Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age scores a 91% with PCAction

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DeviantJoker

Germans love David Hasslehoff... and Dragon Age.

PCAction is one of the big game magazines in Germany. In their latest issue they got to test Dragon Age Origins and rated the game with 91%, although mentioning it has a few flaws here and there.

Pros

• Great storytelling
    • Great staged fights
    • No questbugs found
    • Neat monster design
    • Nice soundscenery
    • High replay value

Cons

• Unfinished class balancing
    • Silent main character
    • Sometimes unfair random battles

Unfinished class balancing and Unfair random battles
    - To me, this might be a "User Error". A lot of reviewers are finding this game difficult - even on normal setting. Unfinished class balancing makes me wonder if he did not efficienctly utilize the classes... hopefully it's not that one class was significantly underpowered compared to another. And I say "underpowered" because I definitely don't think any class is "overpowered" if everyone is complaining about difficulty.

If Dave's QL is any indication, you really must keep your Archer's and Mage's shoved in the back - waaay back and keep them there. Do not lead with your main character unless he happens to be able to take an arrow or a fireball to the friggin face or slip out relatively easy (I will be leading with my stealthy/scouty rogue). Some amount of tact must be brought forth in this game. Party-Based Game.

Anyways, second good review over seas. Wonder what the US reviews will think of it?

Edit: Forgot to include ZEE LINK! The google translation of the article is semi-hilarious.
    Avatar image for piratepwnsninja
    piratepwnsninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By piratepwnsninja

What was the first good overseas review? I had only seen the 9/10 in Gameinformer prior to this.

edit: n/m. I found it.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By buzz_killington

The QuickLook made me go back and re-install Icewind Dale II. After playing that for half an hour, I realized why I stopped playing these kind of games.

But Dragon Age looks neat. I might pick it up if the reviews for the console versions are good (I have a shit PC).

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By bwooduhs

Hopefully the console versions good too.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By flaminghobo

Silent Main Character? Strange.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @FlamingHobo said:
    " Silent Main Character? Strange. "
    Ya, the your character has no VO unfortunately. You just the text dialogue you choose when encountering folks. Everyone else is voiced though.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

Unfinished class balancing makes me wonder if he did not efficienctly utilize the classes    

The Germans are known for their efficiency, so I doubt that, as much as I doubt German gaming publications to provide decent reviews for games. 

I will wait on Dave's opinion... :)
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @Linkyshinks said:

"

Unfinished class balancing makes me wonder if he did not efficienctly utilize the classes    

The Germans are known for their efficiency, so I doubt that, as much as I doubt German gaming publications to provide decent reviews for games.  I will wait on Dave's opinion... :) "
    Fair enough. I won't argue with things I don't know. It'd be great if some US reviews popped up in the short weeks left remaining before the game launches and offers their opinions. Dave has said that the review should be up on game launch and as I won't be receiving the game until 3 days after the Nov 3rd release, this will be a welcome treat. 

Although.. I know that day, I'm going to be twitching as everyone will have their hands on the game and I will yet be waiting. Sigh.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By flaminghobo
    @DeviantJoker said:
    " @FlamingHobo said:
    Ya, the your character has no VO unfortunately. You just the text dialogue you choose when encountering folks. Everyone else is voiced though. "
    Oh, that's alright then.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @buzz_killington said:
    " I realized why I stopped playing these kind of games."
    why ?
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @DeviantJoker said:
    " @FlamingHobo said:
    Ya, the your character has no VO unfortunately. You just the text dialogue you choose when encountering folks. Everyone else is voiced though. "
    Yeah, I noticed that. It's kind of weird, considering how well Mass Effect did it. Then again, I assume Bioware didn't want to half-ass it and only have two different voice actors in a game with multiple races. It's not a huge deal, but having Shepard talk in Mass Effect really helped the immersion in that game.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By buzz_killington
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @buzz_killington said:
    " I realized why I stopped playing these kind of games."
    why ? "

Too much to keep track off. These console games have made me lazy...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.