Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dreamcast Collection

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Dreamcast Collection is a video game compilation of the best-hit and best-selling titles for the Dreamcast. While the Xbox 360 version only contains four, the PC and Steam versions have seven.

Dreamcast Collection Rant.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Not too long ago I was considering purchasing a Dreamcast, but I did not. You assured me, yes, YOU told me Sega would be releasing glorious HD Dreamcast games on current generation consoles and you lied. Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Seaman, Power Stone, Chu Chu Rocket, these are the games you promised me would come out and YOU lied. I have never played these games but I would love to, and Sega (and YOU) have taken it away from me.

What do I do? Buy a Dreamcast? Buy Shenmue for a ridiculous price? I need your opinion.

Oh and to make this an angry rant - FUCK YOU SEGA >:(

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By toowalrus

They're never going to release the games you were talking about, they just weren't mainstream enough. Buy a Dreamcast.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Goly

Buy it. 

detectivepbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By detectivepbert

Yeah you should buy it.  The only worthwhile game in this so-called collection is Crazy Taxi, which can be downloaded separately.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Sooty

I got Shenmue for like $30, it looks brand new as well! Do it. 

@detectivepbert said:

" Yeah you should buy it.  The only worthwhile game in this so-called collection is Crazy Taxi, which can be downloaded separately. "

It's a shitty version though with all the in-game ads and music removed - they are part of what made the game so nuts. :@
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By DeF
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " Not too long ago I was considering purchasing a Dreamcast, but I did not. You assured me, yes, YOU told me Sega would be releasing glorious HD Dreamcast games on current generation consoles and you lied. Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Seaman, Power Stone, Chu Chu Rocket, these are the games you promised me would come out and YOU lied. I have never played these games but I would love to, and Sega (and YOU) have taken it away from me. What do I do? Buy a Dreamcast? Buy Shenmue for a ridiculous price? I need your opinion. Oh and to make this an angry rant - FUCK YOU SEGA >:( "
    there's an enhanced gamecube port o Skies of Arcadia, btw
    kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By kagato

Go ahead and buy a dreamcast, they are fantastic machines and id wager it will still operate when your current consoles have died (my launch one still works after heavy play and yet ive had 2 PS3s and 3 360s already).  There are literally a tonne of fantastic games there to warrent purchase, all of the capcom fighters (Streetfighter, Darkstalkers, Powerstone) lots of amazing RPGs (Evolution, Grandia, Shenmue) some great Racing games (Daytona USA, Sega Rally, MSR) and of course some amazing music games (Space Channel 5, Samba de Amigo) and im just scratching the surface.  Dont worry about the HD remakes, they tend to be stripped down and dont look anywhere near as good when upscaled, play them the way they where supposed to be played.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Sega Bass Fishing is sick nasty.  They manage to take something as boring as video game fishing and made it hectic and insane.  Give me Toy Commander, Chu Chu Rocket, Dynamite Cop,  and Zombie Revenge and I will be happy.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By EuanDewar

Dont buy Shenmue. That game wasn't good when it came out and I cant see a sane person liking it today.  

I respect peoples opinions but the people that are fanatical over that game fucking freak me out.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Godwind

Just get a Dreamcast dude.  A much better investment in the long run.  You can probably buy a used one for $20 and a Brand new one for $100 on Ebay.  If your a little thriftier, you can find a combination of deals for the console, such as VMU packaging, Additional games, accessories ect.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Ygg

@detectivepbert said:

" Yeah you should buy it.  The only worthwhile game in this so-called collection is Crazy Taxi, which can be downloaded separately. "

It's a shitty version though with all the in-game ads and music removed - they are part of what made the game so nuts. :@
    For $30? WHERE?
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Any where I can buy a new, cheap console? Also, should I go with a PAL or NTSC?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " Any where I can buy a new, cheap console? Also, should I go with a PAL or NTSC? "
    I remember that somebody was selling new ones, recently, somehow. As for regions, why bother? Just disable region lockout as soon as you can. I'm sure that there are tutorials online.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " Any where I can buy a new, cheap console? Also, should I go with a PAL or NTSC? "
    I remember that somebody was selling new ones, recently, somehow. As for regions, why bother? Just disable region lockout as soon as you can. I'm sure that there are tutorials online. "
    You can disable it? HOW? :D
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @NekuSakuraba: 

No idea, but I'm guessing that you can find tutorials about it online. Given that the emulation scene for the Dreamcast is oddly big (not emulating the Dreamcast, but emulating on the Dreamcast (my only major experiences with a Dreamcast were with an NES emulator for it)), there should be some sites with this type of info.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By SeriouslyNow

You can't disable region lockout....you need to use pirated games to do that (which use loaders), unless you're talking about disc swap methods with the console being opened and they don't work on later revisions anyway (as is the case with the pirated games too in some cases).

Just buy a PAL console.  Almost every game got released in EU/Australia and those that came later were often region free.  Even those games which aren't (such as Japanese arcade ports from really late in the game) are often available elsewhere.  The best games from the DC peak period of 1999-2000 are all pretty easily purchased via ebay.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " You can't disable region lockout....you need to use pirated games to do that (which use loaders), unless you're talking about disc swap methods with the console being opened and they don't work on later revisions anyway (as is the case with the pirated games too in some cases).  Just buy a PAL console.  Almost every game got released in EU/Australia and those that came later were often region free.  Even those games which aren't (such as Japanese arcade ports from really late in the game) are often available elsewhere.  The best games from the DC peak period of 1999-2000 are all pretty easily purchased via ebay. "
    Are there cheap PAL version of Shenmue anywhere?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @NekuSakuraba:  Yeah, keep checking on ebay.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By agentboolen
    @NekuSakuraba:  At the moment Sega has only gotten around to Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi (best game ever!!!).  I'm betting Jet Set Radio is next, but your going to have to wait of course.  For the whole HD thing, well we got widescreen settings thats as good as it seems to get at this moment (use a dreamcast and you will have black bars playing on widescreen tv).
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Vorbis

Thanks for reminding me how great the Dreamcast was. Time to go cable hunting.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" @NekuSakuraba:  Yeah, keep checking on ebay. "

What you will get:
    1. Dreamon Volume 1 demos and movies (not pictured but inside dreamkey case)
    2. Dreamkey Browser
    3. Dreamcast Magazine Demo disc (NTSC)
    4. Trick style
    5. Conflict Zone
    6. Railroad tycoon II
    7. UEFA striker
    8. Power Stone
    9. Carrier
    10. Hydro Thunder
    11. Pen Pen
    12. Tokyo Highway challenge
    13. PSO Phantasy star online
    14. Alone in the Dark
    15. Vigalance 8 2nd offence
    16. Sega Rally 2
    17. Ready to Rumble 2 boxing
    18. Bleem! for GT2 Gran turismo (use this disc then add gt2 for playstation and it will emulate it with improved graphics!)  

I see no Shenmue there, is it a scam or something? =/ 
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By dagas

If you are going to buy a PAL Dreamcast then make sure your TV supports PAL. I brought my PAL DC from Sweden to Canada only to realize that the TVs over there had no SCART inputs so I had to get a S-VHS cable, but even then it was only in black and white. I had to get one of those VGA adapters and play DC on my PC monitor for it to work. Might work with TV's these days though, it's been a while since I lived in NA so I don't know if your TVs are capable of displaying PAL at this point. PAL TV's have been able to display NTSC since the early 90's. 

If you don't know what SCART is. From Wikipedia " In Europe, SCART is the most common method of connecting audio-visual equipment together, and has become a standard connector for such devices (even more so than the phono plug); it is far less common elsewhere in the world. Designed to carry analog standard-definition content, SCART is becoming obsolete with the introduction of new digital standards such asHDMI, which can carry high-definition content and multichannel audio. "

Avatar image for deactivated-5bce12b22bc03
    deactivated-5bce12b22bc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You absolutely NEED to play Skies of Arcadia. It can be really expensive on the Dreamcast, but my God is it worth it. Honestly, I've never played any JRPG like it. Sega will never release it on PSN, XBL or any Dreamcast collection because it's so horribly underrated.

Moral of the story: Never trust Sega.

stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stafax
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Video_Game_King said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    I remember that somebody was selling new ones, recently, somehow. As for regions, why bother? Just disable region lockout as soon as you can. I'm sure that there are tutorials online. "
    You can disable it? HOW? :D "
    You can't disable region lock on dreamcast because it's already region free. You can even burn games onto a blank cd and they will work without modding a dreamcast.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Sooty
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" @Ygg

@detectivepbert

said:

For $30? WHERE? "
    eBay :D 

The guy that sold it me was really awesome as well, the first disc didn't work and when I told him it wasn't scratched but still wouldn't boot he just said that some games refuse to load on certain Dreamcasts, he sent me another disc and that worked fine. I was really surprised I got it for that cheap especially as it looks brand new, well the cardboard sleeve was a bit beaten up but the other cases and discs are markless. I hate cardboard sleeves man. 

Don't listen to the haters, Shenmue is great! I highly recommend you pick up a VGA box too as they are quite cheap, $20-40 I would say on eBay. it makes it look better than a PS2 via component! 

Shenmue via VGA on a 42
     Shenmue via VGA on a 42" plasma
    @agentboolen said:
    " @NekuSakuraba:  At the moment Sega has only gotten around to Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi (best game ever!!!).  I'm betting Jet Set Radio is next, but your going to have to wait of course.  For the whole HD thing, well we got widescreen settings thats as good as it seems to get at this moment (use a dreamcast and you will have black bars playing on widescreen tv). "
    I don't have black bars on my TV with my Dreamcast, I just set it to 16:9 and for the most part every game so far has fit perfectly. Really impressive, if I ever feel like a game isn't filling the screen I just make use of cinema zoom, my TV has like 6 different levels so you can adjust it very well to get as much on the screen without having other areas drop off too much. 

Shenmue above there is without any cinema zoom though, just straight up 16:9 and it looks fine.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Ygg said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

" @Ygg

@detectivepbert

said:

For $30? WHERE? "

The guy that sold it me was really awesome as well, the first disc didn't work and when I told him it wasn't scratched but still wouldn't boot he just said that some games refuse to load on certain Dreamcasts, he sent me another disc and that worked fine. I was really surprised I got it for that cheap especially as it looks brand new, well the cardboard sleeve was a bit beaten up but the other cases and discs are markless. I hate cardboard sleeves man. 

Don't listen to the haters, Shenmue is great! I highly recommend you pick up a VGA box too as they are quite cheap, $20-40 I would say on eBay. it makes it look better than a PS2 via component! 

Shenmue via VGA on a 42
    @agentboolen said:
    " @NekuSakuraba:  At the moment Sega has only gotten around to Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi (best game ever!!!).  I'm betting Jet Set Radio is next, but your going to have to wait of course.  For the whole HD thing, well we got widescreen settings thats as good as it seems to get at this moment (use a dreamcast and you will have black bars playing on widescreen tv). "
    I don't have black bars on my TV with my Dreamcast, I just set it to 16:9 and for the most part every game so far has fit perfectly. Really impressive, if I ever feel like a game isn't filling the screen I just make use of cinema zoom, my TV has like 6 different levels so you can adjust it very well to get as much on the screen without having other areas drop off too much.  Shenmue above there is without any cinema zoom though, just straight up 16:9 and it looks fine. "
    That looks awesome! I can't find a Dreamcast or the games I was talking about on ebay that is a ridiculous price. Have you found one? I would appreciate if you have! ^__^
    ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShadowMountain
    @Smallerz said:
    " You absolutely NEED to play Skies of Arcadia. It can be really expensive on the Dreamcast, but my God is it worth it. Honestly, I've never played any JRPG like it. Sega will never release it on PSN, XBL or any Dreamcast collection because it's so horribly underrated.  Moral of the story: Never trust Sega. "
    Oh I don't know dude. I played the GC release and although I enjoyed it I could telll it was a game I'll only be able to go through once. The pacing is just too damn slow (encounter rate high and battles are slow paced). I'm not sure it holds up.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @stafax: 

Really? Shit! Do I need a special program to burn them on the disc, or just whatever Windows will offer me?
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By agentboolen
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" @Ygg said:

" @NekuSakuraba said:

" @Ygg

@detectivepbert

said:

For $30? WHERE? "

Shenmue via VGA on a 42
    @agentboolen said:
    I don't have black bars on my TV with my Dreamcast, I just set it to 16:9 and for the most part every game so far has fit perfectly. Really impressive, if I ever feel like a game isn't filling the screen I just make use of cinema zoom, my TV has like 6 different levels so you can adjust it very well to get as much on the screen without having other areas drop off too much.  Shenmue above there is without any cinema zoom though, just straight up 16:9 and it looks fine. "
    That looks awesome! I can't find a Dreamcast or the games I was talking about on ebay that is a ridiculous price. Have you found one? I would appreciate if you have! ^__^ "
    Nope your definitely stretching it.  Compare how wide your    Shenmue  is compared to how skinny he actually is in this picture.  If you think your picture looks better your probably watching old full screen tv shows stretched on a crappy HD channel like TBS.  I'd rather have bars then stretching IMO.  

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5bce12b22bc03
    deactivated-5bce12b22bc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShadowMountain:  I admit that it has it's fair share of shortcomings, as all games do, but if somebody was to play Skies of Arcadia now for the first time and couldn't look past those few shortcomings, then frankly it's at their own loss. As far as I'm concerned, it's a must-play for anybody interested in trying out Dreamcast games, and should be considered a classic regardless of how well it holds up today!
    stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By stafax
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @stafax:   Really? Shit! Do I need a special program to burn them on the disc, or just whatever Windows will offer me? "
    When I use to burn games back in like 2003, I used Padus DiscJuggler because that was the format used back then. But also back then, I downloaded the games from IRC channels. Pretty sure you can find the dreamcast games on torrent sites these days.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @stafax: 

I have no problem getting the games, but my problem is running them, since my computer is shit. I'll probably end up using what the various tutorials I've seen tell me to use.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By MooseyMcMan

It's totally worth it. Not for playing Shenmue (because despite it being a classic, and loved by many (including myself), it's not really that good of a game). But owning a Dreamcast and Shenmue is worth it just so you can say you have a Dreamcast and Shenmue. 

Also, you should be able to find Shenmue for a reasonably price if you look around. I got it for $15 a few years ago (which I think was well worth it, considering its length and status as a classic). 

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By FlyingRat

But.... But.... I told you no such thing.... Why are you yelling at me? I agree with you. I wish it contained those games too.

Still might buy it anyway though.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By yakov456

Is Shenmue priced that high now? I remember years ago stores were practically giving away their extra copies. But it's funny, I'm actually playing through it for probably the sixth time, and I still love it. Give it to me on the ps3.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By buzz_clik
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37  Edited By jakob187
    @TooWalrus said:
    " They're never going to release the games you were talking about, they just weren't mainstream enough. Buy a Dreamcast. "
    I'm pretty sure Sega stated they would specifically be releasing those in order to both combat against high prices on eBay and such as well as just to get interest in the franchises to see what they can relaunch. 

@NekuSakuraba:  Here are some Dreamcasts.  Here are copies of Shenmue.  Don't know if any of that helps or not.
    ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By ColinWright

Shenmue is not good. You're not missing anything.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By niamahai

Dynamite Deka 2 or was it called Die Hard Arcade 2 in the US.

if you are gonna make a DC collection, they should've put some terrible games in it just for the lulz

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By jakob187

When it comes down to it, the best thing on Dreamcast is still Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By agentboolen
    @niamahai said:
    " Dynamite Deka 2 or was it called Die Hard Arcade 2 in the US.  if you are gonna make a DC collection, they should've put some terrible games in it just for the lulz "
    What are you kidding?!?!  Dynamite Deka 2 (which was called Dynamite Cop in the US), was great!  It still till this day is the most fun I have had with a 3d Final Fight style game.  Not to mention it had one of the most classic story plots ever, save the presidents daughter.  The game has classic written all over it, if you can't appreciate it its your loss.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By toowalrus
    @jakob187 said:
    " @TooWalrus said:
    " They're never going to release the games you were talking about, they just weren't mainstream enough. Buy a Dreamcast. "
    I'm pretty sure Sega stated they would specifically be releasing those in order to both combat against high prices on eBay and such as well as just to get interest in the franchises to see what they can relaunch. 

@NekuSakuraba:  Here are some Dreamcasts.  Here are copies of Shenmue.  Don't know if any of that helps or not. "
    Well, that's good news. Oh, glad to see you're back to Viewtiful Joe.
    GeedAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GeedAwesome

Best thing I did DC wise is that when it went downhill, I started buying every game at cheap ass prices I could. Buy one now and revel in the greatness.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.