Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Text in SD

RafamanGrundy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RafamanGrundy

I'm thinking of picking this up for 360 and losing 80 hours to it, but there's one issue I'm a bit worried about, namely the text resolution on an sd screen. I've just finished playing through ME2 and loved it, but a lot of the text was pretty much unreadable which marred my enjoyment somewhat. I've found this issue affects a lot of games, but rpgs are where I miss text most since it prohibits you from getting in to a lot of the backstory, and means it can take a bit longer to pick up some mechanics because I can't read the explanations.  I don't have a pc or an hd tv and there's no way I'll be able to get either any time soon, so this is a problem thats not going away.

So, my questions are these: has anyone played dragon age on an sd tv? Is the text readable? If not is it still possible to have fun with the game or will it take too much away from the experience?

For the record my screen is about 19", and some games - Oblivion for example - have been just fine in terms of reading text.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By endaround
    @RafamanGrundy: If your already at 19in, why not buy a VGA adapter and hook the 360 up to a monitor?
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Vaile

I find that the screen in Dragon Age is harder to read than ME2. Honestly though, it was more than worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Don't know if it applies to console versions as well, but the default font on the PC version is quite small and becomes a strain on the eyes after about 2 hours. I imagine that having SD doesn't help.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Bigandtasty

I actually thought Dragon Age was much more readable than ME2 on a 19" SDTV (especially the dialogue). Your mileage may vary, though.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By bhhawks78

I got a 24 inch 1080p hdmi monitor that can be used by the 360 for 120$, if you can afford a 360 or a ps3 get something hd for the love of god.  I've seen 720p monitors for sub 90$

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Lambert

If you can, you should get the cables and hook it up to your PC monitor. I think they are called the 360 VGA cables? That is what I did back when I had my 360 and an SD tv.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Lies

Dragon Age is much better than ME2 text wise I've found- ME2 caused me some troubles, but I was fine with Dragon Age. 19" is pretty small in general though, still might be difficult.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.