Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DiRT 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 24, 2011

Dirt 3 is the latest installment in Codemasters' long-running Colin McRae Rally franchise. The game returns to the series' rally roots with dynamic weather, a career focusing on team-based racing, as well as introducing the freestyle event: Gymkhana.

Can a newcomer to the series still enjoy it?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#1  Edited By MightyDuck

Hey guys,

I was pretty impressed with the quick look and TNT to go along with the game.  I had planned on picking it up upon it's release.  However, I downloaded the Dirt 2 demo just to get a feel for what to expect.  Oddly enough, I really didn't enjoy the Dirt 2 demo too much.  I found myself constantly spinning out and having a hell of a time with the trail blazer.  

Anyway, what I'm asking is if the game is friendly enough for a new comer to the series.  I've always been partial to the Need for Speed and GT series, so maybe I just need to get out of the handling mindset that go along with those games.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Cows_R_Crunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Cows_R_Crunk

Does the Dirt 2 demo have assists turned on? They're in the game and should help you out quite a bit. Dirt 2 was my first Dirt game, and I would say if you can drive well in Dirt 2, your skills will carry over into Dirt 3. I'm by no means a hardcore racing game fan and haven't put a crazy amount of hours into the games, but I can still do some nice cornering without any assists, so it's definetely just a matter of a little practice.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SpartyOn
    @GetWhatYagive: It's a great game, but you're going to have to accept the fact that you are going to spin out a lot and have to use the rewind feature, or restart the race.  It gets easier as you get better and learn the tracks, but it's a pretty tough/demanding driving game. 

That being said, I love Dirt 3, it's a whole hell of a lot of fun if you're willing to deal with the initial difficulty.  

Oh and there are a TON of options to adjust the difficulty, the easiest of which makes the game a breeze by making the AI slow as hell. 
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MightyDuck

Thanks for the input guys.  Perhaps I will give it a shot then.   The rewind feature is something that I have a feeling I'll definitely be needing. 

To be honest, the Gymkhana is what has me most intrigued by the game I think.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By valrog
    @GetWhatYagive: I had to turn on assists. I'm playing with keyboard by the way. It's still a great game, and assists don't really affect Drifting/Gymkhana (Well, there are different kind of assists with those).
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hunkulese

It's a driving game. There is no story so you can start with whatever game you want. You're going to have to learn how the game works but you can choose 1 2 or 3 to learn on and you'll be fine.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
    @GetWhatYagive
    Absolutely. I think Dirt 3 does a great job easing anyone into the game. I'll warn you though; Gymkhana events are harder than you would think. But, it's still a great game to start with.
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MightyDuck

Thanks for the continued input guys.  I appreciate it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.