Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Driveclub

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 07, 2014

Driveclub is a team-based racing game from Evolution Studios for PlayStation 4.

"PS Plus Edition": what is it, exactly?

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

At their press conference last night, Sony announced that all PlayStation Plus subscribers would be getting "Driveclub: PS Plus Edition" for free on day 1 of the PS4. I've seen a lot of people who seem to believe that this refers to the full version of the game; however, Sony's specific use of the subtitle "PS Plus Edition" makes it sound as though this is a distinct, and potentially, much more limited, product. Sony's official press release is pretty vague about the topic, though it seems to be somewhat hinting that the PSPE is some sort of subset of what the real game will offer:

To celebrate the support of PS Plus on the PS4 system, SCEA will offer the #DRIVECLUB PS Plus Edition to PS Plus members which delivers all the authenticity and immersion users would expect from the full #DRIVECLUB experience, in the Instant Game Collection.

Is there any confirmed information out there about what the "PS+ Edition" of the game actually is?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Probably a very limited version of the game to get people into the social elements and incentivize them to make the 60 dollar purchase.

posh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

something like "lite" versions of apps and games on the iOS app store i guess, with all the free-to-play conventions

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@posh said:

something like "lite" versions of apps and games on the iOS app store i guess, with all the free-to-play conventions

This.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine that the online multiplayer features for this game will be behind the PS+ paywall. So I'm guessing that this is what it is. Maybe it will be a GoW: Judgement situation where certain game servers will be walled off to people with that edition. They could get queue priority, or whatever. Access to specific tracks, mobile integration, other cosmetic perks.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

My guess is they will include 1-3 cars and 3-4 tracks, you'll have to buy other cars and tracks if you want them.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By djou

@ahgunsillyo: Yeah, that's true, but who knows when that multiplayer stuff was decided. Could have been the day of for all anyone knows. However, the branding of Driveclub, PS+ edition was probably in the works for a while. I'm hoping it will be some beta type situation. I suspect this will be a launch game. Maybe all plus subscribers can get a demo with access to a multiplayer track with the launch console? Sony lets people drive one track with a few cars to entice them to buy the whole package.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cloudymusic

OK, Shuhei Yoshida just posted this:

To answer FAQ, Driveclub PS Plus edition will have all great online features of Driveclub but with subset of contents (cars, tracks, etc).

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They wanted a PS4 game to give to the PS+ Instant Collection at launch, but it wouldn't really make sense to give the full brand new game out for "free." Makes sense.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Probably similar to the free version of Killer Instinct. The core game is there but you will have to buy almost all of the content separately

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Wow, that's super shitty. I assumed it was a version with more content. The whole point of the instant game collection is to give people an incentive to buy the hardware and PS+ by giving them something to play on it. The three free games they offer for the Vita was what pushed me over the edge to get one of those. I don't want to pay for a glorified demo, that's the kind of thing that should be free for everyone.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@cameron: Sony spends millions upon millions on game, then gives it out for free on launch, with more features than the version people paid $60 for?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By alternate

@cameron: I would expect more glorified demos. PS4 will gave no back catalog to draw from at launch so it will be a while before they can give away access to full games.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron: Sony spends millions upon millions on game, then gives it out for free on launch, with more features than the version people paid $60 for?

Admittedly expecting more was probably a little silly, but I was thinking it was the full game at least. The idea is that no one would pay $60 for it and would instead spend the money on PS+ to get it free. Once they are in they aren't going anywhere and Sony makes $50 a year off of them for the next decade or so. Driveclub is not a system seller (it's not Gran Turismo), but it would probably be enough to incentivize people buy PS+ along with their PS4. A free game at launch is also something that might sway a potential buyer who already pays for PS+ toward the PS4 and away from the Xbox One.

@alternate If they give away first-party games then they don't have to wait. They own those games and they can do what they want with them. Being able to advertise on the box that you can get a game for free right now if you sign up for PS+ and many more in the future would be a big selling point for the console and the service. It would demonstrate the value of PS+, especially compared to Xbox Live where you get nothing for your money.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron: They also have to make money on those first party titles. Drive Club is first party and they are giving you a demo of it. Any full games in the first 6 months are likely to be limited to PSN.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fattony12000

@keres:

At E3 2013 Sony announced that there will be a special edition of Driveclub which will be free for PlayStation Plus subscribers. The PlayStation Plus edition will have the same mechanics featured in the retail game and the ability to obtain the Platinum trophy, but a limited selection of cars and tracks.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driveclub

Recently released time-lapse video, 476 MB version here.

Loading Video...
    1. If you’d like to see a version of the video with significantly higher image quality than shown on YouTube (and a closer representation of how the game looks on PS4), you’ll be able to download the 1080p video online soon.
    2. The time of day is accelerated by x60, which is why the video covers from 6pm – 9pm in Chile in just three laps. Accelerating the speed of time is something you can choose to adjust before you race and it’s also why the sunlight disappears so quickly at 1:58.
    3. Design Director Paul Rustchynksy is the driver. He’s using a Thrustmaster “T80 DRIVECLUB Edition” wheel, which explains why his last lap (in first person racing view) is the fastest.
    4. The video was captured in one take from a version of the game still in development. Optimisations to the visual quality of the game are made every day, so while there are lots of impressive details on show you may also spot some things we’re still working on – like improving the anti-aliasing for certain assets and making sure that nothing pops in to view.
    5. We decided to show this time trial event with on-screen display disabled, because lots of people wanted to see this and it’s something you can choose to configure in the game. We noticed that when we did this, the game still plays the sound effects for Overdrives, so we’re fixing this.
    6. Not only do we model every car in staggering detail inside and out, we go to great lengths with the environments too. Check out the observatory tower at 1:47 and 2:37!
    7. The way that we have captured each car’s distinctive audio is evident here because we’ve disabled the in-game soundtrack music, but we’ve actually just made further improvements to the quality of the audio in the game today (and fixed the backfire so that you can hear it properly on the Audi R8 V10 Plus), so it’s still getting better.
    8. All lights illuminate the environment authentically. The dashboard fully illuminates, so you can see the glow of the buttons in the control panel above the rear-view mirror and you can see the reflections in the windscreen and the driver’s window. Similarly, you’ll notice that the brake light illuminates the car’s active spoiler in the first two laps. Hopefully this will draw your eye away from the glitch with the car’s tyre smoke (which is missing) and excessive anti-aliasing on the Audi’s bevelled rear window frame… which we are of course still developing.
    9. The reflector lights (cats eyes/snake eyes) on the safety barriers surrounding the track reflect light authentically too. You can see this most clearly at 02:30.
    10. Ghost cars (and opponent cars) are all fully realised in the rear-view mirrors, but there’s currently a small glitch that makes them render incorrectly when the sun goes down. This will be improved by launch.
    11. The crowds release balloons throughout the race. The balloons should react authentically to the wind and light up correctly at night – and appear less frequently too – but the game is still in development after all.
    12. There’s a tiny portal to another dimension (aka a glitch in the world) at 0:32. We’ve fixed it in the game already.
    13. The sky is clear of clouds so that you can see the stars twinkling up above. This won’t always be the case; you can choose how clear or cloudy the sky is when you set-up a race and it will be uniquely generated every time. On the occasions when the fog rolls in and you can only see the tips of those mountains in the distance… and the cars in front are casting long shadows towards you as the sun rises or sets on the horizon… and you’re breezing through it all 150mph… it’s utterly sensational!

From http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/09/13/new-driveclub-video-shows-daynight-transition/

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

So, uh, does anyone know when this drops on PSN? Is it alongside the full game, or does it come with the other ps+ stuff tomorrow?

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't seem to find the Plus version of this anywhere on the store...why?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't seem to find the Plus version of this anywhere on the store...why?

Ditto for me as well as the other PS Plus freebies for October. I thought today was the day for all that shit and it's my birthday today too, goddamn it Sony!

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ottoman673: The free PS+ version will go up when the store updates, so 4ish hours from now maybe? the US store is pretty inconsistent.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the fact that you can earn the platinum trophy in the PS+ Edition is pretty telling.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have read that the PSN store updates around 3pm PST, but I think the actual update time varies pretty wildly. I was hoping to sneak in some Driveclub this morning but it'll probably be later this afternoon at the earliest before it actually goes up.

AMDman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like the store has updated. Vib-Ribbon is up and all the October Plus deals are visible but no PS+ Driveclub...

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

yea, I have been wondering the same thing... the $60 version of Driveclub is in the store but I've searched high and low and can seem to find the PS+ version...

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The store is being weird and it's nowhere to be found, however I did find a splash screen earlier that said something like this:

Unlimited access to 11 courses in India and 10 cars for your garage.

That's only paraphrasing but that's what it said on the broken splash screen I found I have no idea what it means.

AMDman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update: The discounted $50 version for PS+ subscribers is now live, but still no free version

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, PS Plus edition is nowhere to be found. All other October deals appear to be live.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Every hour they hold off increases the chance for desperate people to buy it and for them to make a bit of money back.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i get why they would hold it off but it doesn't make me feel warm inside.

lame

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It could be the jaded side of me but average reviews make me feel like they are squeezing every possible sale out of this that they can. Store has been updated and nothing yet.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably a very limited version of the game to get people into the social elements and incentivize them to make the 60 dollar purchase.

thats what i took from it. a neutered version of the real game so basicly a glorified demo

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I recall reading somewhere it's something like 10 cars and 8-10 tracks that you can play? To be fair that is much more than any demo would give you and for someone like me who wouldn't touch the game othwrwise may give it a go

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Well... Sony just updated the Playstation store and... no mention of the PS+ Drive Club at all. All of the other PS+ games are available except Drive Club.

Maybe they forgot?

AMDman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AMDman

Another Update: $60 version is now showing "Not available for purchase" on PSN. Perhaps they're working on updating the listing to include the free PS+ version??

AMDman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$60 version is back. Maybe it'll go up with the EU PSN update...

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Even if it is eventually free, Jeff's review and the quick look didn't leave much to desired. Won't be rushing to download it haha.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to be able to download the free PS+ version but the way the store has this is making me super confused. Is it even up or what?...

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to be able to download the free PS+ version but the way the store has this is making me super confused. Is it even up or what?...

The PS+ version has been delayed until they can get the servers working properly for the people who bought it.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Getz
    L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.