Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age DLC, does it get any better?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Vinny_Says

So here's a bit of back-story. I bought DA2 on impulse one day and loved it. I then decided to buy Origins and went for the Ultimate edition because it was a good deal.

It took me nearly 2 months to finish the main story because it just never clicked with me. (I finished DA2 twice in a week) There were some pretty cool things in origins but the slow combat was a drag.

I eventually decided to play some of the DLC that came along with it and I must say I really enjoyed it. I've only played "Witch hunt" and "Leileana's Song" and had a great time trying to find Morrigan again. I even went into the mirror with her to meet my son. I also played the Betrayal and was not as impressed, still nice and short though. LA Noire is coming out in 2 days and I feel like if I don't play any Origins by then I will never get around to it...ever. (It's Jade Empire all over again)
    So does it stay as good as witch hunt, get better? What's the deal? Is it worth it? Should I just give up and enjoy the rest of my weekend?

Any help is appreciated.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Milkman

I haven't played all of it of it but from what I've played, it pretty much sucks. I played Darkspawn Chronicles, which is terrible. Return to Ostagar was alright. Golems of Amgarrak was fine combat wise but had zero interesting story at all. Waden's Keep and The Stone Prisoner were probably the only two that I can say that I legitimately enjoyed. I still plan to go back and play Leilana's Song and Witch Hunt some day. Some day...

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By chrissedoff

darkspawn chronicles is a little bit interesting, as a freebie. it's kind of fun and a forces you to be a little bit more strategic because of the limitations imposed upon you, but it recycles assets like a motherfucker and doesn't advance the story at all, instead offering a sort of "what if" scenario of the darkspawn successfully taking denerim.
    the golems of amgarrak is dumb. you get saddled with useless companion characters, the loot is not that great, and there is nothing interesting at all about the story. there is a puzzle element to it, but it ends up falling short of the puzzle from the stone prisoner and the temple of andraste's ashes, because so much of solving the main puzzle is just traversal, and the other puzzles are so dirt simple that figuring them out isn't very fun.
    you might enjoy awakening, as the premise is pretty interesting (sentient darkspawn) and if you liked anders from dragon age 2, he's in awakening, although he might as well be a separate character because he's written so differently. since it's a genuine expansion unlike the other dlc, it doesn't recycle as much of the old art, which is really cool, but in my opinion, the dialog in awakening is very poorly written, and for me that almost ruined it.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By SmasheControllers

All the DLC, besides Origins DLC, Witch Hunt and Awakening, are pretty bad. DSC was boring, TGOA was dumb and pointless and LS was interesting but again pointless.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777
    @Milkman said:
    I haven't played all of it of it but from what I've played, it pretty much sucks. I played Darkspawn Chronicles, which is terrible. Return to Ostagar was alright. Golems of Amgarrak was fine combat wise but had zero interesting story at all. Waden's Keep and The Stone Prisoner were probably the only two that I can say that I legitimately enjoyed. I still plan to go back and play Leilana's Song and Witch Hunt some day. Some day...
    This expresses exactly how I feel about the DLC as well. 
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The DLC is all pretty much terrible.  The expansion, Awakening is pretty good.. and the Witch Hunt is alright, despite using blatantly recycled areas because the characters are really funny.  Skip the rest of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.