Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2010

Concept »

The 2010 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 15-17.

NBA Jam Plays Exactly How It Looks: Awesome

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
     It looks good like this, but better with big head mode enabled.
    You probably already know that Electronic Arts has picked up the rights to Midway's classic sports franchise, NBA Jam. It's coming to the Wii later this year. I got a chance to play it recently, and found myself shocked by how close it comes to duplicating the classic thrills of Midway's arcade basketball games.

Seriously, it plays almost exactly like NBA Jam, NBA Showtime, or NBA Hangtime. The game, when played with a Wii Remote and Nunchuk, maps the shoot button to the Remote, so you'll flip it up to jump up for a shot, then flip it down to release. This also applies to dunks, where you'll essentially slam the Remote downward to drive the ball home, and on defense, where you'll attempt to time your jumps to block shots. Beyond that, the game utilizes the same control scheme that Midway's arcade games did. In fact, you can go for the Wii's Classic Controller, if you're not into the whole "physical movement" thing. I played with the Remote and Nunchuk configuration, and found that the slams had a good, visceral feel to them, like you're slamming down the domino at the end of a match or... uh... like you're slam dunking a basketball.

Visually, the game looks like it's running at or near 60 frames per second, and it has that same unrelenting speed that drove the previous games. Meanwhile, it's got a unique style to it that recalls the digitized faces of the old game while using different facial expressions for each player to make the whole thing look like a cool, animated cut-out. This is especially noticeable when big head mode is enabled, which is just one of the many throwback cheat codes and additional "features" that will find a way into the new game. A bunch of secret characters are also scheduled to be in the game, though I'm not sure how you'll access those. I tried entering MJT as my initials, but I didn't get Mark Turmell. It sounds like he'll be popping his head into the game one way or another, now that he's officially on the EA payroll. Though he's not directly working on this project, he's given the team some pointers and it sounds like he was the driving force for getting the game up to 60 frames per second.

In addition to the basic form of two-on-two basketball that you'd expect from NBA Jam, this new release will have additional modes. There's a multigame season mode in place, and these will occasionally break out into full-on boss fights. The boss fights take place on a half-court and give you a different view of the action--it's a half-court camera pointed at the basket, essentially. You'll take on some of the NBA's finest, like a giant Yao Ming, in one-on-one battles. There will be other types of boss battles, from the sounds of things, though reps for the game were hesitant to get too specific.

Though it seems like staunch nostalgists will be the ones that get the most out of NBA Jam, that same pick-up-and-play mentality is still there in the new game, and if you've got other players nearby that want to hoop it up with you, it's a winning formula for multiplayer, regardless of your familiarity with the franchise's history. The real question is can EA succeed where Midway failed? Translating this kind of coin-op magic to the home platforms proved tricky for Midway during its final years as an arcade game manufacturer, largely because the games lacked meaningful solo components and you don't need to buy an arcade sports game every single year, essentially making them early versions of what we now call party games. With that in mind, perhaps the party-friendly Wii is the perfect spot for NBA Jam to call home when it launches later this year.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    You probably already know that Electronic Arts has picked up the rights to Midway's classic sports franchise, NBA Jam. It's coming to the Wii later this year. I got a chance to play it recently, and found myself shocked by how close it comes to duplicating the classic thrills of Midway's arcade basketball games.

Seriously, it plays almost exactly like NBA Jam, NBA Showtime, or NBA Hangtime. The game, when played with a Wii Remote and Nunchuk, maps the shoot button to the Remote, so you'll flip it up to jump up for a shot, then flip it down to release. This also applies to dunks, where you'll essentially slam the Remote downward to drive the ball home, and on defense, where you'll attempt to time your jumps to block shots. Beyond that, the game utilizes the same control scheme that Midway's arcade games did. In fact, you can go for the Wii's Classic Controller, if you're not into the whole "physical movement" thing. I played with the Remote and Nunchuk configuration, and found that the slams had a good, visceral feel to them, like you're slamming down the domino at the end of a match or... uh... like you're slam dunking a basketball.

Visually, the game looks like it's running at or near 60 frames per second, and it has that same unrelenting speed that drove the previous games. Meanwhile, it's got a unique style to it that recalls the digitized faces of the old game while using different facial expressions for each player to make the whole thing look like a cool, animated cut-out. This is especially noticeable when big head mode is enabled, which is just one of the many throwback cheat codes and additional "features" that will find a way into the new game. A bunch of secret characters are also scheduled to be in the game, though I'm not sure how you'll access those. I tried entering MJT as my initials, but I didn't get Mark Turmell. It sounds like he'll be popping his head into the game one way or another, now that he's officially on the EA payroll. Though he's not directly working on this project, he's given the team some pointers and it sounds like he was the driving force for getting the game up to 60 frames per second.

In addition to the basic form of two-on-two basketball that you'd expect from NBA Jam, this new release will have additional modes. There's a multigame season mode in place, and these will occasionally break out into full-on boss fights. The boss fights take place on a half-court and give you a different view of the action--it's a half-court camera pointed at the basket, essentially. You'll take on some of the NBA's finest, like a giant Yao Ming, in one-on-one battles. There will be other types of boss battles, from the sounds of things, though reps for the game were hesitant to get too specific.

Though it seems like staunch nostalgists will be the ones that get the most out of NBA Jam, that same pick-up-and-play mentality is still there in the new game, and if you've got other players nearby that want to hoop it up with you, it's a winning formula for multiplayer, regardless of your familiarity with the franchise's history. The real question is can EA succeed where Midway failed? Translating this kind of coin-op magic to the home platforms proved tricky for Midway during its final years as an arcade game manufacturer, largely because the games lacked meaningful solo components and you don't need to buy an arcade sports game every single year, essentially making them early versions of what we now call party games. With that in mind, perhaps the party-friendly Wii is the perfect spot for NBA Jam to call home when it launches later this year.
    wicked_wumpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By wicked_wumpus

mmmhmmm i will be playing this

ip007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By ip007

Cool!

rohanspear345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By rohanspear345

on fire

Avatar image for deactivated-60339640361ae
    deactivated-60339640361ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

NBA Hangtime is AWESOME.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Milkman

Boss battles sound hilarious.

Avatar image for thechriseverson
    thechriseverson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By thechriseverson

on fire indeed!

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Kibblez
    @Terjay said:
    " NBA Hangtime is AWESOME. "
    yes
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Crono

Oh man I can't wait.  I really hope this is as good as Jeff says because I have been excited about this since announcement.

Avatar image for deactivated-60339640361ae
    deactivated-60339640361ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Kibblez said:
    " @Terjay said:
    " NBA Hangtime is AWESOME. "
    yes "
    High fives to everyone.
    billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By billyhoush

I  cannot wait for this.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By rjayb89

I can wait for this and will wait.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By rjpelonia

What I want to know is why are both of those guys jumping in that image?

StoicM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By StoicM

Looks cool.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

I have been waiting for this forever!

captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By captainfish

I'm heating up!

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Wicked_Wumpus said:
    " mmmhmmm i will be playing this "
    Agreed lol.
    csadaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By csadaft
    Look fun. Loved it on the snes. wonder what novelty character in the game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c86670f38adc
    deactivated-5c86670f38adc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

fuzzy510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By fuzzy510

I, for one, am shocked that this is even remotely worth playing.

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mosdef

Toasssty.... wait what game is this?

awwilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By awwilliam

NBA Hangtime... I can't wait to shove someone from one end of the court to the other

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Ross

Good to have NBA Jam back in action.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.