Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Safe for public games yet?

ChampInMaking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ChampInMaking

I apologize if this was covered earlier, I did lok back several pages but couldn't find anything.

Ahem, Hi all,

Now I was a huge fan of D2 back in the day and played more than one really should. We're talking like waking up super earlier before the bus came to do baal runs. I know I am probably not alone in that but you see where I'm coming from in my enthusiasm for the series.

Now I played and beat D3 with my barb (although only just reached the last act in Nightmare) and I'm hitting a wall. For me the fun of D2 was in its multiplayer. I loved going through that list of games of "trist runs," "Itelebaals," and the like. However this is missing from D3. I miss being able to create a game and have people join. Now I know you can make your game public but last I heard (granted I've been out of touch for a while now) it was unsafe and could lead to your account being hacked if you made you games public.

Now I know people will probably say tings like "get an authenticator" or something but I remember in an earlier topic weeks ago that even people with authenticators were being hacked. All I want to know is can I play with other people? The game quickly loses its fun if I'm slogging through this by myself and my friends have stopped playing.

It's just a real bummer that I've (we've) waited so long and yet I can't yet fully enjoy it. I mean times have changed, my D2 obsession is at least six or seven years behind me and I don't have the fre time of a high school student to play... but damn. I mean the game is a blast to play but as I said, playing alone really just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Sorry to go off like that but is it safe yet?

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#2  Edited By Savage

It's safe to play public games now and it always was. That rumor was never substantiated. Getting an authenticator is still a good idea, regardless.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Loafsmooch

People never got hacked from public games. That's impossible. People got hacked most likely because they registered to different websites with the same username/password as their battle.net account, and those websites in turn got hacked. Same thing happened alot in WoW because of random questionable guildsites and whatnot.

ChampInMaking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ChampInMaking

Ah ok, coolio

I suppose people were just falsely assuming that battle.net was to blame.

Thank you very much

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By kindgineer

@ChampInMaking said:

Ah ok, coolio

I suppose people were just falsely assuming that battle.net was to blame.

Thank you very much

Yup, you are in the clear. It's Blizzard, there is a gigantic target tattoo on their forehead for trolls to throw shit at/

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SomeJerk

You're safe now, one of Blizzard's many patches covered up the session ID weakness that bypassed authenthicators. When the similar thing in Diablo 2 went down they went sort of public with what happened and how they fixed it, but they weren't part of "HUSH, EVERYTHING IS FINE" Activision then.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By fox01313

Instead of public games, might be easier to just go to the battlenet id trading thread on the site & just join up with others on the site playing it.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hunkulese
    @SomeJerk
    You're safe now, one of Blizzard's many patches covered up the session ID weakness that bypassed authenthicators. When the similar thing in Diablo 2 went down they went sort of public with what happened and how they fixed it, but they weren't part of "HUSH, EVERYTHING IS FINE" Activision then.
    There wasn't one instance reported of someone with an authenticator getting hacked.
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By groin
    @SomeJerk said:
    That session ID stuff was made up technically incompetent people. It never happened and all of the compromised accounts were due to stolen passwords.
    BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By BionicRadd

@SomeJerk said:

Know what i've never seen or heard of? One youtube video showing someone doing the session ID hijacking thing. Not one. You're telling me that if this was a real thing that could be done, no one would document doing it for posterity? Diablo 2 had way more client side activity going on the 3 does. That's one of the reasons Blizzard went the route they did with 3.

diablomasterOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By diablomasterOO

D3 is always be safe to public and will always be.. I don't really get it why some people thing that playing any online games is not safe...you just need to see the brighter picture may be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.