Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

I'm at my limit with this buggy train room (minor spoilers)

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

So I'm at the "VEGA central processing" level and it's going pretty good so far. Just beat a room full of baddies, hopped on top of a train and was told by VEGA to clear out the room of baddies where the train stopped. For me this room has been the most buggy, claustrophobic, and frustrating part of the game I have come across. Climbing ledges only sometimes works, they throw a lot of demons at you with very little room to move around (so half the time you fall off or get pinned into a corner and die), it'll usually spawn bunches of barons of hell, mancubi, revenants, pinkies, and summoners all at the same time. I once beat the room but while searching for the praetor suit point I fell off a ledge onto an incline which I got permanently stuck to, had to reload from checkpoint wouldn't you know it was before the train room.

Sorry, just needed to vent.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By atomicoldman

Now is a great time to whip out the BFG. Even better if you have the rune equipped that causes enemies to occasionally drop BFG ammo. That thing will make the room almost trivial.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomicoldman: holy cow! there's a rune for that?! thanks I'll try to take advantage of the BFG more tomorrow (it's night where I am).

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@katpottz: i think that's a perk after one of the runes has been upgraded

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah that was definitely a point where I used the BFG a lot. Does wonders for murder it turns out.

Dunno about buggy? I didn't know anything in particular. Platforming always felt smooth to me through the entire game.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@katpottz: The extra ammo drop rune upgraded does that. It makes the end game kindaaaaa easy, even on nightmare.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: that's interesting, what platform are you playing it on? (might be platform specific?)

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That train room is the same part I'm stuck on. I played from the beginning of the game up to that point in a single session, and ended up effectively rage-quitting at VEGA Central Processing. I'm glad it isn't just me struggling with that part.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TobbRobb

@katpottz: PC

Though I will say I might just have been more well tuned than most to what was jumpable and what wasn't. I have yet to see an example of an actual jump/broken platform or something, just heard rumors that stuff like that happens.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jorbit

I was stuck there for a while.

I believe that room has 2 BFG ammo lying around (one up top on the left and one down below). I would honestly just blow through all of that ammo if that area is still giving you trouble. I had a really hard time navigating around in that place.

Also don't be afraid to drop down to the lower level if you're getting overwhelmed on the top, and vice-versa.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't call that "buggy" when you're dying to legit game mechanics. It's just a really challenging room.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I had trouble with the room... After that? I think? The part where theres a central pillar that turns into an elevator covered by shields. One of the barons glitched into the elevator while it was still shielded, and neither of us could hit the other with anything. Had to restart, which sucked because that was one the rooms I kept dying in.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tehpickle:This particular room really points out the poor level readability this Doom has compared to the original.

@tobbrobb:Playing on PS4. This room has actually been the only instance of it happening to me, it's been fine for most of the game but it happens almost consistently in this room. The animation will play out but your character won't move onto the platform, so you stand in midair for less then a second then you fall.

@rich666:It's the challenge of the room compounded by the bugs that have been screwing me over.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

This was the only part of the game that gave me significant trouble. It probably took me a good 15 to 20 tries across two sessions to beat this room. I definitely found this to be the hardest encounter in the game, for sure. I played on Ultra-Violence on PS4, too, for reference.

The only thing that I could think of that's "buggy" about it was that I would get caught on some of the railings on the platforms when I tried to jump over them, which accounted for several of my failures. Aside from that, I think this room is just meant to be really fucking hard. It is right before the end of the game, after all.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_: the railing/ledges is the big one but I've also encountered armor that you cannot pickup (when not at max armor of course) and enemies that can fire through walls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.