Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

A dark walk into a bright future.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By The_Nubster

Duke was introduced to me at a very young age, and he's been responsible for many a-things in my life. All in one afternoon, Duke was my first boobies, my first FPS, my first PC game, and my first swear words. Me and my brother, my friends, we all had a special relationship with the Duke. Sure, we didn't understand why he was named Duke Nukem. Literally every single reference went over our heads, and we never got around to beating it. Duke 3D was truly special to me as a child, and I'll never forgot the find memories I have for it. 

It's no surprise that I was waiting for DNF to come out, with my past. But was I waiting on pins and needles? Was I at the edge of my seat? Hell no, I was barely awake. This game was condemned to vaporware, and when Gearbox picked it up, it was condemned to be terrible. There was no way a game fourteen years in the making was going to stand up to modern expectations or gameplay mechanics. As Mr. Gerstmann has pointed out, many things in Duke have been taken out of FPS games for a reason, and it all feels dated. DNF isn't bad simply because it's old, but because it has been passed through so many hands. It controls poorly, Duke himself isn't funny, the animations are awkward and stiff, and huge swaths of music are missing at certain parts of the game.  

Despite all of this, I'm very excited for Duke's future. What people don't acknowledge about this game often enough is the fact that Gearbox had no hand in making the actual content of this game; they were stuck with this stinker and had to slap a new layer of graphics on it and toss it out the door. It's clear, though, that everything Gearbox touched is superior, and this is especially evident in the load screens. Such gems as "Picking a turd from the toilet won't take away your ego even though we really wanted it to" and "Remember, if you get stuck, you can always cheat by looking up a FAQ online" show that Gearbox does care for the franchise. 

The future of Duke is bright, there's no question. Gearbox has never let me down, giving me wonderful Half-Life expansions, fantastic WW2 experiences with Brothers in Arms, and occupying hours and hours of my time with Borderlands. There is not a doubt in my mind that the Duke of the future will be funny, modern and relevant. What we have now is a relic, a spitshined dookie. But what lies ahead? I trust in Gearbox to tell me.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By The_Nubster

Duke was introduced to me at a very young age, and he's been responsible for many a-things in my life. All in one afternoon, Duke was my first boobies, my first FPS, my first PC game, and my first swear words. Me and my brother, my friends, we all had a special relationship with the Duke. Sure, we didn't understand why he was named Duke Nukem. Literally every single reference went over our heads, and we never got around to beating it. Duke 3D was truly special to me as a child, and I'll never forgot the find memories I have for it. 

It's no surprise that I was waiting for DNF to come out, with my past. But was I waiting on pins and needles? Was I at the edge of my seat? Hell no, I was barely awake. This game was condemned to vaporware, and when Gearbox picked it up, it was condemned to be terrible. There was no way a game fourteen years in the making was going to stand up to modern expectations or gameplay mechanics. As Mr. Gerstmann has pointed out, many things in Duke have been taken out of FPS games for a reason, and it all feels dated. DNF isn't bad simply because it's old, but because it has been passed through so many hands. It controls poorly, Duke himself isn't funny, the animations are awkward and stiff, and huge swaths of music are missing at certain parts of the game.  

Despite all of this, I'm very excited for Duke's future. What people don't acknowledge about this game often enough is the fact that Gearbox had no hand in making the actual content of this game; they were stuck with this stinker and had to slap a new layer of graphics on it and toss it out the door. It's clear, though, that everything Gearbox touched is superior, and this is especially evident in the load screens. Such gems as "Picking a turd from the toilet won't take away your ego even though we really wanted it to" and "Remember, if you get stuck, you can always cheat by looking up a FAQ online" show that Gearbox does care for the franchise. 

The future of Duke is bright, there's no question. Gearbox has never let me down, giving me wonderful Half-Life expansions, fantastic WW2 experiences with Brothers in Arms, and occupying hours and hours of my time with Borderlands. There is not a doubt in my mind that the Duke of the future will be funny, modern and relevant. What we have now is a relic, a spitshined dookie. But what lies ahead? I trust in Gearbox to tell me.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thehexeditor

I shed a single manly tear at your speech.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Yanngc33

Epic title, good post

aldo_q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By aldo_q

I really hope the future for Duke is bright. But I do hope they won't just turn it into a Call of Duty under the guise of 'Modernising' it and then slapping Duke on it. Some of those 'outdated' things are kind of nice if they are well executed.

I believe Randy of Gearbox actually said he didn't change it. He doesn't think this Duke is the Duke he wanted to see. But he respected the original vision and wanted to keep it in fact for this release.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Nubster
    @aldo_q said:

I really hope the future for Duke is bright. But I do hope they won't just turn it into a Call of Duty under the guise of 'Modernising' it and then slapping Duke on it. Some of those 'outdated' things are kind of nice if they are well executed.

I believe Randy of Gearbox actually said he didn't change it. He doesn't think this Duke is the Duke he wanted to see. But he respected the original vision and wanted to keep it in fact for this release.

I hope he brings back legitimate health bars, since most other Gearbox games have had them. That's an old FPS thing that I really, really miss. The ability to hold more than two weapons was also sorely missed while playing this game. 

It's good that he kept Duke as he was for this release. I think people would be pretty outraged if they changed it, since a lot of people have been waiting a very long time for this game. If he did say this, then the world doesn't have to fear more Duke from Gearbox. They can embrace it!
    aldo_q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By aldo_q

"For my part, I've approached it in a few ways. First off I own Duke, so I could do whatever I wanted. I could put him in a tutu, but I had a duty to the game: we've been waiting to play duke nukem forever all this time. We need to play the game its supposed to be. We need to play the game that is the vision of 3d realms. We need to play their Duke Nukem Forever, not my Duke Nukem Forever. I'll have plenty of time to play in the space and take it in a new direction if I want. But for this one, well, we certainly don't want to get in there and turn it into something it was never ment to be." -Randy Pitchford President and CEO, Gearbox software.

Taken from; History, Legacy & Legend: Duke Nukem Forever art from the vaults (included in the balls of steel edition)

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @aldo_q said:

dude, this is gearbox, I highly doubt they will start biting off CoD. All their shooters are unique and if they pursue the duke franchise they will make it a good shooter. Not sure about it's "humour", but the shooting will be fun. 
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seedofpower

Nice read. I hope they take him in another direction and one that makes the character actually likable in some way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.