Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DiRT 2

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 08, 2009

DIRT 2 is part of the long-running rally-racing-series from Codemasters.

Colin McRae's DIRT 2 Preview

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

DIRT 2: NOW SLIGHTLY MORE DIRTIER! 

More dirt makes a better game, that's a proven fact.
    Racing fans are in for a treat with a number of exciting titles hitting consoles and PC this year alone. One such title is CodemastersDIRT 2, a sequel (of sorts) to 2007's DIRT. Now I say it's a sequel of sorts simply because the Colin McRae rally franchise as been around for a while now and despite the rally legend's death in 2007, Codemasters as seen it fit to continue calling the franchise after the former WRC champion. But it's clear that the British based developers are looking to take the popular motorsport series in a totally new and radical direction.  

Dirt 2 looks to build upon the solid foundations formed with the original game while also offering something racing fans haven't seen to often when it comes to the variations of rallying. For Dirt 2 takes on a much more extreme sports image then past games, in fact it's quite odd to look back to how pleasant the original Colin McRae games seem compared to Dirt 2. But change can be a good thing, and it's clear that Codemasters want to reimagine all their popular racing franchises. But does this radical new image make the game any better? We'll have to wait and see, and while I have concerns about the direction the series is heading in. One cannot deny the exciting new features of Dirt 2.  

Dirt 2 will feature vast graphical improvements over the original game released back in 2007. 
    Dirt 2 will feature vast graphical improvements over the original game released back in 2007. 
    Like all good sequels, Dirt 2 is hoping to answer the complaints from fans of the original game. More weight as been added to the way vehicles handle, and the varied environments will play as bigger part as ever. For example many tracks and routes will now feature water puddles which can slow your car down and have a number of other effects on the cars performance, so taking the right racing line is as important as ever. Tire grip as also seen improvements, so now hopefully powerslides will be a possibility unlike in the previous game. Codemasters also report that there will be over 100 different surfaces to deal with that will also obviously vary from location to location. This will also mean that Rallycross will be as exciting and challenging as ever.  

While the original Dirt game was one fancy looking racing game, Dirt 2 as clearly seen vast improvements in both lighting and environmental features. Lighting in particular looks like it will make the world of difference to the overall visual offerings in Dirt 2, with realistic sunflare, environmental fog and a number of other improvements with the new addition of night racing having been added to the game. A new particle system as also been put in place which will allow the game to reiterate what works on specific surfaces and what doesn't. This should allow for more variation in the effects trailing from vehicles.  

Is Dirt 2's more radical image the right direction for the franchise? 
    Dirt 2 career mode will feature 100 different events consisting of nine different racing variations from Rallying, Rallycross to trailblazers. Multiplayer mode also see some new additions over the past game where only a specific set of racing types were available to play with friends online. Now all featured racing variations are playable and there will also be the ability to mix and match race and track types. For example you could race Baja vehicles on a rallycross track, this will allow for both experimentation and new challenges when playing online. Codemasters have also stated that there will now be two specified multiplayer modes in Pro Tour and Jam Sessions Online.  

Pro Tour mode will be a stricter form of racing online with extra anti-cheating systems in place while Jam Sessions will allow you and your friends to customized races as you wish. It's clear that the multiplayer mode will now become an even bigger part of Dirt 2's overall package from what we've seen of the game already. Of course it's not all about the graphics or handling, there are many minor improvements such as extra customization options which will actually allow you to have your very own Xbox 360 avatar swinging from your in-car mirror and much more. There will also be a dedicated soundtrack featuring popular bands to match the games new extreme styled image.  

Dirt 2 hits store 8th (US) and 11th (EU) of September.
    Overall Dirt 2 will hopefully offer the eagerly anticipated improvements over the original game while keeping it as tight a package as possible. How well this new extreme radical image will work is yet to be seen, but it already looks like it'll be one of the best looking games on the current market. Vast additions to the multiplayer mode will be welcomed by all and hopefully Dirt 2 will be as challenging and as fun as the original. Hitting stores on September the 8th for the United States, and the 11th of September for the rest of Europe. I think it's fair to say that this is one game, you won't mind getting a little dirty for.  

Thanks for Reading! 
    Follow me on Twitter (JosephBayliss). 

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

DIRT 2: NOW SLIGHTLY MORE DIRTIER! 

Racing fans are in for a treat with a number of exciting titles hitting consoles and PC this year alone. One such title is CodemastersDIRT 2, a sequel (of sorts) to 2007's DIRT. Now I say it's a sequel of sorts simply because the Colin McRae rally franchise as been around for a while now and despite the rally legend's death in 2007, Codemasters as seen it fit to continue calling the franchise after the former WRC champion. But it's clear that the British based developers are looking to take the popular motorsport series in a totally new and radical direction.  

Dirt 2 looks to build upon the solid foundations formed with the original game while also offering something racing fans haven't seen to often when it comes to the variations of rallying. For Dirt 2 takes on a much more extreme sports image then past games, in fact it's quite odd to look back to how pleasant the original Colin McRae games seem compared to Dirt 2. But change can be a good thing, and it's clear that Codemasters want to reimagine all their popular racing franchises. But does this radical new image make the game any better? We'll have to wait and see, and while I have concerns about the direction the series is heading in. One cannot deny the exciting new features of Dirt 2.  

Like all good sequels, Dirt 2 is hoping to answer the complaints from fans of the original game. More weight as been added to the way vehicles handle, and the varied environments will play as bigger part as ever. For example many tracks and routes will now feature water puddles which can slow your car down and have a number of other effects on the cars performance, so taking the right racing line is as important as ever. Tire grip as also seen improvements, so now hopefully powerslides will be a possibility unlike in the previous game. Codemasters also report that there will be over 100 different surfaces to deal with that will also obviously vary from location to location. This will also mean that Rallycross will be as exciting and challenging as ever.  

While the original Dirt game was one fancy looking racing game, Dirt 2 as clearly seen vast improvements in both lighting and environmental features. Lighting in particular looks like it will make the world of difference to the overall visual offerings in Dirt 2, with realistic sunflare, environmental fog and a number of other improvements with the new addition of night racing having been added to the game. A new particle system as also been put in place which will allow the game to reiterate what works on specific surfaces and what doesn't. This should allow for more variation in the effects trailing from vehicles.  

Dirt 2 career mode will feature 100 different events consisting of nine different racing variations from Rallying, Rallycross to trailblazers. Multiplayer mode also see some new additions over the past game where only a specific set of racing types were available to play with friends online. Now all featured racing variations are playable and there will also be the ability to mix and match race and track types. For example you could race Baja vehicles on a rallycross track, this will allow for both experimentation and new challenges when playing online. Codemasters have also stated that there will now be two specified multiplayer modes in Pro Tour and Jam Sessions Online.  

Pro Tour mode will be a stricter form of racing online with extra anti-cheating systems in place while Jam Sessions will allow you and your friends to customized races as you wish. It's clear that the multiplayer mode will now become an even bigger part of Dirt 2's overall package from what we've seen of the game already. Of course it's not all about the graphics or handling, there are many minor improvements such as extra customization options which will actually allow you to have your very own Xbox 360 avatar swinging from your in-car mirror and much more. There will also be a dedicated soundtrack featuring popular bands to match the games new extreme styled image.  

Overall Dirt 2 will hopefully offer the eagerly anticipated improvements over the original game while keeping it as tight a package as possible. How well this new extreme radical image will work is yet to be seen, but it already looks like it'll be one of the best looking games on the current market. Vast additions to the multiplayer mode will be welcomed by all and hopefully Dirt 2 will be as challenging and as fun as the original. Hitting stores on September the 8th for the United States, and the 11th of September for the rest of Europe. I think it's fair to say that this is one game, you won't mind getting a little dirty for.  

Thanks for Reading! 
    Follow me on Twitter (JosephBayliss). 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

I'm not too keen on DiRT, I like Codemasters but I disliked last games suspension on most of the cars I played with, it was almost like it had been exaggerated for dramatic effect, creating a better overall look to the racing, but losing realism in handling as a result.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Griddler

Excellent write-up, I tried out the demo when it came out on PSN last thursday and I was hugely impressed.
    I wasn't really expecting a lot but I loved it, I'm definitely going to pick it up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.