Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DiRT 2

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 08, 2009

DIRT 2 is part of the long-running rally-racing-series from Codemasters.

Unlock Graphics Settings Restrictions

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Well, I just recently bought DiRT 2 during one of those damn Steam sales, and now I'm finally getting to play it.  However, I'm having issues with my graphical settings.  While a few settings I can set to Ultra, the majority are stuck on high, with post-processing on medium. I WANT THIS GAME TO LOOK SEXY.   

I can't use DX11 right now, due to the fact my gfx card is a GTX 280, but there is no reason I shouldn't be able to turn textures and other stuff to ultra.  The DX11 should only affect the tesselation and ambient occlusion settings, AFAIK.  My  understanding is that the game locks the settings due to memory, gfx card memory, and cpu speed, much like GTA IV.  With my rig, however, which is fucking beasting on the settings I have it on now, it shouldn't be a problem in the least. 

GTX 280  
    AMD Phenom X6 1090T Six Core Processor 
    4 Gigs RAM 
    Vista 32 Bit. 

Please help!

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By spaceturtle

I don't know, really. I've maxed that game out no problem, even with a lesser rig. Perhaps there is some possibility to change the settings pre-launch. You know, the typical video settings screen which appears on some games when clicking the icon to launch it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@SPACETURTLE:  
    Yeah, the only problem is that I'm using Steam, so that's not really an option.  I was hoping to find someone who maybe knew how to edit an .ini or a .xml (as it were) and could tell me how to override these restrictions myself.
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By spaceturtle
    @InfamousBIG:  
    Ah, yes of course. I forgot you bought it off steam. Anyways, I just had a quick look at the xml files for Dirt2 myself and I gotta be honest, I don't really know in detail how those setting should be altered in order to make it work properly. You could take a copy of the original file and just try and mess around with the file. In case you fuck it up completely you have the original backed up and wont need to reinstall the whole thing. That's my best advice. Just mess around with the file and see if you get it to work properly. That's what I've personally done with other games in the past.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

First off, there isn't even a texture setting in Dirt 2.  There are 4 settings on 'high' that can't be turned to 'ultra' and the post processing medium as you say.  Are you sure those 'high' settings even have an ultra in DX11?  Even if they do have ultra levels it may be DX11-only effects.  It's all stuff like 'lighting' and 'particles'.  I don't think you're gonna be able to enable those either way.  If you take a look at comparison screenshots there really isn't much difference anyways.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SlasherMan

What Diamond said. There are some settings that max out at high regardless of DX version, so high's as far as they go.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Th3_James

Yeah, some settings are locked to high. The game looks fucking amazing maxed out will all settings in DX11 @ 1920x1080 60hz vsync. 

I have all versions of the game, pc version with my 5870 is just unreal. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.