Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Sep 15, 2017

Billie and Daud are back to attempt an impossible assassination.

No one else looking forward to this?

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Zurv

I am :) I really liked dishonored 2 - maybe my personal game of the year 2016. It was also real liking vs dishonored 1.. which i wanted to love.. but just couldn't.

I didn't really click with Billie and i was expecting more from her as the only person of color that seemed to stand out in either of the games. She was placed in the game to stand out and there was no pay off for that in the base game. But, here she has her own game :)

I'm not sure what to expect, but i love the worlds Arkane studios make and the lovingly craft rooms, areas, etc. I'm also looking forward to killing the Outsider... ugh that guy. He should die :)

Anyone else getting it?

My big issue is that Divinity Original Sin 2 is out the day before!!!! Oh man i want to play that.

Update: here is the first mission

mortonan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am! Dishonored 2 was probably my 2016 favorite as well. I haven't really followed any of the info put out about it because it was obviously I was always going to get more Dishonored, so I might as well go in fresh.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm gonna wait on this one a bit. I loved Dishonored 1 and 2, but I'm not feeling a strong pull to play more right now. I'm sure it'll be good though and I'll probably pick it up before the end of the year.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I'm getting it but only because I can get it for £10 from amazon, when it's £20 on steam. Otherwise I would wait. I didn't like the Daud expansion for the first game, I couldn't get in to it for some reason. Hopefully I will like this more.

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By chrispaul92

I'm stoked for it. I love Dishonored and think that Arkane is among the best level designers in the business. Too bad we probably won't get any early word on it because of Bethesda's policy of no review copies.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dishonored 2 was fun to play, but the surrounding elements (lackluster story, which also basically ended identically to the second DLC of the original game, voice acting, whatnot...) were so bad that they kinda killed my interest for touching the game again. But at least in theory those can be fixed in a seperate stand-alone game, so maybe I'll pick this up eventually if the reviews are glowing.

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucks to admit this but Dishonored 2 left an awful taste in my mouth. I enjoyed my time with the first game but there's just something about the sequel that didn't jive with me at all. To me, it feels disjointed and poorly structured.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I am looking forward to it, but I still need to finish D2 first, I think.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also a little bummed that both Dishonored 2 and this are undoing some of my choices in the story.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sure as heck am. I just cannot actually afford to pick it up right now. By which I ain't referring to the monetary cost, but rather the time investment. Too many great time-sinks of games as is, between Yakuza Kiwami, XCOM 2: War of the Chosen and Destiny 2.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am but I'm waiting to pick it up once it drops to $20.. still trying to knock out some backlog

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited, going to get it day one. Love Arkane's games and really enjoyed Dishonored 2.

I'm not even worried about the story, the gameplay and art direction in the games so far have both been amazing.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Dishonored and I can't wait to play this. I'm actually really glad that they have done away with the chaos system for this game. They never gave you cool enough stuff to do for a non lethal run.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dishonored 2 is fucking fantastic, I can't wait for the DLC.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I am, despite having not played Dishonored 2. The world of Dishonored, and the Outsider in particular, is the best thing about that series for me, so you come at me saying "yo let's try to assassinate the Outsider" and i'm so fuckin in.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dishonored 2 was really fun, but I think I burned out on it after I beat it with a ghost, no kill, no powers run.

I'll pick up the DLC when I get the itch to play a good single-player game again.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm very much looking forward to it, though I'm occupied enough with other stuff that I'll probably end up waiting for it to drop to $20 during an inevitable steam sale.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I certainly am but these games cater to a very specific crowd. The first game was great and the second one had even better level design. Similarly I thought Prey was really awesome - but I like stealth games and it seems that not a lot of other people do.

I beat Dishonored 2 with both characters on PS4 and now that I've upgraded my PC I'm excited to get the DLC there and enjoy the crisper graphics. Also I'm really interested to learn more about the Outsider.

The few of us out there need to enjoy these brilliant games while they last. They haven't been selling well and I'm afraid there won't be an Arkane to make another excellent stealth game in the coming future.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to give D2 a try soon. It's cheap and enough people I respect have said they really liked it. I just thought Dishonored 1 was not that fun to play and unsatisfying for different reasons.

Games in the genre are among my favorite (Deus Ex is my favorite) so it'll happen soon.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am very excited for it! I have bought it but likely won't play it at release as I am catching up on some ps4 stuff but I am one of torch bearers for this game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Am actually very curious about the story aspect of this DLC.

Killing or at least trying to kill the Outsider seems like the biggest deal possible in that universe several orders of magnitude more significant then anything in the main games even. Heck I'm super curious just why those two want to kill the Outsider in the first place.

And considering I will not be playing Divinity:OS2 because of UI scaling issues, this just freed up my time quite nicely.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: In an interview the studio lead stated that Billie and Daud see the Outsider as an agent of chaos because of the way he seems to randomly pick someone, bestow the mark on them, and then sit back and see where it goes. This chaos is something they both agree is making the world a worse place and have opted to put an end to it.

What is really interesting is that Billie is equipped with "relics" from previous Outsiders as opposed to having powers bestowed upon her like other supernatural beings in the Dishonored universe.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LeStephan

Still on the fence about it, I really REALLY liked Prey (my goty so far, no contest) but the Dishonored games have always managed to frustrate me like no other. I have even tried going in through the years with a full stealth, half stealth and kill everyone attitude but none of it feels good to me. I love the idea of it all but usually have 0 fun while playing. Im even the kind of guy that loves good stealth, worldbuilding, environmental storytelling, ingame books and what have you. Every part is there to immerse me but somehow it just doesn't happen. Thats also why I eventually keep buying em hahaha, theoretically I should like everything about it.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MillaJ

I really liked Dishonored 2 but just finished it a few months ago, so I'm not as hungry for more as I might be. I'm sure I'll get this eventually assuming it turns out.

@lestephan: I've run into that issue myself. Sometimes cheating makes it better for me, lol. No shame. Cheat engine kicks ass. Sometimes when I'm in a different mindset or mood it might click. And sometimes it just doesn't happen. It sucks.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made use of my Amazon Prime trial and have already pre-ordered it at a discount. I think at this point, I'll play anything by Arkane. They made two of the best games I've played this console generation.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I'm looking forward to it. Despite the lacklustre story and dialogue, Dishonored 2 was my favorite game of 2016. Arkane has some of the best level designers in the business.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lestephan:

I think the way Dishonored games basically limit your freedom of action by tying it to the story thoroughly is a really bad design decision that has hampered the series for some people all along.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Humanity

@lestephan:

I think the way Dishonored games basically limit your freedom of action by tying it to the story thoroughly is a really bad design decision that has hampered the series for some people all along.

Whats great about Death of the Outsider is that they've done away with the chaos system and even mana flasks (putting your powers on a cooldown instead) in order to let people just enjoy the full breadth of abilities at your finger tips without anything holding you back. It's like they listened to people complain that they rarely use powers because they don't want to use up the blue elixir stuff or that they're always tempted to use lethal powers but the story punishes you for it so they don't - and they made it so you don't have to worry about any of that.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@humanity: ah that is very interesting to me. I do appreciate the idea in theory but I don't like mechanics intersecting in that way when the genre is so much about freedom. Not much should be limited in my opinion (much more than say non-lethal and lethal in Deus Ex) and the story choices should be separate.

I like how that sounds a lot. If this turns out to be real good I might just jump into this one.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

You know, I wish standalone expansions like this would automatically import your settings.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @artisanbreads said:

@lestephan:

Whats great about Death of the Outsider is that they've done away with the chaos system and even mana flasks (putting your powers on a cooldown instead) in order to let people just enjoy the full breadth of abilities at your finger tips without anything holding you back. It's like they listened to people complain that they rarely use powers because they don't want to use up the blue elixir stuff or that they're always tempted to use lethal powers but the story punishes you for it so they don't - and they made it so you don't have to worry about any of that.

I'm curious how long the cooldowns are. I'd rather use the elixirs if the cooldowns makes it impossible to use the same abilities in quick succession.
    It's not like I ever ran out of juice in those games anyway.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fnrslvr

I'm probably in.

I'm not sure I care that much about the story. What bothered me about Dishonored 2 was that the plot ended up being about Delilah doing mystical void ritual stuff to return and make a horcrux, which isn't really interesting, and seeking to kill the Outsider could just look like more of that. The Outsider and void stuff seem to work better as enablers for a political intrigue and backstabbing plot a la Dishonored 1. As such, I haven't been on the hype train for this game.

But on the other hand, Dishonored 2 might've been my GOTY last year, on gameplay and worldbuilding grounds alone. They could drop every pretense of telling a story as long as they deliver more of those things, and I'd still be on-board.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game is pretty good so far. :)

What is odd is SLI doesn't work even though it is pretty much Dishonored 2. The fix was easy, add it to the Dishonored 2 profile.

If anyone need helps doing that with nvidiaInspectori'd happy to help, but if you do SLI you most likely already know how to do this :)

(i added the first mission to the first post.. yes, that is me playing badly :) )

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Tennmuerti

I've played through the first big mission past the intro one, got to the second one.

And honestly I have just bounced off of it, hard. I have no desire to play it anymore.

I don't like the intro to the story, it just goes "I want to kill the Outsider, but you do it all for me" "why?" "because he is bad" "why is he bad?" "he creates chaos by giving his powers to not just good people but potentially bad ones too" "ok!" .... wow, just wow. Even the main character admits she has no reason yet to do it it and is just flowing along with the current like shit in a stream.

Maybe there is a good payoff later, but right now I could not give less of a fuck. And this was as someone who came in super excited to find out about this whole premise of killing the Outsider.

I don't like the new powers. They feel like super unnecessary twists on powers you already know, but making them more awkward in general. I don't like how limited your selection of them is and how they took away so much of the ultra cool shit you could do in the main game. The fact that there is no traditional leveling progression path just takes away yet another carrot on a stick, that made Dishonored more bearable in the first place.

And then the final nail in the coffin, getting to the second big main mission, no new powers, and you literally start in the same zone, just get to go further into it. In what would have previously been just one big level. Great.

Dishonored series always teetered on the edge for me in terms of enjoyment, being just slightly on the side of me liking it, and this feels like it took that little step in the meh direction. Eventually I just went back to my second Xcom2 expansion playthrough with a side of Divinity:OS2. Playing this DLC just made me think of how much better Prey executed on the formula. No idea when I will pick this dlc back up. For now It's going in the freezer.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: yah I loved Dishonored 2 and played through it twice back to back, but I also didn't enjoy this DLC all that much despite really wanting to.

The powers aren't all that great and you don't get a lot of them. The maps are somehow inferior to the main game and the story is really skeletal at best. I was really surprised to see so little actual info being divulged. At one point I realized that I mainly knew what was going on because I watched a lot of developer diaries.

The changes to the mechanics work out well and t's still a good sneaking game because Dishonored is inherently good, but it's the weakest entry in the series.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArtisanBreads

That's too bad. Ditching the Chaos tie in is a huge boost to the game for me but if the rest doesn't hold up, they kind of fucked up the foundation.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By militantfreudian

I finished this today, and while it didn't quite meet my expectations, I can't say I didn't enjoy it. It just feels somewhat shallow when compared to the base game. It's not really an issue of lack of content, because Death of the Outsider is fairly lengthy. It's just that the levels aren't nearly as dense or aesthetically memorable as the levels in Dishonored 2 specifically. The main objective in missions is often straightforward and not very involved, the exception to which is of course, the bank job. I thought in lieu of the chaos system, your actions would have more pronounced consequences, but sadly that was not the case. It's also disappointing that the story is the equivalent of a clickbait.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.