Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

I made an item for dota 2!

tinautomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

In my spare time (read: lunch hours during work), I started modelling and texturing away at an item for dota 2. I'm not really great at either or these things (I'm a programmer, so I'm as artistic as a rock), so I'd like some feedback, if you'd be willing to help me. Here's the page link.

And here's some art/screenshots:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I really like this item! I initially thought it was a little plain but on the in game shots it looks pretty good. Maybe it could be a bit wider to fit a bit more detail on it?

Good stuff though!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah the picture of it looks kinda bland and boring, but on the in-game screenshot it looks pretty good.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd love to hear more details on how you did this. What tools did you use? Did you start with another weapon and modify it? Have you tried to submit it? If so what are your thoughts on the process?

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it! Great work.

Nubikal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nubikal

I'd suggest adding a bit more colour variation, even if just a simple and subtle gradient over the top as it's looking a little flat, you could also darken the runic symbols a bit to have them stand out when the light isn't reflecting off the rest (unless this is what you were going for). This is something I'd struggled with on the two dota weapons I've made so far, especially since, like you, they have a fairly narrow blade. Also is the white specular intentional? If not, I'd suggest adjusting mask 2's blue channel (tint spec by colour) and making it brighter for the blade area. I'd also try to make the guard's silhouette a bit more interesting.

Apologies if this comes across as jacking your thread, but I could also do with some feedback on my own recent submission, which is tanking hard compared to the other two2 items I did a few months ago.

No Caption Provided

tinautomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Maybe I could put some wear and tear on the blade, and exaggerate some of the proportions (like the curve, etc.). I'll also take a look at the hilt.

@extomar I just researched some Chinese/middle easter weaponry, and went from there. For the graphic design, I tried to incorporate a little bit of Juggernaut's backstory into it, as well as look at the designs he has on him (his mask, bracers, the back of his pants etc.). For the modelling I used Blender, and I then used Photoshop to create the textures. The workflow was a little daunting at first (especially dealing with creating maks1 and 2), but after reading the techinical requirements page and official valve texturing guides, the problem became a lot more approachable.

@nubikal Thanks! I initially did have a gradient for the design, but didn't like the way it looked. I'll go back and try and mess with that. I wanted a subtle specular highlight across the orange secftion, because I have a self-illumination mask running across the red part, and I wanted the two to sorta pop visually. Also, I was totally confused by M2 blue channel -- I don't think I used that channel at all. I think I get how it could be useful now though. I really like your submission though man -- especially the water effect on it. The pommel and the hilt look really good, as does the blade, but maybe the water effect is overpowering the shape of the blade? Other than that, I would totally buy that item.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

You guys made swords. That's pretty cool.

Nubikal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tinautomaton: Thanks, I'll try playing around with the file for the water effect. Kind of hard to get the balance right when it's just controlled by spacing out vertices along the blade area.

Imst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shining sword for juggernut is super cool...hahaha but there were lots of items that were released just for juggernut so its not that decent anymore

sixnahalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nice creation amigo muy bueno construccion de espada para character juggernaut :D

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TobbRobb

It kind of looks like a Wind Waker sword! Sticks out in the game a little bit, but I like it anyways. :D

Opus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Opus

I share the same sentiment as Deo. When i saw the first image I thought "I'm not going to break this guy's heart, let me hit 'back'". But in-game it looks really good! The glow really sells it, it turns the orange into white, which is a far better complimentary color, have you tried other color schemes for the secondary color on the blade? It's very nice as is though.

I'm not very fond of juggernaut, but I'd totally buy that sword to give it to a friend that is.

Imst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@opus: Can you give it to me??hehehe...

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The textures look a bit flat, I think they could use some work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.