons, but I'm cool with Blizzards DRM to be honest. I play SCII and it works well overall with only a few frustrations.

#31 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@v0rt3xRo said:

@CptBedlam said:

also people who will buy the game despite of the real money AH are stupid.

typical answer from people who act before they think, and have no ability to look at the big picture

Right back at ya, leet speak user.

Seriously, people like you are so short-sighted you don't even realize how Blizzard turns you into their own authorized dealers. They provide the product (game items), you sell/buy it and Blizzard makes money off of every transaction. What an awesome videogame for which you will be working for all day after you bought it! I feel sorry for you.

#32 Edited by Marz (5659 posts) -

If it's released this year then OMG the end of the year is going to be stacked with games i want to buy.

#33 Posted by DexterKid (668 posts) -

''Even though Activision and Blizzard Entertainment are one and the same''

That's not exactly true, Activision and Blizzard are two separate companies, both subsidiaries of the parent company Activision-Blizzard. The way Activision handles its business and franchises (CoD, xHero, etc.), does not necessarily have an effect on what Blizzard does.

Some people tend to think of that big merger as 'Activision buying Blizzard', when really it was more like Vivendi buying Activision. Which is why Blizzard is still completely autonomous, and therefore not subject to the same treatment as internal studios of Activision.

#34 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

When does Heart of the Swarm come out? I bet this is six months before then.

#35 Posted by AndrewB (7670 posts) -

I just hope that the auction house stuff isn't going to hold up the actual game release. That's totally something that could be patched in at a later date. The game is going to require an internet connection anyway.

#36 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Am I the only person in the world who doesnt understand what is wrong with DRM? I've never had a problem with any type of DRM for the 20 years Ive been gaming. Every game Ive ever bought with some type of DRM I can still play without issues.

#37 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

I doubt it'll come out this year.

"Hope? There never was much hope.

Just a fool's hope!" ~ Gandalf

#38 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5147 posts) -

Yeah right.

#39 Posted by vaportra1l (272 posts) -

I WANT TO BELIEVE

MY BODY IS READY

#40 Posted by FMinus (395 posts) -

Looking at how they approach Diablo 3, I think World of Warcraft will be my last game from Blizzard.

#41 Posted by Brad (3227 posts) -

@DexterKid said:

That's not exactly true, Activision and Blizzard are two separate companies, both subsidiaries of the parent company Activision-Blizzard. The way Activision handles its business and franchises (CoD, xHero, etc.), does not necessarily have an effect on what Blizzard does.

Some people tend to think of that big merger as 'Activision buying Blizzard', when really it was more like Vivendi buying Activision. Which is why Blizzard is still completely autonomous, and therefore not subject to the same treatment as internal studios of Activision.

Your first paragraph is accurate, but Morhaime reports to the COO of Activision, so saying Blizzard operates with complete independence is overly simplifying the matter.

Staff
#42 Posted by QKT (250 posts) -

who plays diablo offline?

#43 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@FMinus said:

Looking at how they approach Diablo 3, I think World of Warcraft will be my last game from Blizzard.

Why? D3 unfortunately seems to be a lot like WoW.

@QKT said:

who plays diablo offline?

For me Diablo was always a solo or Lan-game.

#44 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Honestly, I'm getting to the point where I don't care if the game comes out or not.  For the PC, my focus is switching to SWTOR.

#45 Posted by DexterKid (668 posts) -

@Brad said:

@DexterKid said:

Your first paragraph is accurate, but Morhaime reports to the COO of Activision, so saying Blizzard operates with complete independence is overly simplifying the matter.

I don't think their level of autonomy is any lesser today than it has been under Vivendi since '91. There is a good reason why the parent company is called what it is, and it's more than just for the brand recognition.

#46 Posted by pweidman (2342 posts) -

Damn, they didn't even commit to a date to start the beta :(. Wishful thinking on my part I guess, but I thought they were ready to start w/the new announcements and private showings and all last week.

#47 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -
@Canteu said:
Am I the only person in the world who doesnt understand what is wrong with DRM? I've never had a problem with any type of DRM for the 20 years Ive been gaming. Every game Ive ever bought with some type of DRM I can still play without issues.
I think there's a misunderstanding here for a lot of people, hence the issue. For me, DRM is fine, I love it. No, really.  

It's that certain kinds of DRM completely get under my skin, like install limits (which is why I will never purchase Arkham Asylum on these awesome sales. It has a 4 install limit, and no revoke tool) and some DRM methods in the past caused driver issues, hardware incompatibility, and even created security flaws.

Right now, it's the "you can't play your game when you want, where you want, unless you can access the web" which is a big issue for some people who just want to enjoy the single player, which would often be paradoxically locked away from them. 

For me, in this case, I actually agree with Blizzard's action towards DRM, because a potential Real World Market is at stake for them, and most players interested in it. Yes, it's an inconvenience to some people and I understand their frustration, but ultimately I feel like this form of DRM is justified and borderline MUST have.
#48 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@Brad: Hey Brad, apparently players will be able to buy ingame gold with real money, not just items. Just to let you know for the next D3 discussion on the bombcast. ;) Cheers!

#49 Posted by tangmcgame (79 posts) -

I sincerely wish Blizzard would stop announcing games 3+ years before they're ready for release.  It's not like they need THAT much time to gather hype.

#50 Posted by doe3879 (807 posts) -

the more I hear/see/read about this game...

the less interested I get. I stop playing WoW a few months ago, maybe cuz it's reminding me too much about WOW

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.