Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

"The Truth" about Duke Nukem Forever's re-emerge

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By tmthomsen
    http://talkinrealatyou.blogspot.com/2010/09/ride-continues.html

Interesting read. According to this guy, Gearbox isn't telling the truth about Duke Nukem Forever's rise from the dead. Apparently the laid off 3D Realms guys continued development long after the project went "on hold" and actually finished the PC version before Gearbox picked it up.

If this is all true, I think it's somewhat pathetic of Gearbox to claim the fame when all they did was porting it to Xbox 360 and PS3. Keep in mind that 2K Games is a subdivision of Take-Two, so the game has always been in the same publisher's hands.

What do you think of this?
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By borodin

I think it's probably sour grapes - bottom line, who are you going to believe, some blogger giving testimony from people who squandered over a decade on developing the game (no but honestly! this time it was finished!!!!!) or Gearbox, you know, who've actually released games slightly ahead of glacial shifts. Not to mention the fact if it were actually finished  *before* 2009, why isn't out already? Let alone needing polishing time even now, and being released next year?

Twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Twazuk

Didn't they actually say on many occasions that they have a bunch of guys from 3D Realms working for them now? And didn't they also say the game was mostly finished and they're mostly polishing it for release? 
    This doesn't sound like they're taking anyones fame.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Red12b
    @borodin said:

" I think it's probably sour grapes - bottom line, who are you going to believe, some blogger giving testimony from people who squandered over a decade on developing the game "

Mmm,  

Sad to say but even though it was honourable to continue development on the game, they still had a decade A DECADE to get it done, JFK gave your country a goal of less than a decade to get to the fricken moon, THE MOOON!  

if they can't finish a fucking game in that time then they deserve to lose the kudos, I'm sorry if that makes you sour, but that's how I feel, 

I am looking forward to the game, but it won't be the end all, Hopefully it will be good, I always liked the fully realised world, (Usable objects, love em.) 
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By borodin
    @Red12b: errrrr, that's what I was saying? It was sour grapes on the part of the ex 3DR guys? I'm confused
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Red12b
    @borodin:  
    yeah? I know... I was agreeing with you, and I just put in my two cents, I usually put Mmm or yep instead of the more generic "This"  

Try to keep things fresh and all that jazz.
    rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rawrz

Im just happy to see this game is finally getting released. Even if it comes out to being average at best that will be an acomplishment since with the history of this game, it should be a trainwreck of a game.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By borodin
    @Red12b said:
    " I'm sorry if that makes you sour, but that's how I feel, "
    lol sorry you totally threw me off with that, didn't see who else you could be talking to! my bad!
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Red12b
    @borodin:  
    Heh, that's understandable dude. Don't be, s'all good, Maybe I could be more clear, I should have had a page break or something, I'll edit my post, see if it makes a difference, 
    Xakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Xakura
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tmthomsen
    @borodin:  Triptych only consists of just 10 guys, so I guess that's why it isn't out yet.
    @Twazuk:  Randy Pitchfork told Kotaku (I believe) that DNF is now a Gearbox game. I would call that a claim of fame, but whatever. He seems very interested in the project and I guess that all that counts.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By borodin
    @TMThomsen: ok, so 10 guys? How long would it have taken them to do the work its taken/going to take (a year and a half? two years?) Gearbox to finish it? Answer, a long fucking time. So how can they claim it was finished? You see the discrepancy? 
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tmthomsen
    @borodin: The game was rumored to be very close to completion at the time 3D Realms broke down (was only missing two levels according to the leaked spreadsheets), so I can easily imagine 10 guys finishing up the last parts in 6 months. I'm not saying Gearbox isn't doing anything. I think they're a great assistance in QA and polishing the game to perfection.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By borodin
    @TMThomsen: O.k. here's where I'm at 
    People who have strung along investors, media and fans for 14 years are (in your words) rumoured, rumoured to be "close" to completing Forever. Gearbox steps in in 09, and the release date is 2011. To me, that's black and white, the game wasn't "nearly done" it needed 2 years work by a full studio - so for 10 guys to stand up and say, hey, you're stealing all the credit, is borderline pathetic - as IF anyone EVER is going to forget this whole mess is a 3D realms joint. I mean has Randy Pitchford stepped up and said "We're going to expunge all those peopls names from the credits" ? No, he hasn't.   

If you're saying those 10 guys could have done what Gearbox are going to take nearly 2 years to do (in a similar time-frame), I think you're dead wrong. If you're saying Gearbox, with an actual development team behind them is wasting 2 years on stuff that doesn't need doing, I'd point you towards Gearbox and 3D Realms respective track records (hint: Pot calling kettle black.). If what you're saying is that those 10 3D Realms guys could have released *something* than sure, they were maybe close enough to release *something* would it be comparable to the level of quality you're probably now going to see from Gearbox? Again, If you want to say yes here, I think you're dead wrong. And even saying that they could have released *anything* is a big ask. 

This is annoying to me because it is not a lot short of a fucking miracle anything good is coming out of DN:F and with Gearbox finish things off there's a better chance of that then there has been in *years and years and years* and for 3D R guys to come out of the woodwork and claim that they're being hard done by is just one last flash of the arrogance that ran a studio in the fucking ground and produced one of the longest running jokes in gaming. I mean think about, what are the odds DN:F would actually come out after this much time, churn, legal action? And they're complaining? Come on.
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tmthomsen
    @borodin: 3D Realms was mainly self-funded, and I do believe the game was nearly done. If you look at all the leaked content at the May 09 closure, it's not far from. From there on, the 10 people currently working at Triptych (which are currently developing DNF) continued working on it for about 6 months until Gearbox was officially assigned to the game in late 09.

Not to derail the topic, but I don't really expect any quality from Gearbox. They've made some okay expansions and ports during their time, but it was not before Borderlands they really gained an identity. Not that I really cared too much for that game, but that's another matter. 

I'm glad it's still mainly 3D Realms guys working on the game, I guess is what I'm trying to say.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By borodin
    @TMThomsen: O.K. if it was all nearly sealed up, why did they make the deal with gearbox? What does it get them? Less money? 
    SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SniperXan

I think it would only be appropriate  if the 3DRealms logo was shown at the beginning of the game near or with the Gearbox logo since 3DRealms; no matter how long they took; did actually do most of the work with this game and it is theirs.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karl_Boss

Allegedly

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Zereta

Randy Pitchford has openly said that. Gearbox isn't taking credit for it. They're taking credit for consolidating everything when everyone had lost hope and putting a game out, a game people thought would never see the day of light. With that, they've put the Duke Nukem Forever name under the Gearbox brand: that name is coming with a decade's worth of expectations that they have to hit out of the park. 

Its basically what happened with Silicon Knights and Too Human. 10 years later and Too Human was less then ideal. Silicon Knights pretty much went dead silent after that. Reputation: Gone. 

By taking on Duke Nukem Forever, the same thing could happen with Gearbox, and that's something Randy Pitchford openly acknowledges and understands. 

If anything, I have the utmost respect for that man and his company now and despite never having played a Duke Nukem game before, I will buy Forever.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By tranquilchaos
    @TMThomsen said:
    " @borodin: 3D Realms was mainly self-funded, and I do believe the game was nearly done. If you look at all the leaked content at the May 09 closure, it's not far from. From there on, the 10 people currently working at Triptych (which are currently developing DNF) continued working on it for about 6 months until Gearbox was officially assigned to the game in late 09.  Not to derail the topic, but I don't really expect any quality from Gearbox. They've made some okay expansions and ports during their time, but it was not before Borderlands they really gained an identity. Not that I really cared too much for that game, but that's another matter.   I'm glad it's still mainly 3D Realms guys working on the game, I guess is what I'm trying to say. "
    It seems like the opinions of everyone else bounce right off of you. You sound more like you have a vendetta against gearbox unrelated to Duke Nukem and you just want to try and scratch up any kind of dirt you can to support it. In one breath you claim that gearbox doesn't have much to do with the final product and in the next say you expect no quality work from them, which would be essentially irrelevant if the game were already basically finished. Instead of couching your bias in a dubious article and some rumors, just be forward about it.
    Motherfucker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Motherfucker
    @Red12b: Well now i shall steal your Mmms and yeps MUAHAHAHAHA

Also,this guy is porbably full of shit :)
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tmthomsen
    @tranquilchaos: My indifference to Gearbox has nothing to do with this thread. It was a response to borodin, that was of the opinion that Gearbox would make the game better than 3D Realms could.

I just find the whole situation silly. As stated in the OP, if what the dude is stating is true, then I find it stupid of Gearbox to claim they're the saviors and that the game is a Gearbox production when the biggest change appears to be a new label.

I'm not quite sure what you want me to be forward about. Yes, I want the finished Duke Nukem Forever to be as 3D Realms intended, and that's apparently also what I'm gonna get. I'm happy.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel
    @TMThomsen:   I attended the presentation.  I heard Randy Pitchford speak, and at no point did he paint himself or Gearbox as the saviors of DNF.  The resurrection of the game was a collaborative effort between Gearbox, 3D Realms, 2K and Take Two.  Gearbox is not discarding the work 3D Realms did on the game.  They're finishing what 3D Realms started.  They've also been associated with DNF since some time in 2009, so it's not like they just picked up development yesterday and proclaimed themselves the game's savior.

Long story short, I'm willing to bet that blogger is full of it.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scooper

I think we should stop picking apart the development and history of the game and they should get the game out of the fucking door already.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tmthomsen
    @Hailinel said:
    " @TMThomsen:   I attended the presentation.  I heard Randy Pitchford speak, and at no point did he paint himself or Gearbox as the saviors of DNF.  The resurrection of the game was a collaborative effort between Gearbox, 3D Realms, 2K and Take Two.  Gearbox is not discarding the work 3D Realms did on the game.  They're finishing what 3D Realms started.  They've also been associated with DNF since some time in 2009, so it's not like they just picked up development yesterday and proclaimed themselves the game's savior.  Long story short, I'm willing to bet that blogger is full of it. "
    Glad to hear.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By borodin
    @TMThomsen said:
    "  It was a response to borodin, that was of the opinion that Gearbox would make the game better than 3D Realms could. "
    Just so we're clear, I didn't mean to say that Gearbox are necessarily better at making games than 3D Realms - e.g if you gave both companies the same resources and time I'm not gonna say that Gearbox would make a better Duke Nukem game - my point was just here and now, I find it ridiculous to think that 3DR *could* have finished and released the game on it's own, let alone as polished as it will now get the chance to be - but purely down to the realities of the situation, not the because of the respective talent. 

For me it's like a man stuck at the bottom of a 300 foot well gets rescued and complains that he could have gotten himself out. 
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tmthomsen
    @borodin said:

For me it's like a man stuck at the bottom of a 300 foot well gets rescued and complains that he could have gotten himself out.   

Awesome analogy :)

I'm sorry I misunderstood you before. However, we can both agree that Gearbox is better than 3D Realms in terms of getting games on the shelves.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By napalm
    @Hailinel said:
    " @TMThomsen:   I attended the presentation.  I heard Randy Pitchford speak, and at no point did he paint himself or Gearbox as the saviors of DNF.  The resurrection of the game was a collaborative effort between Gearbox, 3D Realms, 2K and Take Two.  Gearbox is not discarding the work 3D Realms did on the game.  They're finishing what 3D Realms started.  They've also been associated with DNF since some time in 2009, so it's not like they just picked up development yesterday and proclaimed themselves the game's savior.  Long story short, I'm willing to bet that blogger is full of it. "
    Thank you for providing truth instead of rampant, random fanboy hate from the OP.
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tmthomsen
    @Napalm: I was discussing the blog post, kind sir. "The Truth" was even in citation marks.

I'm probably the person on this site that is most happy to see the re-appearing of Duke Nukem Forever.
    Tactless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tactless

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.