Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2010

Concept »

The 2010 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 15-17.

Stepping Into the Time Warp

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Edited By yukoasho

Remember back in 2006, when people were in wonderment about the endless possibilities of the Nintendo Wii. Even I got a bit swept in at the initial promise of this new and exciting thing called motion control.

Then the system came out.

While the non-gaming folks bought it in droves for Wii Sports, those of us who expected good games were exposed to the truth – that they'd be few and far between for the system. The PS3 and 360 were flooded with more amazing games than we could ever play, while the Wii languished, drowning in shovelware and party games, with games of any worth in those multi-year droughts between Mario main games a haunting rarity. Many of our Wiis now collect dust for years at a time, something previously unheard of with the top selling hardware of a generation.

Fast forward to 2010, and here we are again. Microsoft is touting their new Kinect motion control interface. People are in wonder of the endless possibilities of Kinect. But this time, I'm not being swept up at the initial promise of this “new and exciting” thing called hands-free gaming.

Personally, I've had my fill of motion controls. At the end of the day, I just don't see how this will be any better than the already abysmal Wii. The launch software isn't filling me with confidence either, nor is the near-confirmed $150 price tag.

In short, I'll pass.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By yukoasho

Remember back in 2006, when people were in wonderment about the endless possibilities of the Nintendo Wii. Even I got a bit swept in at the initial promise of this new and exciting thing called motion control.

Then the system came out.

While the non-gaming folks bought it in droves for Wii Sports, those of us who expected good games were exposed to the truth – that they'd be few and far between for the system. The PS3 and 360 were flooded with more amazing games than we could ever play, while the Wii languished, drowning in shovelware and party games, with games of any worth in those multi-year droughts between Mario main games a haunting rarity. Many of our Wiis now collect dust for years at a time, something previously unheard of with the top selling hardware of a generation.

Fast forward to 2010, and here we are again. Microsoft is touting their new Kinect motion control interface. People are in wonder of the endless possibilities of Kinect. But this time, I'm not being swept up at the initial promise of this “new and exciting” thing called hands-free gaming.

Personally, I've had my fill of motion controls. At the end of the day, I just don't see how this will be any better than the already abysmal Wii. The launch software isn't filling me with confidence either, nor is the near-confirmed $150 price tag.

In short, I'll pass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.