Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dynasty Warriors

Franchise »

Dynasty Warriors is a franchise of hack-and-slash video games based on the classic Chinese novel, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, developed by Omega Force and distributed by Koei (now Tecmo-Koei).

Why I Love Dynasty Warriors, and Why That's Not Weird

• 125 results
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@hailinel said:

@mrfluke said:

@hailinel said:

@mrfluke said:

@hailinel said:

@mrfluke said:

real off topic, but you would really dig the movie "red cliff"

*Googles*

Damn, that does sound awesome. Thanks for pointing me to that!

yea no worries. that movie really to me real invokes dynasty warriors. it was a pretty awesome movie.

i watched it through illicit means (cause it is a foreign movie, not that easy to legally find in the US) but i believe it is on netflix now.

just a heads up though, there's 2 versions of that movie, a theatrical version

and the international version

i think netflix only has the theatrical version, you would want the international version.

Fortunately, there's a domestic Blu-ray edition of the international version readily available on Amazon.

thats the one you will want to get,

Already bought it. :)

Also, like you and @truthtellah, I enjoy Hero, though I haven't seen the other movies you've both listed. At least, as far as I can recall. I'll have to rectify that at some point.

i think your gonna dig that movie, just know that combined, that uncut version is like 4-5 hours long.

the warlords is crazy, it does have the big chinese battles that we all love , but just the story that it tells is really something else, ill just leave it at that. it kind of resonated with me.

for what its worth, warlords is set during the Taiping Rebellion of the 1860's

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@mrfluke: Sounds interesting. I'll see if I can track that down. (I have quite the movie backlog building up on me.)

wsninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets not joke around here....we all know the Dynasty Warriors Gundam series is the best because Zechs Marquise! r-right fellas? heheheh

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

Which game would you recommend for someone to start out with this series?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phatmac said:

Which game would you recommend for someone to start out with this series?

If you have a PS3, Dynasty Warriors 8 is a good a place as any to start. The 360 version might be a good recommendation as well down the line once the patch they're working on is released, assuming it helps. If you have a 360, I highly recommend Dynasty Warriors 7 for its Story and Conquest modes.

@wsninja said:

Lets not joke around here....we all know the Dynasty Warriors Gundam series is the best because Zechs Marquise! r-right fellas? heheheh

Well, I won't say you're wrong, anyway. :P

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#106  Edited By jakob187

@hailinel: No one can ever take away our love of Koei's Warrior games. Fuck the haters #YOLO #SWAG

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#107  Edited By yukoasho

Well I picked up the game, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Haven't really done much of the story mode, sticking mainly to Ambition to get some levels on a few characters (the Academy later on in Ambition is a damned blessing!).

At first, I was somewhat worried about the idea of any character being able to use any weapon, as that seemed to take away from the uniqueness of the cast in Orochi 3, but I find that the max affinity system helps to keep things unique, since it's not as effective to use a weapon for which you can only achieve a one-or-two star compatibility, and since you always need at least one favorite weapon to do your EX (something that's downright INSANE on some of the characters), there's plenty to keep the characters from being completely generic.

One thing I do wish, however, is that there was an option to switch to the original Japanese voice track. I'm not entirely keen on some of the English actors I've heard so far, particularly Sun Quan, who sounds more like a voice for TV commercials than a badass warlord.

@slag said:

@hailinel said:

And here's some high-level play of Dynasty Warriors 8 with a maxed-out character on the highest difficulty setting.

Loading Video...

That's PS3 I'm assuming?

If so than man GB really should have Quick Looked the PS3 version. Holy cow does that look a million times better than the 360 version they showed. The framerate is incredibly better, glad that would be the version I'd potentially play.

Well I think you sold me. Once /if I get through this massive backlog I just built up with summer sales and whatnot I think I'll give DW another go.

Actually, the 360 version was put together after the Japanese release. There wasn't a Japanese 360 version. That, I imagine, is a large part of the problem with that version. Since the game was designed by Omega Force as a PS3 exclusive in Japan, there was likely no end of problems in getting it ported to the 360. Honestly, I'm not sure they'll ever get version parity.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yukoasho: For what it's worth, and I haven't checked PSN in a while so I don't know if it's available yet, the Japanese voice track is being made available as a free download, just as it was for Dynasty Warriors 7.

As far as the 360 version goes, I read yesterday that apparently the patch meant to address the framerate issue has been released, but I have no idea how effective it is. You're right though, in that the 360 version will likely not parity with the PS3 without significant work.

Valendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I agree Dynasty Warriors is unjustly criticized for succeeding at being the type of game it is. It's an arcade beat'em'up that revolves around trying to meet targets and objectives, leveling up your character, unlocking new weapons characters outfits and horses, and generally just having fun. And they add new features with each installment so when reviewers give the game flak for being Dynasty Warriors, they're being idiots.

What the game does deserve criticism for is the terrible PC port so full of bugs and issues that were never fixed. I still get frustrated with units disappearing and popping in because the game arbitrarily limits the number of objects on screen, and the terrible draw distance, but what pissed me off the most was that I couldn't control the damn camera and it won't even let me rebind left/right on my right joystick so I had to rig the damn thing up with other buttons.

That's just sorry of them to release a game in such a bad state and never even patch it, I wish I knew of some community mod patch or something, because otherwise I love this game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valendale: I really don't have any experience with their PC ports. If they're crap, that's really a shame.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mcghee said:

@jasonr86 said:

@hailinel:

You can like whatever you want to like and don't feel like you need to justify shit. Fuck everyone else.

As the resident Kpop prophet, I approve of this message.

This is respectable. I will say that much.

Valendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Valendale

It's a real shame, because the idiots at Koei's corporate offices think the reason Dynasty Warrior games didn't sell well on PC is because PC gamers have no interest in Arcade Beat'Em'Up games with tons of collectables and achievements. They don't seem to understand that the reason it did so poorly is because stores like GameStop were pulling it off the shelves because of returns, because they released two extremely broken ports on PC.

Koei doesn't seem to comprehend that when you sell a broken product and it does poorly, that doesn't mean people have no interest in the product, it means people don't want to buy or sell broken games they can't play.

I mean can you imagine this game on Steam, if it had full Controller Support, Online Play and Steam Achievements. It would sell like hot cakes, if Koei just understood that when you release a game, it has to be playable, and were willing to patch them.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a real shame, because the idiots at Koei's corporate offices think the reason Dynasty Warrior games didn't sell well on PC is because PC gamers have no interest in Arcade Beat'Em'Up games with tons of collectables and achievements. They don't seem to understand that the reason it did so poorly is because stores like GameStop were pulling it off the shelves because of returns, because they released two extremely broken ports on PC.

Koei doesn't seem to comprehend that when you sell a broken product and it does poorly, that doesn't mean people have no interest in the product, it means people don't want to buy or sell broken games they can't play.

I mean can you imagine this game on Steam, if it had full Controller Support, Online Play and Steam Achievements. It would sell like hot cakes, if Koei just understood that when you release a game, it has to be playable.

As much as I sympathize, the fact is that console-to-PC ports have a long history of not working out well. Dynasty Warriors games are not made with PC first and foremost in mind. And if they were having that much difficulty putting together worthwhile PC ports of their games, maybe they just felt it was easier to cut their losses and focus their development on console platforms.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Do any of the Dynasty Warrior games still have the large-scale tactics/strategy of the old NES/SNES Romance of the Three Kingdoms games? Or have they all removed that in favor of arcade beat-em-up? Somedays I miss the old-school grand strategy games Koei used to put out.

(Also, Aerobiz forever.)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Hailinel

Do any of the Dynasty Warrior games still have the large-scale tactics/strategy of the old NES/SNES Romance of the Three Kingdoms games? Or have they all removed that in favor of arcade beat-em-up? Somedays I miss the old-school grand strategy games Koei used to put out.

(Also, Aerobiz forever.)

Dynasty Warriors isn't really a strategy series, though the Empires expansions typically have a stronger strategy element to them. Koei still produces Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition titles, but their U.S. branch localizes them very infrequently. I don't think that they've released a Nobunaga's Ambition or ROT3K title in North America since the PS2 era, which is a real shame. The closest we've gotten was their Pokemon Conquest strategy RPG (which was Pokemon X Nobunaga's Ambition in Japan).

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@hailinel said:

@mikelemmer said:

(Also, Aerobiz forever.)

Dynasty Warriors isn't really a strategy series, though the Empires expansions typically have a stronger strategy element to them. Koei still produces Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition titles, but their U.S. branch localizes them very infrequently. I don't think that they've released a Nobunaga's Ambition or ROT3K title in North America since the PS2 era, which is a real shame. The closest we've gotten was their Pokemon Conquest strategy RPG (which was Pokemon X Nobunaga's Ambition in Japan).

I was a fan of Koei's old strategy games back when they still ported them to the US. ROT3K was too vague & complex for me to really get, but I loved Aerobiz & Genghis Khan 2. (Honorable mention to Rot3K4: Wall of Fire, which I might've actually understood if I had gotten a chance to play it.) I suspect my dislike of the Dynasty Warrior series stems from the feeling they replaced the strategy games I loved with it.

Honestly, a Dynasty Warriors game with an emergent narrative from high-level strategy could pique my interest.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: to be fair it was only tsao tsao starting in number 6.

Before that it was voiced in game as cow cow.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

@hailinel: to be fair it was only tsao tsao starting in number 6.

Before that it was voiced in game as cow cow.

Yeah, I know. Still, just because the localization is bad doesn't mean everyone else has to follow suit. :P

@hailinel said:

@mikelemmer said:

(Also, Aerobiz forever.)

I was a fan of Koei's old strategy games back when they still ported them to the US. ROT3K was too vague & complex for me to really get, but I loved Aerobiz & Genghis Khan 2. (Honorable mention to Rot3K4: Wall of Fire, which I might've actually understood if I had gotten a chance to play it.) I suspect my dislike of the Dynasty Warrior series stems from the feeling they replaced the strategy games I loved with it.

Honestly, a Dynasty Warriors game with an emergent narrative from high-level strategy could pique my interest.

Both series just play to different audiences, really, though I understand where you're coming from. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Dynasty Warriors on the next generation of consoles.

On the subject of Wall of Fire, though, Koei actually put the SNES version out on the Wii U Virtual Console a little while back. It hasn't aged that badly, all things considered.

Valendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Valendale

@hailinel said:

@valendale said:

I mean can you imagine this game on Steam, if it had full Controller Support, Online Play and Steam Achievements. It would sell like hot cakes, if Koei just understood that when you release a game, it has to be playable.

As much as I sympathize, the fact is that console-to-PC ports have a long history of not working out well. Dynasty Warriors games are not made with PC first and foremost in mind. And if they were having that much difficulty putting together worthwhile PC ports of their games, maybe they just felt it was easier to cut their losses and focus their development on console platforms.

But that's no excuse for releasing a product so broken that stores refused to sell it, refusing to ever even patch it so that it works properly, then assuming that the problem is that the audience isn't there for it, when in reality, the problem was the broken ass port that couldn't even have 50 things on the screen at a time if you got it to work.

I don't think the problem is that it's all that difficult to put a port together, I think the problem is that the people Koei paid to do it were con artists and Koei just never cared about PC gamers in the first place.

That said, this game really is perfect for Steam. There are a lot of controller based games out on PC now, and a lot of good ports done by good companies. Koei should look one of them up, get a real port done, put it on Steam, and have achievements for all the unlockables.

If they can put it on Xbox they can put it on PC, Xbox is just a second rate PC after all.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I just wanted to bump this thread.

Not just because the OP is well written, but mostly because everyone is probably being super tolerant right now so I figure I can get away with shameless DW support.

Actually mainly because Jeff on the bombcast this week justifying why he was playing that free to play MARVEL heroes game or whatever was like exactly the same reasoning behind some of my time with these games and I just wanted to point that out.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only just gotten around to starting DW8 on PC, i wanted a good version of the game since DW7 on 360 was kind of a nightmare with frame rate and i doubted it would be fixed in 8 on that system.

The 60+fps is just what i needed to feel good about the game again, i've always enjoyed the series and after the moderate wait for a new PC version i'm right back in again.

KaiUnderneath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People who dismiss Dynasty Warriors and yet LOVE Diablo and other loot lust games baffle me. I mean Diablo is just clicking on things until they die, picking up stuff and then comparing said stuff to the stuff you picked up before. If you wanna be real reductive about it...which I do.

So the idea that they just "can't understand" Dynasty Warriors is weird to me. In Dynasty Warriors there is that you can pick up in the field, but there's also the loot in the form of characters that you're constantly unlocking and having to level up and stuff.

Yeah the games are all kinda similar, but so are all the loot lust games. I guess the major knock against Dynasty Warriors in comparison to Diablo is that a new Warriors game seems to come out every five minutes...while Diablo takes half a century.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People who dismiss Dynasty Warriors and yet LOVE Diablo and other loot lust games baffle me. I mean Diablo is just clicking on things until they die, picking up stuff and then comparing said stuff to the stuff you picked up before. If you wanna be real reductive about it...which I do.

So the idea that they just "can't understand" Dynasty Warriors is weird to me. In Dynasty Warriors there is that you can pick up in the field, but there's also the loot in the form of characters that you're constantly unlocking and having to level up and stuff.

Yeah the games are all kinda similar, but so are all the loot lust games. I guess the major knock against Dynasty Warriors in comparison to Diablo is that a new Warriors game seems to come out every five minutes...while Diablo takes half a century.

I like this post.

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Dynasty Warriors 6. Can't say I've heard of that one. Is that photo faked? Can't be real, always thought they accidentally skipped an entry is all, like Devil May Cry.

*goes back into corner whilst silently chanting "it doesn't exist, it can't hurt me*

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#125  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think your bit about how the gameplay has evolved in the last gen is part of why I have fallen out with the franchise as it's gone along.

I'm a big fan of military history and in general what I always loved about the series since the start was that it was basically a beat em up mixed with a big battlefield. Now moment to moment you are just killing so many guys that the scale really got thrown off for me.

Dynasty Warriors 6 was the turning point I guess?

@kaiunderneath said:

I like this post.

Me too. Everyone is willing to play a repetitive game if it hits the notes they want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.