Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2010

Concept »

The 2010 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 15-17.

E3 2010: Day One

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

E3 day one is over and it has been a long day for me. It seems like I’ve spent every waking moment watching live streams of press conferences, visiting forums and scouring the internet for sweet, sweet video game news. I had been half-hoping that I’d have a full analysis of the first three press conferences written up the end of today but the last press conference ended at roughly 2:30 a.m. GMT and it seems I’m not left with adequate time for the kind of in-depth analysis all of this madness requires.

Speaking of madness the news of last night’s Cirque du Soleil Kinect event has been just weird. Conceptually this world-renowned performance troupe performing an acrobatic interpretation of a Microsoft peripheral was batshit insane as it was but things seemed to get even more bizarre than I think anyone expected. The entire crowd being made to wear white ponchos seemed a little unusual but the journalists’ reports of creepy fake families, wood nymphs and giant mechanical elephants boggle the mind. It’s hard to believe that it was only this morning that the news on all of this was popping up on the internet and I still find myself bewildered firstly that this strange event took place and secondly that the content was quite so weird and hilarious.

The press conferences themselves were a bit of a mixed bag, overall they seemed to have a basic structure which was to get the blockbuster games out of the way first and then move onto motion control games and what they had planned for the casual market. At the end of day one I find myself a little disappointed; a large amount of time was certainly dedicated to showcasing rather underwhelming titles for the Kinect and Microsoft in particular focused on the motion peripheral for longer than I’d hoped they would. In brief my issue is that the Kinect seemed to have potential but for the large part the launch line-up has been filled with games that already exist on the Wii. I realise that I’m not really the target market for this stuff but you know what? I was excited about the Wii and even if it was a bit gimmicky when that console launched I had fun with the motion control games, Microsoft however seem to be playing host to some rather unoriginal content. Not only are these games that I would not buy but I’m very sceptical as to whether the kind of person who would buy a Wii (or has even bought a Wii) is going to buy an Xbox 360 and Kinect peripheral to experience a selection of motion control games which to some extent already exist.

Despite the letdowns the press conferences did have their moments. I especially liked the look of the big name titles Microsoft were showcasing; Fable III looked good, as a Halo fan I was blown away by the Halo: Reach campaign footage and even though I wouldn’t call myself a big Gears of War or Call of Duty fan I was impressed by what they had to show of Call of Duty: Black Ops and Gears of War 3.

And that folks is my brief summary of day one. Of course this is only a fraction of everything whirling around inside my head right now and I’ll have a full analysis of the press conferences up some time later this week. I’ll continue live-blogging the events tomorrow and will have another blog ready at the end of the day. Thanks for reading and I hope you’re all enjoying E3.

-Gamer_152

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

E3 day one is over and it has been a long day for me. It seems like I’ve spent every waking moment watching live streams of press conferences, visiting forums and scouring the internet for sweet, sweet video game news. I had been half-hoping that I’d have a full analysis of the first three press conferences written up the end of today but the last press conference ended at roughly 2:30 a.m. GMT and it seems I’m not left with adequate time for the kind of in-depth analysis all of this madness requires.

Speaking of madness the news of last night’s Cirque du Soleil Kinect event has been just weird. Conceptually this world-renowned performance troupe performing an acrobatic interpretation of a Microsoft peripheral was batshit insane as it was but things seemed to get even more bizarre than I think anyone expected. The entire crowd being made to wear white ponchos seemed a little unusual but the journalists’ reports of creepy fake families, wood nymphs and giant mechanical elephants boggle the mind. It’s hard to believe that it was only this morning that the news on all of this was popping up on the internet and I still find myself bewildered firstly that this strange event took place and secondly that the content was quite so weird and hilarious.

The press conferences themselves were a bit of a mixed bag, overall they seemed to have a basic structure which was to get the blockbuster games out of the way first and then move onto motion control games and what they had planned for the casual market. At the end of day one I find myself a little disappointed; a large amount of time was certainly dedicated to showcasing rather underwhelming titles for the Kinect and Microsoft in particular focused on the motion peripheral for longer than I’d hoped they would. In brief my issue is that the Kinect seemed to have potential but for the large part the launch line-up has been filled with games that already exist on the Wii. I realise that I’m not really the target market for this stuff but you know what? I was excited about the Wii and even if it was a bit gimmicky when that console launched I had fun with the motion control games, Microsoft however seem to be playing host to some rather unoriginal content. Not only are these games that I would not buy but I’m very sceptical as to whether the kind of person who would buy a Wii (or has even bought a Wii) is going to buy an Xbox 360 and Kinect peripheral to experience a selection of motion control games which to some extent already exist.

Despite the letdowns the press conferences did have their moments. I especially liked the look of the big name titles Microsoft were showcasing; Fable III looked good, as a Halo fan I was blown away by the Halo: Reach campaign footage and even though I wouldn’t call myself a big Gears of War or Call of Duty fan I was impressed by what they had to show of Call of Duty: Black Ops and Gears of War 3.

And that folks is my brief summary of day one. Of course this is only a fraction of everything whirling around inside my head right now and I’ll have a full analysis of the press conferences up some time later this week. I’ll continue live-blogging the events tomorrow and will have another blog ready at the end of the day. Thanks for reading and I hope you’re all enjoying E3.

-Gamer_152

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

The highlight of the day for me was the new Rayman. I was actually impressed with Medal of Honor and Ghost Recon (rare for shooters), but chances are I won't pick up either. Rayman on the other hand, may as well already have my money. Wonder what consoles it will be on.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @AgentJ said:
    " The highlight of the day for me was the new Rayman. I was actually impressed with Medal of Honor and Ghost Recon (rare for shooters), but chances are I won't pick up either. Rayman on the other hand, may as well already have my money. Wonder what consoles it will be on. "
    Medal of Honor did look good. It reminded me quite a bit of Modern Warfare 2 but not in a bad way, it seems like if it's as good as it looks that could be a really enjoyable game. Ghost Recon may have something going for it but I thought it looked a little generic, although I'm not really that into stealth elements in games so maybe it's not my game anyway. The new Rayman looked promising although I never played the original Rayman so it doesn't resonate nostalgically with me as it obviously has for quite a few. I'd like to know a little more about these three games before I make up my mind on any of them but I think there's big potential there for all of them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.