Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Is anyone else's GPU running super hot?

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ichthy

I'm playing on a laptop, so already it doesn't have the best cooling, but normally games don't push the temperature past 80 or 85 or so. Right now I'm averaging 90, and this is after capping the maximum framerate. Before that it was hitting 100 and shutting down my machine.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Skytylz

I don't know, I haven't been able to start a game.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By noremnants

I am getting the same thing. Mine was spiking up to about 107 in a desktop so I had to cap it at 45 in order to get the heat down to a manageable level of low 90s.

TheBostonPops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheBostonPops

Yeah, mine crashed the computer this morning because of that. Right when I got to the bottom of a dungeon and opened a rare chest too! Didn't get any of the items :/

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mcfart

I suggest updating drivers or lowering detail settings, because 105 or even 90 will reduce the life of your hardware.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By noremnants

Cap it at 60 and you should be fine. I think part of my issue is that I need to clean all the dust out of my card.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

@Havox said:

[...] I think part of my issue is that I need to clean all the dust out of my card.

This is good advice for anyone, especially laptop users. Certain brands of laptops are known to form dust clots that can severely hamper air-flow and thus performance.

Phyrlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Phyrlord

also a cooling laptop tray can make an amazing difference. 20-30 degrees easy.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Aviar

Gonna have to run speedfan while playing tonight to keep an eye on my gpu. Good info. Game played smooth last night, and I didn't hear my fans kick into overdrive, but I'm gonna watch out for this.

Was anyone seeing this with any particular type of card, like Nvidia or AMD?

Redhorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Redhorn
    @Phyrlord

Is that only for powered ones, or are there unpowered trays that work well too?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You should probably get one of those little cooling pads you put under the laptop.

Phyrlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Phyrlord

@Nekrokreuz said:

@Phyrlord

Is that only for powered ones, or are there unpowered trays that work well too?

The powered ones with fans for sure. Some are powered from the laptop USB ports.. so a an extra power cord is not needed. I have a lot of friends that sware by them.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By monetarydread

My 680 runs at 45c and that is hot for this card.

Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Wipeout

My fans were not going into Saints Row the Third mode, so I'm not seeing that. I do have Vsync turned on as everyone should, that limits it to 60 fps no matter what you have the slider set to.

If you're wondering, Saints Row the Third sends my SLI setup and processor into thermonuclear fission mode, blasting furnace heat out of the top and back of my case.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icemo

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this problem wouldn't have happened if you just played with a PC instead. Laptop is not meant to be used for playing games (I'm talking to you gaming laptop!).

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BrockNRolla

My GPU is always running hot.

I love my MacBook Pro; the limited footprint along with the power is great. But god almighty, that baby was not made for dissipating heat.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Ben_H

I'll have to check next time I play. The fan on my card was quite a bit louder than normal when I got to play yesterday. I'll also have to cap the frames at 60.

SC2 had similar issues initially, only that there were certain cases where it would completely fry certain cards with certain drivers. They fixed it with that game. I need to cap frames in-game for it, I just checked yesterday and it was doing 190FPS. Oops.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.