Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

Seriously no loot in this game?

• 62 results
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Detrian

Loot in chests is just rare but there's so many around it would be dumb otherwise.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By xyzygy

@Bravestar said:

diablo 3 is out and suddently loot is something really important again haha.

enemies drop stuff, you find chests with stuff, stuff grows/lies around in the environment. I guess that counts as loot, right? but if you mean the loot that makes you check your inventory constantly, because you might have gotten a staff with +0.2 magic, no. this game isn't throwing a million trash items at you to satisfy the loot lust. it lets you collect a lot of stuff instead.

Pretty sure there have been shit tons of games with loot that aren't Diablo. Mostly all of the 2D Castlevanias, Borderlands is one of the better examples, Morrowind is another great one (though not random), Too Human. There are tons.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By TentPole

@xyzygy said:

@Bravestar said:

enemies drop stuff, you find chests with stuff, stuff grows/lies around in the environment. I guess that counts as loot, right? but if you mean the loot that makes you check your inventory constantly, because you might have gotten a staff with +0.2 magic, no. this game isn't throwing a million trash items at you to satisfy the loot lust. it lets you collect a lot of stuff instead.

Pretty sure there have been shit tons of games with loot that aren't Diablo. Mostly all of the 2D Castlevanias, Borderlands is one of the better examples, Morrowind is another great one (though not random), Too Human. There are tons.

• There are less 2D Castlevania games with loot than without.
    • All of those games other than Castlevania took direct and liberal inspiration from Diablo (Morrowind to a lesser, though still tangible, extent).
    • He never said Diablo was the only loot game. He is just saying that it is especially relevant right now and is drawing unfair comparisons.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By Tennmuerti

@oulzac:

Wow the loot is broken down like that by story progression? That's why my smith has been stuck with the same loot forever. >.<

This sucks ass for a player like me who tries to do as many sidequests as possible before advancing the story.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By xyzygy

@TentPole said:

@xyzygy said:

@Bravestar said:

• There are less 2D Castlevania games with loot than without.
    • All of those games other than Castlevania took direct and liberal inspiration from Diablo (Morrowind to a lesser, though still tangible, extent).
    • He never said Diablo was the only loot game. He is just saying that it is especially relevant right now and is drawing unfair comparisons.

I also never said that he said Diablo was the only loot game. I just said that there have been plenty released before D3 and after D2, so saying that now that D3 is released and that loot is "something really important" is a little off considering how obsessed people were with Borderlands' loot 3 years ago (and some still are because there are still lots of people playing).

Also... as for the 2D Castlevania games... really? I'm talking mothership titles like Aria of Sorrow, Circle of the Moon, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia, Symphony of the Night, etc. These games had enemies which had, depending on the enemy and the game, 1-3 items drops and 1-2 of which were rare which required luck or grinding. And every enemy had this, so I don't see how that couldn't be called "loot".

I realize the first few games didn't have this feature but as soon as SOTN came out they all pretty much did. 2D ones at least. Not only that but they also sometimes had special drops like their souls or other items.

And your comment on them taking inspiration from Diablo... I know. I never said they didn't. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't take Diablo to get your loot on.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By Sterling

@Tennmuerti said:

@oulzac:

Wow the loot is broken down like that by story progression? That's why my smith has been stuck with the same loot forever. >.<

This sucks ass for a player like me who tries to do as many sidequests as possible before advancing the story.

You can also find all the best loot/stuff in chests scattered across the world.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TentPole

@xyzygy said:

Also... as for the 2D Castlevania games... really? I'm talking mothership titles like Aria of Sorrow, Circle of the Moon, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia, Symphony of the Night, etc. These games had enemies which had, depending on the enemy and the game, 1-3 items drops and 1-2 of which were rare which required luck or grinding. And every enemy had this, so I don't see how that couldn't be called "loot".

Castlevania 1-3 are mothership titles. Super Castlevania IV is a mothership title. Rondo of Blood is a mothership title. Dracula X is a mothership title. The Adventure, Belmont's Revenge, and Legends were just as important in their day as the more recent handhelds are today. That does not taking into account remakes such as Chronicles, Dracula X Chronicles or lesser gamers such as Vampire Killer, Haunted Castle, and ReBirth. Even only counting marquee releases it is more than SotN, the 3 GBA, and the 3 DS games. Now if you wanted to say you are only talking about more modern games you would be onto something but since you didn't, don't lecture me about Castlevania.

@xyzygy said:

I also never said that he said Diablo was the only loot game. I just said that there have been plenty released before D3 and after D2, so saying that now that D3 is released and that loot is "something really important" is a little off considering how obsessed people were with Borderlands' loot 3 years ago (and some still are because there are still lots of people playing).

Diablo 3 is extremely timely right now and that is what he was saying. There is nothing "a little off" about that.

Edit: This is coming out much harsher than it should have. Sorry for that.

You attacked a comment out of turn, taking it out of context. That is what this is about. Fuck you.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By xyzygy

@TentPole: Or you could have just looked at the list I gave and seen that I was specifically talking about the 2D games from SOTN and onwards and the games like it. When I said Aria of Sorrow, Circle of the Moon, ETC, I'm obviously talking about the modern games. And specifically when I'm talking about how enemies have loot drops. The older games obviously don't have loot and you're just nitpicking my comment to make yourself seem right.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By TentPole

@xyzygy: But that is not what you said.

Here are your exacty words: "Pretty sure there have been shit tons of games with loot that aren't Diablo. Mostly all of the 2D Castlevanias." There is no argument to be had here. That sentence is false. It can not be construed in any way as to be anything other than false.

I called you out on it in addition to the fact that you completely misread a post by another reader and foolishly condemned them for your lack of comprehension unless you are saying that Diablo 3 is not a timely topic of discussion.

That is the end of it. I am ashamed that I have wasted these few short moments of my life trying to talk sense with someone for whom it has become apparent that sense is not a trade in which they wish to dabble.

@xyzygy said:

@TentPole: I also go on to list the 2D Castlevania's that I'm talking about. LOVE how you excluded that part.

No you didn't. Look at your post again.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By xyzygy

@TentPole: I also go on to list the 2D Castlevania's that I'm talking about. LOVE how you excluded that part.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Peanut

Wait...what the fuck did Morrowind take from Diablo? Traditional western mechanics that were born from pen and paper rpg's?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By Marz

i'm about level 32 now, i have found a few unique items in dungeons, hidden away in crevices... I found a Ninja mask which looks pretty cool on my assassin, and a few 2 handed weapons which i don't use. There's definitely a slow progression to the loot but it's there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.