I love Chrono Trigger, Will I like Dragon Quest?

#1 Posted by RavenholmDX (175 posts) -

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to purchase Dragon Quest IV for DS, and I was just wondering would I like it if I like Chrono Trigger? (Seeing as both share the same designer).

Thanks,

-Epic

#2 Posted by Manachild (506 posts) -

dragon quest games are super generic in comparison, not to say they dont have charm but in comparsion....

i dont think so.....
#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18986 posts) -

The main Dragon Quest games are strictly old school JRPG.  If you like old school JRPGs like me, then you will love it.

#4 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

They're almost nothing at all alike to play.

Dragon Quest is more 'dry', less interesting concepts, more grinding.

#5 Edited by PureRok (4235 posts) -

Besides the fact that they're made by the same company (now), use the same artist (Akira Toriyama), and are both RPGs... they aren't really that similar.

Edit: Also, for the record, I really like Dragon Quest games, but I didn't really like Chrono Trigger. Take that for what you will.

#6 Posted by RavenholmDX (175 posts) -

Ok, I will boil it down to one question...

Is Dragon Quest IV a game, as a gamer, I should at least experience?

#7 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
TotallyEpic said:
"Ok, I will boil it down to one question...Is Dragon Quest IV a game, as a gamer, I should at least experience?"
Personally, I'd say no.
#8 Edited by SuperfluousMoniker (2908 posts) -
TotallyEpic said:
"Ok, I will boil it down to one question...Is Dragon Quest IV a game, as a gamer, I should at least experience?"
DQIV was pretty good, but if you're going to play one Dragon Quest game I'd make it DQ V, which is out for DS now I believe... It's a tossup between that and DQ 8 for best in the series imho.
#9 Posted by Manachild (506 posts) -

if you need to play a dq game play 8

#10 Posted by JJOR64 (18986 posts) -
Manachild said:
"if you need to play a dq game play 8"
What he said.  DQ 8 (for PS2) is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.
#11 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2908 posts) -

Yeah, gameplay wise 8 is superior but I like 5's story a lot. So tossup.

#12 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
TotallyEpic said:
I haven't got Chrono Trigger - yet, but DQ IV is a really good game, that should be a fun experience in itself.  You can't really go wrong, but don't expect it to be the same - which is a good thing.

Although I love DQ VIII, it is a console game and not an either scenario.  If you have a PS2, get DQ VIII as well, not instead.
#13 Posted by RavenholmDX (175 posts) -

Just ordered DQIV for €12.58..Can't go wrong really...

#14 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
TotallyEpic said:
"Just ordered DQIV for €12.58..Can't go wrong really..."
Well done sir :-)
#15 Edited by Chaser324 (6507 posts) -

The one thing that really separates Chrono Trigger from any of the DQ games is the difficulty. DQ is a hardcore old school RPG series. You will have to do some pretty significant amounts of grinding from the very beginning.

#16 Posted by RavenholmDX (175 posts) -
Chaser324 said:
"The one thing that really separates Chrono Trigger from any of the DQ games is the difficulty. DQ is a hardcore old school RPG series. You will have to do some pretty significant amounts of grinding from the very beginning."
I've played MMOs, I eat grind for breakfast (that makes no sense)
#17 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

i loved Dragon Quest IV and liked Chrono Trigger

you should love DQ4 especially since grinding doesn't bother you

#18 Posted by ThomasP (1656 posts) -

I'd go for it if I were you. I've heard many good things. FF4 is a solid choice, as well. If you have a PS2 check out DQ8.

#19 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@ThomasP said:
" I'd go for it if I were you. I've heard many good things. FF4 is a solid choice, as well. If you have a PS2 check out DQ8. "
What happened to Totally Epic?  I haven't heard from in a while.  Maybe he is too busy playing DQ IV  :-)
#20 Posted by ThomasP (1656 posts) -
@oldschool said:
"
@ThomasP said:
" I'd go for it if I were you. I've heard many good things. FF4 is a solid choice, as well. If you have a PS2 check out DQ8. "
What happened to Totally Epic?  I haven't heard from in a while.  Maybe he is too busy playing DQ IV  :-)
"
Wow. This is an old thread. I didn't even realize. How did I get here? lol
#21 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@ThomasP said:
"
@oldschool said:
"
@ThomasP said:
"
Wow. This is an old thread. I didn't even realize. How did I get here? lol "
Alcohol most likely.  Look around.  Are your clothes disheveled and is there perhaps a hooker beside you  :-)

Hey, it happens to the best of us.  Just get a medical check-up and move on  xP
#22 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@oldschool said:
"
@ThomasP said:
"
He made a twitter post on the 12th, but other than that he hasn't been around... Probably just busy. 
#23 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
"
@oldschool said:
"
@ThomasP said:
"
He made a twitter post on the 12th, but other than that he hasn't been around... Probably just busy. 
"
I prefer your old avatar  :-(    It was you.

I just signed up for twitter, but I am a little  ignorant about it.  I will learn though  :-)
#24 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@oldschool said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@oldschool said:
"
@ThomasP said:
"
"

I just signed up for twitter, but I am a little  ignorant about it.  I will learn though  :-)
"
Don't worry, it will be back as soon as the Iranian conflict is settled (which could be a while)
#25 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
"
@oldschool said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@oldschool said:
"
@ThomasP said:
"
"

"
Don't worry, it will be back as soon as the Iranian conflict is settled (which could be a while)
"
Oooh, a political avatar.  I thought you were just catching up with local politics and it was a reference to Florida (the Dubya one)  :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.