"PS Plus Edition": what is it, exactly?

#1 Posted by cloudymusic (1109 posts) -

At their press conference last night, Sony announced that all PlayStation Plus subscribers would be getting "Driveclub: PS Plus Edition" for free on day 1 of the PS4. I've seen a lot of people who seem to believe that this refers to the full version of the game; however, Sony's specific use of the subtitle "PS Plus Edition" makes it sound as though this is a distinct, and potentially, much more limited, product. Sony's official press release is pretty vague about the topic, though it seems to be somewhat hinting that the PSPE is some sort of subset of what the real game will offer:

To celebrate the support of PS Plus on the PS4 system, SCEA will offer the #DRIVECLUB PS Plus Edition to PS Plus members which delivers all the authenticity and immersion users would expect from the full #DRIVECLUB experience, in the Instant Game Collection.

Is there any confirmed information out there about what the "PS+ Edition" of the game actually is?

#2 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

Probably a very limited version of the game to get people into the social elements and incentivize them to make the 60 dollar purchase.

#3 Posted by posh (488 posts) -

something like "lite" versions of apps and games on the iOS app store i guess, with all the free-to-play conventions

#4 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

@posh said:

something like "lite" versions of apps and games on the iOS app store i guess, with all the free-to-play conventions

This.

#5 Posted by djou (875 posts) -

I imagine that the online multiplayer features for this game will be behind the PS+ paywall. So I'm guessing that this is what it is. Maybe it will be a GoW: Judgement situation where certain game servers will be walled off to people with that edition. They could get queue priority, or whatever. Access to specific tracks, mobile integration, other cosmetic perks.

#6 Posted by ahgunsillyo (450 posts) -
#7 Posted by Kidavenger (3546 posts) -

My guess is they will include 1-3 cars and 3-4 tracks, you'll have to buy other cars and tracks if you want them.

#8 Edited by djou (875 posts) -

@ahgunsillyo: Yeah, that's true, but who knows when that multiplayer stuff was decided. Could have been the day of for all anyone knows. However, the branding of Driveclub, PS+ edition was probably in the works for a while. I'm hoping it will be some beta type situation. I suspect this will be a launch game. Maybe all plus subscribers can get a demo with access to a multiplayer track with the launch console? Sony lets people drive one track with a few cars to entice them to buy the whole package.

#9 Edited by cloudymusic (1109 posts) -

OK, Shuhei Yoshida just posted this:

To answer FAQ, Driveclub PS Plus edition will have all great online features of Driveclub but with subset of contents (cars, tracks, etc).

#10 Posted by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

They wanted a PS4 game to give to the PS+ Instant Collection at launch, but it wouldn't really make sense to give the full brand new game out for "free." Makes sense.

#11 Posted by isomeri (1274 posts) -

Probably similar to the free version of Killer Instinct. The core game is there but you will have to buy almost all of the content separately

#12 Posted by Cameron (599 posts) -

Wow, that's super shitty. I assumed it was a version with more content. The whole point of the instant game collection is to give people an incentive to buy the hardware and PS+ by giving them something to play on it. The three free games they offer for the Vita was what pushed me over the edge to get one of those. I don't want to pay for a glorified demo, that's the kind of thing that should be free for everyone.

#13 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2160 posts) -

@cameron: Sony spends millions upon millions on game, then gives it out for free on launch, with more features than the version people paid $60 for?

#14 Edited by alternate (2702 posts) -

@cameron: I would expect more glorified demos. PS4 will gave no back catalog to draw from at launch so it will be a while before they can give away access to full games.

#15 Posted by Cameron (599 posts) -

@cameron: Sony spends millions upon millions on game, then gives it out for free on launch, with more features than the version people paid $60 for?

Admittedly expecting more was probably a little silly, but I was thinking it was the full game at least. The idea is that no one would pay $60 for it and would instead spend the money on PS+ to get it free. Once they are in they aren't going anywhere and Sony makes $50 a year off of them for the next decade or so. Driveclub is not a system seller (it's not Gran Turismo), but it would probably be enough to incentivize people buy PS+ along with their PS4. A free game at launch is also something that might sway a potential buyer who already pays for PS+ toward the PS4 and away from the Xbox One.

@alternate If they give away first-party games then they don't have to wait. They own those games and they can do what they want with them. Being able to advertise on the box that you can get a game for free right now if you sign up for PS+ and many more in the future would be a big selling point for the console and the service. It would demonstrate the value of PS+, especially compared to Xbox Live where you get nothing for your money.

#16 Posted by alternate (2702 posts) -

@cameron: They also have to make money on those first party titles. Drive Club is first party and they are giving you a demo of it. Any full games in the first 6 months are likely to be limited to PSN.

#17 Edited by Fattony12000 (7407 posts) -

@keres:

At E3 2013 Sony announced that there will be a special edition of Driveclub which will be free for PlayStation Plus subscribers. The PlayStation Plus edition will have the same mechanics featured in the retail game and the ability to obtain the Platinum trophy, but a limited selection of cars and tracks.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driveclub

Recently released time-lapse video, 476 MB version here.

1. If you’d like to see a version of the video with significantly higher image quality than shown on YouTube (and a closer representation of how the game looks on PS4), you’ll be able to download the 1080p video online soon.
  2. The time of day is accelerated by x60, which is why the video covers from 6pm – 9pm in Chile in just three laps. Accelerating the speed of time is something you can choose to adjust before you race and it’s also why the sunlight disappears so quickly at 1:58.
  3. Design Director Paul Rustchynksy is the driver. He’s using a Thrustmaster “T80 DRIVECLUB Edition” wheel, which explains why his last lap (in first person racing view) is the fastest.
  4. The video was captured in one take from a version of the game still in development. Optimisations to the visual quality of the game are made every day, so while there are lots of impressive details on show you may also spot some things we’re still working on – like improving the anti-aliasing for certain assets and making sure that nothing pops in to view.
  5. We decided to show this time trial event with on-screen display disabled, because lots of people wanted to see this and it’s something you can choose to configure in the game. We noticed that when we did this, the game still plays the sound effects for Overdrives, so we’re fixing this.
  6. Not only do we model every car in staggering detail inside and out, we go to great lengths with the environments too. Check out the observatory tower at 1:47 and 2:37!
  7. The way that we have captured each car’s distinctive audio is evident here because we’ve disabled the in-game soundtrack music, but we’ve actually just made further improvements to the quality of the audio in the game today (and fixed the backfire so that you can hear it properly on the Audi R8 V10 Plus), so it’s still getting better.
  8. All lights illuminate the environment authentically. The dashboard fully illuminates, so you can see the glow of the buttons in the control panel above the rear-view mirror and you can see the reflections in the windscreen and the driver’s window. Similarly, you’ll notice that the brake light illuminates the car’s active spoiler in the first two laps. Hopefully this will draw your eye away from the glitch with the car’s tyre smoke (which is missing) and excessive anti-aliasing on the Audi’s bevelled rear window frame… which we are of course still developing.
  9. The reflector lights (cats eyes/snake eyes) on the safety barriers surrounding the track reflect light authentically too. You can see this most clearly at 02:30.
  10. Ghost cars (and opponent cars) are all fully realised in the rear-view mirrors, but there’s currently a small glitch that makes them render incorrectly when the sun goes down. This will be improved by launch.
  11. The crowds release balloons throughout the race. The balloons should react authentically to the wind and light up correctly at night – and appear less frequently too – but the game is still in development after all.
  12. There’s a tiny portal to another dimension (aka a glitch in the world) at 0:32. We’ve fixed it in the game already.
  13. The sky is clear of clouds so that you can see the stars twinkling up above. This won’t always be the case; you can choose how clear or cloudy the sky is when you set-up a race and it will be uniquely generated every time. On the occasions when the fog rolls in and you can only see the tips of those mountains in the distance… and the cars in front are casting long shadows towards you as the sun rises or sets on the horizon… and you’re breezing through it all 150mph… it’s utterly sensational!

From http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/09/13/new-driveclub-video-shows-daynight-transition/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.