Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Can DOTA 2 be played casually?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I would at least give it a try if it didn't seem like such a time sink. After the learning hump, can it be played casually? By which I mean a few games a week?

Avatar image for deactivated-62fae2132a6ff
    deactivated-62fae2132a6ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yes, easily.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Joeyoe31

A few games a week? Of course.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

of course you can, you just probably won't get very good at it. But they do a fairly good job of matching you with other players of your approximate skill.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I play it casually. Why not?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi

You could always dabble with offline bot matches.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

After the learning hump absolutely. But if you expect to play casually while learning, you will be bad for quite a while. We are talking at least 100-200 games before you really know most of the ins and outs.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it takes a while to learn but you can learn at a casual pace and then play casually thereafter. That's what I do.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing nothing but one or two bot matches/day to learn the game. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible to play like a game/day and enjoy it. Now, if you want to get good at the game (from my limited understanding), that takes a more significant time investment.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

After you get to the point where you have about 200-300 games (maybe less or more depending on the person) you will get to the point where you understand the mechanics and the only real way you will get much better at the game is by playing a shit ton and having a consistent group.

That's where I've been for a while and I can pretty much go into any public match and dominate. It's not that I'm good at the game, but when you only play with a bunch of random people it's hard to advance beyond a certain skill level. So, I could pretty much play a game every other day and still have fun and be good, but for me it's not fun unless I'm improving so I pretty much stopped playing it because I didn't have a group.

So the answer is Yes, if you like not getting better and playing hour long games a lot.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah you can easily play this game casually and have fun. It'll be even better if you can find a group of buddies who are also noobs and are willing to group up and play casually for fun. You guys aren't going to be semi-pro level or anything, but there are people I get matched with who have 1000 games and still have no idea what they're doing, you'll be completely fine.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, of course. It's not like Valve points a gun at your head and forces you to keep playing...

heyavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, try to group up with some buddies or go in the Giantbomb chat in the client and ask if anyone wants to play casual. There are tons of people in there willing to join up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.