Anyone remember this gem of a game?

#1 Edited by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Damn! For some odd reason I just remembered it yesterday, and the recollection was like being hit by a train full of puppies and Kit Kats. If you happen to be dead inside and do not understand where that lies on the "awesome spectrum," trust me, that's pretty damn awesome.

I know that I'm pretty anti-JRPGs (in general,) but Dragon Warrior Monsters is part of why I came to love video games. I understand that there was a sequel to this, but that was eons ago. Is there any word from the grape vine of another iteration in the series? I'd be devastated if this sub-franchise of Dragon Quest was left in the wind column. But, even if the series has been discontinued, is DWM available on the Virtual Console? Please?! =/

#2 Posted by Djstyles92 (952 posts) -

dragon warrior monster was one of my fav games on the gameboy color.  It kicked major ass

#3 Posted by outlawed (38 posts) -

Me and my step-brother both had copies of this game when it first game out and we put an untold amount of hours into it.  I still look back at it as one of the best video game memories I've ever had.  Me and my brother constantly even reference the game with in-jokes we had normally throughout our conversations.

Hopefully they do take another crack at this sub-franchise for future games. I doubt we'd see any VC releases, but I'm hopeful for a DS sequel.

#4 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -
@outlawed said:
" Me and my step-brother both had copies of this game when it first game out and we put an untold amount of hours into it.  I still look back at it as one of the best video game memories I've ever had.  Me and my brother constantly even reference the game with in-jokes we had normally throughout our conversations.  Hopefully they do take another crack at this sub-franchise for future games. I doubt we'd see any VC releases, but I'm hopeful for a DS sequel. "
There already is.
#5 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1171 posts) -

Oh man I still have that somewhere

#6 Posted by outlawed (38 posts) -
@PureRok: I had no idea.  It looks like a pretty quality game, but is it similar in many aspects to the previous iterations?

@TimAllen624: I thought I had it tucked away, but after moving so many times I doubt I'd be able to find it, if I do indeed still have it. I do still have the GBC I played it on.

I'm almost afraid to try and seek out a copy to play again. Sometimes memories serve a better reminder.
#7 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -

Fuck yeah I remember that game, it was fucking awesome!
#8 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

I never played it but the originals on the NES I loved since I was a kid.

#9 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -
@outlawed: It is similar. The story is a bit different, but it does revolve around a tournament. Instead of going to different worlds you go to different islands. I really liked it.
#10 Posted by PeanutGod (132 posts) -

I swear, I probably played this game more back in the day more than any day to date. Reading this topic makes me want to go back and play it again. XD

#11 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

This thread just made my day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.