Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Help a noob

CaptainTryHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CaptainTryHard

Would anyone who knows their way around Dota be willing to help me get better? I used to play a little bit of LoL so I'm not entirely new to the scene. If anyone's interested add me on steam, Duder. It'll be a picture of Kit Fisto. Thanks!

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CheapPoison

Shouldn't be too hard to find some people.

There might be some willing people in giant bomb dota 2 steam group.

Or hit me up on steam, not sure what i'd tell you. I am not great but i know my way around the game.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Rayeth

Some quick tips for a LoL player transitioning over:

1. Do not ever call the heroes "champions". It sounds dumb but some people will get really mad at you for it and in a team game you don't need your team getting mad right off the bat.
    2. Dying will cause you to lose money as well as giving the other team money and experience! If you are quick you can spend your money right before you die to eliminate some of this (if you have enough to buy what you want that is...), or you can simply not die. Either way works =)
    3. Denying creeps (killing your own creeps and even allied heroes when they are low) can be fun and is useful, but it is never more important than last hitting. Gotta get that money!
    4. If you are playing a support role (heroes such as Vengeful Spirit, Earthshaker, Crystal Maiden among others typically do this), the best warding locations are shown on the map with a little eye symbol on the ground. Usually these are along the river and on the high ground in each forest. Observer Wards in these places WILL win your team games. No one will thank you for it, but wards are often the key to victory.

GL HF Duders. Don't be intimidated by the Dota community, keep playing and you will be on monster killing sprees in no time.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

Read this. Don't let the title fool you, it's a very good beginner's guide (Dota beginner, not MOBA beginner. Even though you've played League, Dota is pretty different). Ultimately, it comes down to knowing what all the heroes do and knowing what items to build to counter them, of course, so the best help you can do for yourself after reading that guide is to jump over to the Dota 2 wiki and start reading about heroes and items.

Midjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Midjet

Add me on steam under the username 'joneering' and I'll give you a hand with as much as I can.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By jozzy

I recently started playing LoL, and I find that game intimidating enough. So intimidating in fact that I actually have to overcome a little anxiety before starting a game with real people instead of bots, and if I feel even slightly tired I just don't bother. If I have been playing in the evening I have trouble sleeping.

I don't think Dota 2 will be for me...

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By indiefinch

@jozzy said:

I recently started playing LoL, and I find that game intimidating enough. So intimidating in fact that I actually have to overcome a little anxiety before starting a game with real people instead of bots, and if I feel even slightly tired I just don't bother. If I have been playing in the evening I have trouble sleeping.

It is still worth a try. Dota 2 just has the feeling of something hand crafted and made with love for the past decade. Then on top of that you have Valve adding in all the features like the voice work / the in game items...it is just a well rounded game. After a few games of Dota you will see that LoL is a cake walk...it is the tee-ball / flag football of the genre. If you try a few games and still feel anxiety, then maybe this genre isn't your cup of tea...there are enough other stressful things in life and gaming doesn't need to become one of them lol.

Make sure you join the Giantbomb chat channel in game, I am always down to teach new players and help out. I will be always in there or in the DotaInsight chat channel (podcast I do) so if you want to track me down...look at those two places. There are tons and tons of resources out there, so I wont bother repeating those. But one of the big things I like to tell people is that playing Dota is a marathon, not a race. You will suck for a very long time, however you will then hit a point where it all makes sense. I have over 800 hours in Dota 2, I watch pretty much every pro tournament, and I do a Dota Podcast...and last night I learned something I just never thought about before (Batrider's Ult go through a BKB...). So don't expect to "get it" within a short amount of time, enjoy the ride and fully dive in.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Play a match in between watching tutorials and in each match try to practice a technique that you have just learned. Subscribe to DotaCinema and Purge Gaming on youtube, they have the most informative videos.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jozzy

@IndieFinch said:

@jozzy said:

It is still worth a try. Dota 2 just has the feeling of something hand crafted and made with love for the past decade. Then on top of that you have Valve adding in all the features like the voice work / the in game items...it is just a well rounded game. After a few games of Dota you will see that LoL is a cake walk...it is the tee-ball / flag football of the genre. If you try a few games and still feel anxiety, then maybe this genre isn't your cup of tea...there are enough other stressful things in life and gaming doesn't need to become one of them lol.

Make sure you join the Giantbomb chat channel in game, I am always down to teach new players and help out. I will be always in there or in the DotaInsight chat channel (podcast I do) so if you want to track me down...look at those two places. There are tons and tons of resources out there, so I wont bother repeating those. But one of the big things I like to tell people is that playing Dota is a marathon, not a race. You will suck for a very long time, however you will then hit a point where it all makes sense. I have over 800 hours in Dota 2, I watch pretty much every pro tournament, and I do a Dota Podcast...and last night I learned something I just never thought about before (Batrider's Ult go through a BKB...). So don't expect to "get it" within a short amount of time, enjoy the ride and fully dive in.

Yeah, that all makes sense. It's just my personality that knows that there is a lot to these games and I want to understand everything right away. Since I started playing (still taking about LoL) I've been reading up a lot on it and it just makes me feel overwhelmed. And then when I play with the other low level guys I actually know a lot more about it then they do and do very well. I probably should stop researching and just play and experience it myself and learn as I go like those other people do, it's probably more fun that way.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By supamon

@jozzy: That's good actually. Knowing which hero does what to whom is essential to winning games. Of course nothing beats experience since that will tell you what other heroes will probably be doing and getting what items. Don't get too anxious about it though, I get why you'll feel that way since it sometimes feels like I'm focusing all 100% of my concentration when I'm playing. In the end it's just a game and you're playing it to have fun so keep that in mind before you lose any more sleep.

@IndieFinch: Lol tell me about it, I was surprised to find out BH's track goes through BKB as well.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By indiefinch

@jozzy: The best thing to do, in my opinion at least, is to read enough to just get the gist of what is out there. Then take the dive and play games over and over to learn it. Be it LoL or Dota 2, either would work. I am obviously very biased as would say that it is better to start with Dota because you will learn more...then could always fall back to LoL if you find that you don't enjoy Dota. Where as if you try LoL, begin to like it and then want to try Dota, you have to learn so much more stuff that it becomes almost like learning all over again. Or if you don't like reading, msg me on steam / PM me and I can show you around Dota and talk you through stuff.

For Dota, this is the best guide to start with - http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jozzy

Thanks for the tips guys, I am very seriously considering picking Dota 2 up as it sounds really cool, I already downloaded the client and might splurge on paying for the beta access. First I have a short holiday coming up end of the week and before that I have a ton of work to do so this would be the worst time to jump in, even though I am tempted. :)

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By indiefinch

@jozzy said:

Thanks for the tips guys, I am very seriously considering picking Dota 2 up as it sounds really cool, I already downloaded the client and might splurge on paying for the beta access. First I have a short holiday coming up end of the week and before that I have a ton of work to do so this would be the worst time to jump in, even though I am tempted. :)

Just watch a few matches this coming week of the International 2 (1$ prize tournament). Games start Monday, the actual tournament bracket and everything starts Friday the 31st. After watching a few of those games you will be itching to play ^^

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jack268

quick guide to winning 

1. get battle fury 
     2. spend at least 30 minutes killing jungle creeps, ignore any other fighting 
    3. come out at 40-60 minutes in with 400+ CS and win the game

EleFlameMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EleFlameMax

would b...

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By jorbear

Play Venomancer and draw penises with your wards. Worked for me.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@jorbear said:

Play Venomancer and draw penises with your wards. Worked for me.

In addition to this make sure to draw penises on the map.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Terramagi

Here's what I did.

Play Tiny at first.

Max out your first two skills first.

Q then W.

Is your team bad?

If they are, the game is over. If they aren't, you probably have enough gold for the scepter. Buy it, and hit people with a tree.

venessaliu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By venessaliu

@Rayeth:

en, good for me to learn.

hecticdinhhz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hecticdinhhz

1. try to deny and finish blow to gain experience over the other players

2. farm the most you can get during the game

mast3rmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mast3rmind

add me, i pmed u

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.