Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DiRT 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 24, 2011

Dirt 3 is the latest installment in Codemasters' long-running Colin McRae Rally franchise. The game returns to the series' rally roots with dynamic weather, a career focusing on team-based racing, as well as introducing the freestyle event: Gymkhana.

Anyone else hate the way Dirt handles the menus?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jams

I hate the fact it takes time to go from one point on the menu to the next. It took me a long ass time to quit the game this morning and it drove me nuts. Why can't they just have some nice slick static menus I can run through. Who really thinks it's a good idea to have a 30 second animation play through each time you select an option? To quit the game from the middle of playing I have to first ...

• retire
    • press b
    • wait
    • press b
    • wait
    • press b
    • wait
    • press b
    • wait
    • press b
    • wait
    • down
    • down
    • down
    • down
    • down
    • exit
    why the hell can't I just exit to desktop straight away? Anyone else with me on this?  

P.S. I'm pretty patient when it comes to things like disc swapping and load times, but something as stupid as animations between selecting options is the worst and I cannot stand it at all.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By buft

press eject on your ps3/xbox 360, revert to dashboard, CTRL alt delete on PC

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mfpantst

no because the animations aren't 30 seconds each.  Also the only thing I'd say yes to is the way the menus are designed for the console.  That irritates me.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jams
    @mfpantst said:
    no because the animations aren't 30 seconds each.  Also the only thing I'd say yes to is the way the menus are designed for the console.  That irritates me.
    may not be 30 seconds, but it sure feels like 30 seconds.
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By mfpantst
    @jams: Lol- no it didn't bother me much, but like I said the real thing I didn't like was the console-ized menus (no mouse).  Other than that, it was fine.  I sorta think codemasters knows how to do menus and like the way in which they take menus a little more seriously. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Dirt 2's menus in theory, but wading through them got annoying. 

Dirt 3's menus look snappier, at least.

proggykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By proggykins

The menus are pretty, but going through them gets old quickly.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By valrog

Seems like you haven't seen Fable III menus...

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Robo

I love them, but they do get a little annoying at times and start to feel slower than necessary. Especially when you have to keep retrying a race/challenge because you keep just BARELY missing out on platinum.

It's like a mini-challenge for me to watch those last 5 seconds or so (some sort of subtle countdown beep would have been nice) trying to hit pause and restart before time runs out - because it instantly restarts that way.
    If you miss it and time runs out, to retry you have to first hear some variation of "Gold! Great job dude!" every time then sit through that slow pan down to the car before the menu pops up for you to start again. That announcer and pan might not seem like much but while trying to get all platinum on the Gymkhana training events having to sit through that God knows how many times is maddening. I just want to quickly get back to the challenge.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.