Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Am I too late to the party?

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By PieGuy

I've never played Dragon Age Origin. On amazon there is the 'ultimate edition' at decent value which includes all of the DLC. I am however concerned about the negative things I've heard about the sequel so is it worth me involving myself in this franchise if it goes down hill. I'm not worried about the game not being visually impressive as in an RPG looks aren't a priority for me but an added bonus.

I will be getting this for the PS3 if I do buy it.

Thanks in advance for any help you provide.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

Although the second one isn't as good, Origins has so much good stuff in it that it is totally worth it.

The fact that DA2 barely follows on the story means that you aren't missing out if you avoid the sequel.

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By countinhallways

Origins is a fantastic game. You owe it to yourself to check it out, irrespective of whether or not you intend to play the sequel. Personally, I think you would be better off playing through Origins a couple of times, as different classes/races, than playing the sequel. 

Either way, yeah, this game is great. Including all the DLC it could easily last you 100 hours plus. Don't let negative talk of DA2 cause you to miss out on this gem.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By beforet

Of course not! Origins is still an excellent game. I would recommend you purchase it on PC if you can run it.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

You dont need to worry about the franchise. Dragon Age Origins stands alone well as a solid fantasy RPG that has a lot of content. The world and story are fully fleshed out, if you dont want to play the sequel then you dont have to. PS3 version isn't great from what I heard though.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Just go and get Origins, you won't regret it duder! 
    As for the sequel, it's actually a very good game, but it's not a worthy successor to Origins.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Origins is great. Preferably you should play it on PC. The sequel is a good game, but it just should've been called something else.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Play it dude. One of my all time favorites.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TobbRobb

Origins is awesome, and barely related to the second. Getz it. PS3 version is good, but PC is better if you have the hardware.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Completely agree with @CrossTheAtlantic here, Dragon Age 2 felt much more like a spin-off than a proper sequal. An interesting spin-off to be sure, but ultimately an inferior one. Though I'm very optimistic about Dragon Age 3, as a lot of the choices in Dragon Age 2 proved pretty brave; and honestly, DA 2 would have been a great game if more time had gone into story and level design, not the fundamental game-play decisions. So I'd say there's a lot of hope for the franchise.

However, even if the third game would completely botch, it won't change the fact that Origins is the best Bioware game since Baldur's Gate 2. Great story, and the best characters you've seen in the last decade of gaming. Though you really, really should get the game for the PC, simply due to the amount of fantastic mods that exist for the game. They improve the experience from a superb one to a near-perfect one. This site herehas terrabytes of content for Origins, including fully-voiced companions, dungeons, long-running quests, and what is essentially mega-texture packs. Heck, most of it is better than the official DLC for the game (with the exception of Shale, love that "stoned" bugger.)

@PieGuy: The question you need to ask yourself in the end is.. Have you ever.. Licked a lamp post.. In wintah'?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Great game.

And if there's any moment where you think this game is old, ugly or boring, slap yourself in the face and continue.
    Its one of the best games ever and the only thing that can ruin it is your own spoiledness with other games.

So yeah, go get it, enjoy it.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Aronman789

Solid game, big chunks of the story and setting are ripped straight out of the SOIAF books, but still a solid game.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By UlquioKani

Dragon Age 2 is still a good game. Origins is a great game and it doesn't matter if the sequel is not as good but I recommend both highly. They both do alot of different things right. I probably prefer DA2 because of its story telling compared to the first but the first is probably a better RPG in terms of gameplay and mechanics. 

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PieGuy

Thanks for the multitude of answers. I was half expecting the question to be ignored.

I want to play it on PC but I'm about to start university and I can't spare the funds or the time to justify buying one at this time. I am fully intending to convert to being a PC gamer though in the future, reason being I enjoy many games that are clearly better on PC such as The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Battlefield.

Guess I shall be buying it right now. Pity it is start of a weekend so it won't be until Monday.
    Any suggestions on race/class/gender etc. or general tips for a newcomer would be much appreciated.
    I've noticed a thread on the order to play DLC so I shall check that out.

TearsInRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TearsInRain

Origins is a must have.  I personally like the second one as well and recommend both, but at the very least play Origins!

Avatar image for deathmachine117
    Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Deathmachine117

Origins is amazing its because of that I will still buy the apparently bad sequel eventually. 

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By applet0n
    @PieGuy: As someone who was in precisely the same situation as you are right now, I would recommend picking it up.
    Despite my initial misgivings when I considered purchasing the DA:O ultimate edition, I have come to realise that it was the most value-packed copy of any game that I have ever purchased. DA:O is now one of my favourite games of all time, and I hope you come to a similar, if not identical conclusion.
    PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PieGuy
    @applet0n: Thanks very much, always good to hear advice of someone who has experienced a similar situation.

EDIT: Just an update. I've bought the game, however it is estimated to come between the 11th and the 15th which sucks. Until then I shall be researching which class and race I should be. I'm led to believe you can only be human in Dragon Age 2, does that mean your character and decisions do not carry over?
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

Origins is one of the best RPG's you can find, and one of my own personal favourites of the entire last decade. DA2 is... OK. It was a fucking awful sequel, and doesn't deserve to share the same brand name, but it's not necessarily a bad game. It's got some great writing, and your party members are the highlight of the whole affair that may just be worth the monotonous pacing, muddled story and repetitive environments. 

Origins is a must buy, while DA2 is a maybe rent. 

@PieGuy:  
    Your choices carry over, though they have very little bearing on DA2 besides a quick nod to your choices, or an extra inconsequential side quest ect. DA2 overall has very little to do with Origins minus the World it's set in.

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PieGuy
    @Abyssfull: Thanks for clearing it up. If I do get to really liking this game it will be a great shame that the experience is not enhanced by the sequel. Sounds like the game is extremely long without all of the DLC though so this will tide me over until Skyrim. I'll probably pick up DA2 if an ultimate edition comes out at a good bargain again at a later date.
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@PieGuy: Glad to see you decided to get this wonderful game, mate. But before you go rushing off to buy DA 2 afterwards, there's Dragon Age: Awakenings to be had, the full-fledged expansion to Origins. I recently played through it (for the third time, sigh..) and while it doesn't stack up quite as well as Origins, it's still heaps better than DA 2, besides: depending on the choices you make in Origins, the world in "Awakening" actually comes across as drastically different.

As for race/class, I'd really just recommend you go with what you enjoy playing as. You'll meet so many companions (Edit: not campaigns, bah) that will fill every role you could possibly hope for in your party, so I'd say just go with the kind of character that you'd rather be, after all, you can control all your party members. Race/background/class, as well as the choices you make have pretty dire consequences, so think carefully whether you want to be a human noble from a powerful family, respected and feared alike, or a rape-victim from the poor slums with racial issues (I shit you not.) It makes for great roleplaying, as the different heritages opens up new options for your character. An elf can deal with things in a way a dwaf can't, and vica versa. Personally, I went for a big-ass human from a big-ass noble family with a big-ass two-handed sword with a big-ass bad-ass attitude my first play-through, but just go for what you like best. (Dwarf Noble line is pretty awesome, though.)

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PieGuy
    @Do_The_Manta_Ray: The Awakening expansion is included in the version I am buying so this game is going to last me a while. Is there some sort of karma meter in the game, I have troubles with those as I feel I can't make the choices I want in certain situation as I feel obliged to continue on the holier than thou or satan himself route. It's a major problem for me in ME2 as I get penalised for not following a specific path. I like the military options but they often lead to little to no paragon/renegade points meaning I am forced to fail certain events as I can't use paragon or renegade speech. Anything like that I need to be aware of?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho

Origins is still good. Play it, maybe check out the expansion, then move along while you still have a high opinion of the IP.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Milkman

Play Origins, pretend Dragon Age 2 doesn't exist because he has pretty much nothing to do with Origins anyway. Just be warned after you finish Origins, you'll probably be bummed out knowing you'll never get a real sequel.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By emergency

Never too late to the origins party.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By GeekDown

I just bought the Ultimate Edition myself last week and I am loving it so far. I'm playing on the 360 and it works surprisingly well with a controller. Buy it!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimbo

It's alright. I think DA2 makes Origins seem a lot better than it actually was.

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@PieGuy: Yes and no. Rather than posing a meter whick tracks your choices in the game, and then swiftly sub-catagorizes them under "how nice, how bad and how kinky", Dragon Age has two methods of keeping you far more involved in the choices you make. First of all, you've got your companions. Each of them has a very distinct personality, and the ones you bring with you will have opinions or your actions. Befriending your companions will allow you to get to know these greatly-written characters better, improve their skills in combat; and even lead to hanky-panky if you so want. (Lots more hanky-panky than in mass-effect, loots more.) Seeing as you actually will come to care about your companions, the decisions won't always be as easy as you reckon.

Secondly, Dragon Age has consequences based off almost every single damn action you take in the game. It's pretty staggering, really. But rather than track points, you'll see the game-world change around you. Main-characters will die (even your companions), entire cities and/or peoples will die and be destroyed, and the story will drastically change. Abandoning the moral meter was a smart choice for Dragon Age: Origins. The game is dark, and the game makes it a habit of making the "right" decisions often be the most unpractical ones. Being easy and selfish is easier, while being good can lead you to lose much, but gain other things along the way.

There's no quick-time events a-là Mass Effect 2, though. Conversation options definitely will change depending on your previous actions, but.. You can theoretically be a bastard in one scenario, and be a good guy in another when it fits you. God knows I saved a marriage and a kingdom before engaging in a four-some, and then betraying an one of my dearest companions for more power (and what a shit-storm that mess brought up.)

It's exactly what makes the game so great.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Origins is a must play.

I like DA2 but it is not nearly as good and the subject of much nerd rage.

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PieGuy
    @Do_The_Manta_Ray: Cheers for the indepth answer. How it handles the choices made by you sounds brilliant. Can't wait to play the game now, it's a shame about my delivery estimate.
    Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hairy_Fish

Play it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The sequel is an alright game, it's just not nearly as fantastic as the first.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Marz

play it.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Teran
    @PieGuy: Origins is a fantastic game, but I feel that if you're playing it on a console versus a pc, you aren't getting as fantastic a game as you could be getting.

I will say I put 324 hours into the game according to steam and loved every minute of it... I played it in a limited capacity on an xbox 360 and felt like my hands were tied however I don't know that I would have felt that way if I had never played the pc version.  The strengths in the game are universal though and you shouldn't be disappointed even with a console version.
    Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35  Edited By Levio

Well you can play it now, or you can wait 15 years for the remake.

The remake will probably have insane graphics though.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vexxan

Everyone should at least play DA1...the sequel's kinda "mjeh".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.