Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

Let's talk Blackwall (spoilers)

FinalForm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FinalForm

Am I the only one that absolutely loved the Blackwall reveal?

I already liked his character well enough, a little cliche, with the whole chivalrous knight thing, but I found him likable and it was cool that to have a Grey Warden running around with the inquisition, until it was revealed that he'd been lying the whole time. He was never a Warden and he was pretty much a war criminal.

I remember thinking back to what the nightmare aspect had said to him in the fade "Ah, Blackwall. There's nothing like a Grey Warden, and you are nothing like a Grey Warden."... in context that line was really awesome.

There have been a few parts in this game that I absolutely loved that others have hated (the super cheesy musical number before you get to Skyhold.), so maybe this is another thing I'm alone on, but that whole thing was, at least to me, really out of left field. Who doesn't love a good redemption story?

Blackwall's really freaking rad. Maybe one day he can become a real Warden.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Can you let him die? It didn't seem to me like it gave you the option to let him be executed. It seemed like you could only get him released to you so you had to decide. I wanted to let him hang. But I was not presented with the option. Not because I didn't like him, but because it felt like the just thing to do. To have him pay for this crimes in the manner the law judged him.

FinalForm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine if you just left him in jail he would have died.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Whoa what monsters hate the musical number before Skyhold? That moment is so good. As for Blackwall, I kind of suspected something was up when I talked to him at the base and he was really hesitant to talk about or mention the Joining. I was willing to write it off by assuming "Yeah it was probably a pretty harrowing experience if the Joining from Origins is anything to go by."

And then the reveal happened and I was all "Oh. No wonder he didn't know shit about the Joining. That's kind of subtle and clever."

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By benspyda

I think Blackwalls tombstone in the fade said his worst fear was himself. There definitely is some clever attention to detail in the game.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Let him rot" I believe my character said to Cullen when I left him in jail. He deserved it.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I didn't catch it the first time around, but there was something off about him. Looking back, there were little tidbits throughout your interaction with him, so you had the chance to pick it up.

I genuinely felt betrayed when it was revealed. I really liked him, and took him with me pretty much everywhere. I got him released to the Inquisition, but only because I wanted to have him executed myself. I was a little disappointed when I realised I couldn't. Great twist, though.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Blackwall, but literally the first time I spoke to him I knew he wasn't a warden.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I thought it was pretty cool. There were also a number of other subtle hints throughout the game as well to suggest it. It also explains why his early on collection quest is gathering grey warden artifacts... he needs them not only to feel like he is doing "good deeds" by finding them again but also so he can study and learn more about the wardens so he could pull it off. The game also makes a point of telling you how he is the only warden who can resist corypheous at a couple points in the adamant mission. When pressed about it he isn't exactly forthcoming as to why he can either. I always figured his shaky hazy details on warden stuff was him just trying to "keep warden secrets". Heh.

It was a well played reveal and makes him a far better character for it.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before the reveal, he was a descent if tired trope of a good noble warrior without that much else too him. He was solid but he wasn't anything particularly special.

The reveal was really great given all the subtle clues that they lead through the game, and it makes him a much more interesting character and puts a lot of context on some of the things he talked about in conversations ,especially the early ones where he talks a lot about criminals joining the Wardens to atone for their mistakes. It's also a credit to how well he hid it, that even the Gray Wardens bought it and deferred to him at Adamant.

In the end I choose to give him a second chance. I'm angry he lied to me, but because he's been one of my main party members for most of the game, and all the good stuff he's done during that time was at least worth something.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_: I think we noticed the same thing, but I wrote it off as the game trying to give a new perspective on the Wardens. I has no idea how right I'd be. :)

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I did like the reveal a lot, I'm just sad they didn't do much with it after it was done ... they didn't even change his name if you keep him, it was just like "Yeah, keep calling me Blackwall" ... but the reveal itself and the hints towards it were great (the only time I thought something was wrong was when he wasn't effected by the calling ... funny enough: I brushed it off as lazy writing)

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Draugen

@2headedninja: He said something about repressing it, or letting it make him stronger, or some garbage like that. And I bought it like a chump. :)

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really liked Blackwall, and the reveal toward the end of his quest chain bummed me out. Another poster said it best; it felt like a genuine betrayal. It sucked a lot. I didn't leave him to die, however. I told him that if he really wanted redemption, then he'd have to earn it. It's a bitch move to let yourself get hung when you know there's something vital and important you could be doing to, you know, "save the fucking world".

The only thing I disliked about the Blackwall story is that after that it kind of just ends. There's no real coda to it. Just a "well, you know now, I guess" and that's it. Really wish they had done something a little extra.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, I loved the reveal as well. I had actually started suspecting that he wasn't really a Grey Warden a dozen or so hours prior to the reveal when he seemingly didn't have any clue why Grey Wardens are needed to kill archdemons (something anyone that has played the first game knows the answer to), but obviously I didn't know the whole extent of the truth because how could I.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Do you actually get this reveal if you're not in a relationship with Blackwall? This quest only started for me after him and the inquisitor made the beast with two backs.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@getz: No you do not need to romance him. You just have to be his friend. As in his tarot card changes to the friend one. Meaning you have done all his cut scenes and his prior mission and he has a high approval rating of you. It also comes pretty late in the game if I remember correctly. Pretty close to the end.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.