Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DiRT 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 24, 2011

Dirt 3 is the latest installment in Codemasters' long-running Colin McRae Rally franchise. The game returns to the series' rally roots with dynamic weather, a career focusing on team-based racing, as well as introducing the freestyle event: Gymkhana.

I loved RalliSport Challenge 2. Would I like Dirt 3?

MightyJ77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MightyJ77

Just wondering if the two are comparable at all.  Any thoughts?

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Franstone

Absolutely...
    I also was a big fan of all the Rallisport games.
    Was actually thinking back about Rallisport yesterday as I started playing Dirt 3.
    Just another example of how games have progressed which gave me and ear to ear grin.  
    : )

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Jackel2072

Yeah. i played a shit load of Ralisport challenge 2 back in the day. Dirt 3 is good, really good. The controls lean a bit more towards sim then arcade here. but its by no means Forza or GT5. For me RS2 was my rally game. something about that thing just spoke to me and i was in tune with each car and track. I held a few top times on XBL too. I enjoy Dirt 3 its a great game and im sure you will enjoy it as well. but RS2 it is not. no game for will ever come close.  

Side Note. the X Games 3XTREME bull shit from dirt 2 has been toned down a bit this time around. but the game still has that (not in a good way) knuckle head board room ideas of  "cool" 

astonish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By astonish
    Rallisport Challenge 2 is perhaps my favorite racing game of all time. I played the bejeezus out of it when I was a student. I probably put more time in to RSC2 than any other console game. Ever since DICE was bought by EA and Rallisport stopped I have been waiting for a spiritual successor. 

I thought the other two Dirt games were OK, but they left me longing for the Multiplayer aspects of RSC2 and some RSC2 modes (leaderboards, Xover, ice racing). Plus most Dirt games had too many trucks and not enouhgh rally. 

I'd say the spiritual successor is here. This game is GREAT. It feels good, has great community options, good multiplayer, it looks fantastic, and has some throw backs to RSC2 locations. Snow! X-Over! Way more Rally!

I'm only a day in but I can see myself playing a lot of Dirt 3 this year :D
    everdred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By everdred

While its certainly not a replacement for RalliSport Challenge 2 its actually the closest to it in my opinion.  This is coming from a person that didn't think Dirt 1 and 2 were even close to RalliSport Challenge.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WickedFather

The camera options in Rallisport were great - you could pick which views it would cycle through.  I had one inside and one for outside to pop out to when things got stupid.  That needs to be in every racing game.

Shirubain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shirubain

I loved Rallisport challenge
    Did not like Dirt
    Did not like Dirt 2
    But i love Dirt 3 !!!!!

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By MildMolasses

As others have said, it is really good, but not as good as Rallisport Challenge. The one thing that I missed most from those games was the snow races, but they don't seem as wildly out of control in dirt 3 as I remember them from RC2
    circ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By circ

I was a big fan of RC2 and like Dirt 3 a lot so far which has more variety than RC2 and plays just as well (and looks a lot better). If you can stomach some dudebro idiocy (the gymkhana stuff is so fucking stupid) and focus on the gameplay (such as the Kenya rallies and rallycross), you'll probably be pretty happy.

dmoney8719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dmoney8719

I had to sign up for this site just to add to this topic. I can't believe that I finally found some other people aware of the complete bag of awesomeness that is Rallisport Challenge 2. I loved the shit out of that game. Especially the custom soundtrack option, I was bumping Linkin Park hardcore at the time (don't judge). The racing was perfect and the graphics were mind-blowing. The in-car view during a night time raining track was crazy. I was so disappointed with dirt 1 and 2, they didn't have half the awesome racing types RSC2 had. I'm still kind of disappointed hearing that Dirt 3 doesn't have hill climb tracks or any hill climb cars, and that they advertise the inclusion of Group B cars like it's never been done before. But it does look and sound awesome. I'm tired of waiting for RSC2 to be added to the X360 compatibility list or any news of a RSC3, so I'll give Dirt 3 a try.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#11  Edited By beard_of_zeus
    @Franstone said:
    Absolutely... I also was a big fan of all the Rallisport games. Was actually thinking back about Rallisport yesterday as I started playing Dirt 3. Just another example of how games have progressed which gave me and ear to ear grin.   : )
    I had the same exact experience! But to answer the OP's question, yes, you would indeed enjoy Dirt 3! I never played either of the 2 previous Dirt games, so I can't speak to those, but I'm having a blast with this game.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Yanngc33

Ralisport challenge 2 brings back some great memories, used to play with the wheel and pedals, its awesome. Can't wait to play this now :)

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By FesteringNeon

I played an ass-ton of RS2. If you've never played a game in the DiRT series, you can pick up the first one dirt cheap, ($10) and it's still awesome. (pun intended) I also enjoyed DiRT2 which is also dirt cheap, ($15) so nothing leads me to believe the 3rd would be any different.

astonish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By astonish
    @bukkookkub said:
    I played an ass-ton of RS2. If you've never played a game in the DiRT series, you can pick up the first one dirt cheap, ($10) and it's still awesome. (pun intended) I also enjoyed DiRT2 which is also dirt cheap, ($15) so nothing leads me to believe the 3rd would be any different.
    You can get em even cheaper during Steam sales ($5!).   

I used to race pretty frequently in the RSC2 community and although I'm not very good myself, I became friends with a few people that used to dominate the leaderboards. I know many of them have decided to come back to Dirt 3 after taking a break from online racing. This game should have a great leaderboard/community. 

I really hope we get some regular GB dirt 3 nights organized!
    MightyJ77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MightyJ77

Thanks everyone for the responses!  Sounds like I should definitely check it out.

circ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By circ

I'll amend my endorsement of Dirt 3 a little bit based on 5 hours of gameplay. The races are pretty short compared RC2 which had 6 to 10 minute long rally races, in Dirt 3 I have yet to do a rally longer than 2 minutes. So, if you want a more bite sized RC2 (with a lot more variety), then give Dirt 3 a try. But if you just want long ass rallies, then Dirt 3 might not satisfy you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.