Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

xbox 360 or pc version: Dragon age origins.

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By joshy9411

recently ive seen a lot of good reviews, and spoken to a few people who have said that dragon age origins is a great game. i would really like to get in on tthe action but sadly i do not own a high end gaming pc. my laptop has higher specs than the mimimum requirements, but doesnt meet the recomended requirements.  
    not being able to run a game on the recomended setting always leave me reluctant to buy it, so ive been thinking about getting it on the xbox 360, but i havnt really been able to find much as far as console version specific reviews. 
    could someone help me make an informed decision? or atleast let me know how the console version handles. 

thanks guy/girls.

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By joshy9411

i accidentaly posted this thread like 3 times...dont get confused :P 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

The PC version is quite a bit better then the console versions and I can't really tell you how the PC version will run for you without knowing your laptops specs.

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joshy9411
    @CL60:
    ive got 4gb Ram 2.1ghz processor and an  ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 graphics card.
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By CharleyTony

i ve got the xbox 360 version, it's good but I'm sure that the pc version has better visuals and a better camera. on the xbox 360 zoomed in conversation show a low res texture that drapes the torso of the npc you are talking to.  
    The only thing I would add is that I heard that the PC version has a better menu system and seems to ask the player to focus a little more on the strategy aspect of the combat. On the console, because the menus aren't as accessible, you almost have to dumb down the difficulty and play it like an action rpg. 

either way, the main star of this game is the story which is the same from one version to another ( if you play the same way of course ).
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

PC VERSION, DEFINITELY!

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By meteora

PC version seems to be the way to go if your laptop can handle it. There's a quicklook on both PC and console version of the game here on GB.

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshy9411

given my specs, do u think i could run this game without any probelms? or should i opt for the xbxo 360 version? either way i want this game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get pc version

mech4399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By mech4399

PC, I'm stuck playing it on the Xbox, but it still fun. Most of the area of effect mage spells are a little difficult to use with the limited camera angle.

kotetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kotetsu
    @joshy9411: Granted the PC version is the best version, But by going by your spec's i would most definitely go for the 360 version. You might be used to playing games on a laptop, but from my experience of being hunched down all the time looking at a small screen makes me feel ill lol.
    And from the reviews the 360 version has a good framerate for the most part.
    imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By imhuntad

I own the 360 version, but I recommend the PC version. It just seems as if it was made for it. If you wanna chill on the couch and don't care too much about intense strategy, go with the 360 version though. If you wanna get all you can from it, go PC. 

To answer your question: 360 version is great. Nothing wrong with it at all, PC version is just all around a little easier to control at times and better graphics.

Persecution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Persecution

considering your laptops specs and the fact that you would be playing it on a laptop lol i say go for the 360 version simply because it would be better suited for long play sessions.. and that you would almost certainly have a better experience from a performance point of view.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Doctorchimp

I like all the people just saying play it on the PC without reading your specs.

In your case, 360 is the way to go. I personally quit playing my 360 version since I really needed those hotkkeys I felt. But it wasn't terrible and I do have a gaming PC which nudged me to sell it to a friend for 30 bucks and then grab it off of steam

Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hannibal

I own the 360 version and it's great but if I had an awesome PC I'd buy that version. It was rare that I had to use intense strategy, but when I did every so often I would have difficulty targeting who I wanted to. Also it would be better if I didn't have to deal with radial menus.

Still fantastic.

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By joshy9411

everyone saying laptops arnt good for games are making me wonder why? im fine playing games on my laptop. i can just sit in bed and relax :P
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Manatassi

@joshy9411:

I have the 360 version but it all comes down to the power of your PC. If your PC will run it well then get the PC.... 

Wait hasn't this subject been repeated to death over and over? EVERYBODY already knows the PC version is better if you have a good enough PC.  

Why don't you? Its been repeated over and over whats the point in asking the question again? Sheesh!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18  Edited By natetodamax

If you have the option, I hear that the PC version is better.

EndrzGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EndrzGame

I think it should run just fine on your lappy. For my desktop I'm running old WinXP 32 bit, 2 gigs of 667mhz RAM, GeForce 9600GT 512MB, and I've got the old E6300 core2 duo CPU at 1.8 and I can run DA with everything set on high with solid frame rates. Granted that's only at 1280x1024 resolution but it still looks great and runs really smooth. 
    Bioware spent @ a year refining the PC code while they were doing the conversion for consoles, so the grphx engine really scales well to mid/lower specced rigs. 

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

The PC version is best for graphics and the 360 version is the worst, but depending on how bad your PC is, the graphics might be the same. In which case the PC version would be best because it's easier to navigate through powers and such. So I've heard, I'm not a PC game nore do I like RPGs.
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fwylo
    @joshy9411: Its up to you, I would say its better on PC.  They did a Quicklook of it on the 360 and on PC so watch them and look at the gameplay different.  But it would definitely look and play better on the PC.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zombie2011

I've got the 360 version, its not the best looking game but you'll get over that in an hour or so. So if your PC can handle it go for that if not the 360 version is great as well.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gabriel

PC>PS3>360 in that order

vinnylegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vinnylegs

PC>PS3=360 in that order

Protoroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Protoroll
    @Vinnylegs said:
    " PC>PS3=360 in that order "
    PS3 version looks better but the 360 version runs at a better framerate.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gabriel
    @Protoroll: Framerate is better on the 360 not really noticeably, however the graphics defiantly look a step up when you go to PS3 and way better on PC.  
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Quacktastic

Even if it doesn't run that well on your PC, if you can get around 20fps I'd say go for it.  It doesn't run that well on the consoles anyway.
    The PS3 version has a 20-25ish frame rate and the 360 version has 25-30 frames with a really low draw distance and a blur filter over a lot of textures.

The better gameplay would be worth the performance loss even if it ran worse than the console versions.
    Console version: the camera is always positioned behind your controlled character and you have a low number of hotkeys.
    PC version: The camera has the option of an overhead camera and click-to-move RTS like controls, mouse-drag selection of party members and a better UI.

Oh yeah, and Mods.

Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Alphawolfy

The PC version has an easier-to-use interface. I'd say get it for the PC because the 360 version's visuals aren't very good, and it won't be much smoother than your PC version either. Anything above 20FPS is quite playable, especially because of the pausing during combat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.