Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Do you use AI Tactics?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Kazona

I've tried setting up some good tactics for AI controlled characters a couple of times, but I think I'll just be sticking with micro-managing each character because that seems to be the only way to get everyone to do exactly what I want, when I want. Despite all the options that are available, the tactics still feel far too limited. That said, I've felt this way about pretty much every RPG that implements some kind of AI scripting. 

What about you? Do you use tactics, or do  you prefer to just micro-manage each character? 

Also, if you do make use of tactics, mind sharing what kind of tactics you use?

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By vaiz

I have too short an attention span for micromanagement, so I've been sticking with tactics.
    Not that I've noticed much of a difference between that and no tactics. Morrigan throws shiny things, Alistair beats people with a shield, etc, either way.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Kazona
    @punkxblaze:
    Have you set up any custom tactics, or did you just leave things at their default?
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Binman88

The tactics are, I'm sure, very useful, but I prefer to just pause and set each character's attack so I have full control over what's happening. The only tactic I really have in place is for my character to heal himself with the least powerful potion when his health drops to about a third, just incase I don't realise.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By raddevon

I tried setting up my rogue to switch to his bow when the enemy was at range or his dagger when the enemy was close. When the enemies did get close, it resulted in him continuing to switch back and forth between the weapons without ever attacking. I hope that will be fixed in last night's patch. I really like the idea of the tactics, but they aren't working for me so far.

HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By HotSauceMagik

If  you get creative with them, they can work really well, but you cant take it too far.  Upon spotting a group of enemies, my mage casts fire weapons.  My archer will hit the first sighted mob with pinning shot, then when they they attack him with a melee attack, he casts either crippling shot or whichever spell it is that weakens the enemy attacks, then switches to melee weapon.  

I think of a lot of cool idead but don't have enough tectics slots yet...bummer....

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By VWGTI

I use the stock tactics (healer, archer, war dog, etc.) and they're alright. I still pause the combat and deligate tasks to everyone whether it be changing the target they attack, throwing out a heal when I think someone needs it, or using a spell. It's working out well so far.

mm665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By mm665

I use mix of tactics and micromanagement .When enemy is weak i just use my character but when combat gets tougher i take control of all.

Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Galbrezu
    @mm665 said:
    " I use mix of tactics and micromanagement .When enemy is weak i just use my character but when combat gets tougher i take control of all. "
    Doing the exact same thing, usually my tactics involve casting fiddly things like debuffs and whatnot, then I target damage spells and abilities myself. My char is a mage and I have Morrigan with me so i'm almost always exclusively controlling them and leaving the melee to figure shit out on their own.

Been working well on hard so far, i've wiped quite a few times, but usually when I come back for round two or three I'll roll them.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai

I defiantly have, at lest on the console version its super helpful for making sure that the AI are doing what they are suppose to.

TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TimeWaffle

i mainly only really set my tactics if i'm going against a hard boss like a dragon and it has saved my life so many times because i don't like micromanaging my party every 10 secs 

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By clush

I've tried tactics, but ended up microing everything just the same. Not because it doesn't work, but it's a habit from baldur's gate and I still want to check everybody is doing the thing they should be doing. Therefor, I've now turned the whole thing off and it's been working out pretty well, if maybe a bit slow.

@DrDemon said:

" i mainly only really set my tactics if i'm going against a hard boss like a dragon and it has saved my life so many times because i don't like micromanaging my party every 10 secs  "
    Haha, once every 10 seconds you say. In the heat of battle I'm pausing more like once every second.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.