Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Brads Review gets mentioned in /NoClip

Avatar image for deactivated-629fdfa1dbf9a
    deactivated-629fdfa1dbf9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey Guys,

Totalled fan girled out that in Danny O'Dwyers /NoClip documentary about how the new Doom game, came from the brink of death to being what it became, one of the game directors (Hugo Martin) references how Giantbomb totally got the idea of how obsturb the self awareness was and how that was amazing (referenceing the opening scene where the armour is worshipped)

So just wanted to through out a congrats to Brad for his written review and to all the other gushing the guys have giving this game as it obsolutely deserves it!!!

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still relevant.

Loading Video...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's a fantastic video, you should embed it up there.

alphasquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By alphasquid
    Loading Video...

Here's the video if anyone's interested. (Edit: Whoops wrong video. It's fixed now.)

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the relevant passage from Brad's Review that Hugo Martin liked:

Improbably, the one way this game both breaks from and elevates its predecessors is through its storytelling. If you'd told me prior to release that a new Doom game would have a plot at all, let alone one I'd become weirdly invested in, I'd have laughed in your face. After I'd played Doom, I was laughing for different reasons. This game hilariously, wordlessly sets itself up as a direct sequel to Doom II when, in the very first scene, your marine wakes up on an inscribed stone slab and finds his vaunted green armor enshrined in glyphs and candles. Yes, this game takes the original irrelevant video game protagonist, a nameless nobody so generic he's only ever been referred to as "Doomguy," and reimagines him as nothing less than a divine avenger so unstoppable that over the course of two games he left a Biblical mythology in his wake. It's so deliciously absurd I can't believe someone thought it up, let alone had the guts to make it the through line of a big-budget shooter from a major publisher.

And yet things just get crazier from there. The whole thing is set on a Mars that's become a galactic power plant by way of siphoning "Argent plasma" through a portal to the demon realm. Yes, mankind solved its ongoing energy problems by... fracking Hell. The game doesn't dwell on this point, but rather takes it in stride as it cynically explores the office politics of harnessing the devil for shareholder gain. I encourage you to check out every data log you can get your hands on, so you can read the employee handbook's guide to a level 3 demon contamination event ("Simply close your eyes, kneel down, and wait. Remember you can be as useful in death as you are in life.") or ludicrous corporate memoranda about the "project to weaponize the demons." An ever-present company hologram man hangs around to provide some great rah-rah corporate cheerleading. ("The road to Hell is paved with... Argent energy!") There's a lot of darkly comedic stuff in here, and it's all somehow gloriously stupid and extremely smart at the same time. Whoever wrote this game deserves a medal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 I posted this in bed on my phone otherwise I would of ?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not just the review, I got the sense that Hugo Martin was actually more of a bombcast fan. I thought he was more referencing the podcast where they all gushed over Doom and they all praised the story.

Hopefully Danny sets some stuff up with him, it'd be great to have that dude pop up in a video or a podcast. He seems like a great guy, dude even designed the jaegers from Pacific Rim!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I need to get back to this game. The holiday sales provided too many great deals for me, and as a result I fell off this game when I ended up purchasing Hitman. But, now that I've thoroughly explored Paris and the training missions in Hitman, I will go back and finish Doom.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this makes me wish that there would be a second generation of id personalities arising. is there anyone else that's a big deal besides hugo? i feel like they're due their time in the spotlight.

now all one of them needs to do is buy a ferrari and be sort of a douche.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I must say: some damn good quality from o'Dwyer. Looks very pro and he even got some never seen before footage from 'Doom 4' and developer test footage from Doom.

Can't wait for him to pay Hello Games a visit :p

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely fantastic documentary series. Would expect nothing less from Danny.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This documentary actually finally got me to take the plunge and buy Doom. There is just something incredible endearing and refreshing about the way they are openly and honestly talking about their game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: i kinda felt sorry for the old guard guy who was the lead on doom 4 1.0 He seemed kinda bummed about how is project was rejected :(

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Hugo Martin seems like a guy that really "gets it" like he understands that games are about having fun. Seems like a really cool guy.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By ShaggE

@zeushbien said:

This documentary actually finally got me to take the plunge and buy Doom. There is just something incredible endearing and refreshing about the way they are openly and honestly talking about their game.

That's one thing I love about id. They've always had a close relationship with their fanbase, and they even admit to their missteps now and then. A lot of studios come off like everything they put out is perfection.

Seems like they've never fully let go of that 90s mentality.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Truly great documentary. Hope it does well for Danny!

I really gotta get around to playing this thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.