Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke: Nuclear Winter

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Dec 30, 1997

Simply Silly Software's sole professional release and the most frequently criticized of the major Duke Nukem 3D expansion packs.

Wow, this one shot up in value

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By roushimsx

I was just checking eBay for any nice Duke Nukem collectibles (been wanting to possibly go back and buy all of the action figures) and I stumbled on a completed auction of Duke: Nuclear Winter. For a disc only copy, it moved at $65/shipped. That's insane, especially considering:

1. It was only $20 when it came out
    2. It's widely regarded to be a pretty substandard expansion pack, especially in comparison to Duke Caribbean and Duke it Out in D.C.
    Man, I still have the box and everything sitting in a storage bin somewhere. If I wasn't so totally gay for teh Duke, I'd be half tempted to throw it up on the 'bay.

Anyone else trudge through this expansion? I remember being really disappointed by the first two levels (recycled from E1M2 and E1M1) and the original levels weren't all that much better (I don't believe I've ever been able to  legitimately complete the second to last level; I've always had to exploit bugs in the map to move between sectors).

I remember the day I picked this and Duke Caribbean up, I had the choice between the two Duke expansions or picking up a loose copy of Secret of Mana and Panzer Dragoon. In retrospect, I think I made the right call (especially as I was able to pick up both of those other games for much cheaper later on), but for a while I was kicking myself in the pants. I mean, Duke Caribbean is the bee's knees, don't get me wrong, but Nuclear Winter put such a nasty, sour taste in my mouth at the time. Well that and Secret of Mana shot up in value for a while not long afterwards.

While it wasn't a very good expansion, if 3D Realms ever got the rights from Sunstorm to put it up on XBLA as DLC for Duke Nukem 3D, I'd totally buy it all over again along with Duke it Out in D.C. and Duke Caribbean.
    BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Yeah, and this is a weak addon

Im a HUGE Duke3D fan, but the only one of these addons I liked was Duke Caribbean

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By roushimsx
    BlackWaterCO said:
    "Im a HUGE Duke3D fan, but the only one of these addons I liked was Duke Caribbean"
    Woah, you didn't like Duke it Out in D.C.? I loved that one! I know a lot of people gripe about the Smithsonian, but that was one of my favorite levels. :(
    BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BlackWaterCO

I liked Duke it out DC alot, but Caribbean was sooooo rad :P that it just made the other ones look less polished

BTW, roushim, those are some GOOD articles you did for the addons :) (as in the wiki edits)

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By roushimsx
    BlackWaterCO said:
    "I liked Duke it out DC alot, but Caribbean was sooooo rad :P that it just made the other ones look less polished

BTW, roushim, those are some GOOD articles you did for the addons :) (as in the wiki edits)"
    Thanks! I was trying to work on a series of entries on mid 90s first person shooter expansion packs, but I sort of ran out of steam once I realized that I'd have to suffer through two Shadow Warrior expansions that I had zero desire to play at that point (I really do not like Shadow Warrior). Still have to go back and work on the Blood expansions a bit more and spend some quality time on the Redneck Rampage and Sucking Grits on Route 66 entries. They're totally on the backburner until I finally do the Powerslave entries (almost done with the PC version...should have both entries done by the middle of December!).

Wish I could find more of my cases/boxes to scan in. Dissolution of Eternity and Duke Nuclear Winter could use some high res cover art.. :(

Duke Caribbean really was the bee's knees. Market Melee and Mr. Splashy's just can not get enough love and Lost Lagoon did not fuck around in the slightest. Charlie Weiderhold and Robert Travis were a mean team when it came to kicking out some awesome Build engine stuff.
    BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BlackWaterCO

I just did the cover arts for you, check the pages :)

ANYWAY

Tell me, did you play Blood II? that game gets NO love...

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By roushimsx
    BlackWaterCO said:
    "Tell me, did you play Blood II? that game gets NO love..."
    Rad, thanks for taking care of that. I'll still try to dig up my stuff to scan it in anyway at some point, though. I'm sure there's someone out there that'd find a 300dpi scan of the cover useful for something or other (at least, I hope so) :) (edit - d'oh, Nuclear Winter has a MobyGames watermark on it :( )

Never did really care for Blood II. It was such a buggy mess and I found it really underwhelming (though I thought that the demo wasn't half bad). I haven't tried to play it in the last 6 years or so, so I'll probably give it another shot sometime in the near future. Beyond that game, I really love Monolith's work. Still have to play Condemned 2 as well, but I was holding out for the longest time in the hopes that there'd be a PC port. Finally caved in and picked it up on PS3 this month, though.
    BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BlackWaterCO

So im guessing your looking at F.E.A.R. 2 then correct?

Hey do you own or played Rise of the Triad?

Also...Are we the only old skool shooter fans on GiantBomb?

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By roushimsx
    BlackWaterCO said:
    "So im guessing your looking at F.E.A.R. 2 then correct?

Hey do you own or played Rise of the Triad?

Also...Are we the only old skool shooter fans on GiantBomb?"
    Oh hell yea, I'm totally looking forward to FEAR 2. I really hope this better bridges the gap between FEAR and Shogo (which was hinted at a bit in the first game but is a bit more apparent from some of the promotional materials they've released thus far). Really, really jazzed for it.

I could have sworn that I had a copy of Rise of the Triad around here somewhere, but it doesn't look like I do. Might have to hit eBay up for a copy sometime...that one was fun as hell multiplayer back in the day, though the random level generator wasn't all it was hyped up to be. Many fond memories of that sucker, though I'm curious how it's aged (probably not nearly as well as Duke Nukem 3D or Doom).

There's probably some other older PC game fans around here hiding in the woodwork. Call it a hunch, but I'm pretty sure Risseless still loves his old PC games and SuperMooseman loves those point and click adventure games. I've been trying to get some buddies to join up and start editing, but they just haven't got the time to devote to it :(  Shame, because I think they'd really be able to greatly flesh out some areas that are a bit lacking right now.

I still need to finish up playing Explosive Racing so that I can flesh out the article and upload the pictures. Gotta double check for differences between the Japanese and European releases other than the title screen image, too. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.