Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Empire: Total War

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 03, 2009

The fifth installment in the Total War series from The Creative Assembly. Empire: Total War features the series' hallmark blend of real-time strategic battles, and turn-based empire building. Empire takes place during the 18th century — an age of imperial expansion, trade, rifles and cannons.

Empire: Total War Video Review

AlexMarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By AlexMarra

My first video review since June 2008! Tell me what you think.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Artie

Audio levels are off. The sound effects (record sketch, gunshot, etc.) are extremely loud, and you're really quiet. Also you might want to use background music that's fitting to the game, and doesn't have lyrics (Meaning not MC Hammer). And you might want to start doing regular reviews before getting into the crazier stuff, like clipping in random stuff. Also 9 minutes a little long for a review. Sorry for over-criticism, everyone's gotta start somewhere.

That mic is pretty cool though :/

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Decent review. You were a little quite and you forced the humor too much. But either way, it seemed very in depth on the whole game.

AlexMarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AlexMarra

lol, thanks Artie and Tru3. Honestly, bring on the criticism. I need to know what to do to make my reviews better.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Tylea002

It was good, but a little misguided. The opinions were all there, it'd just work better if you chose your audience better. Is it for the hardcore Empire players? Or the new players? Trying to cater to both in one review can work, but if your going to spend as long as you did discussing tactics, you may as well go whole hog and just get it out the way that this is a review intended to inform the Empire players.

Secondly, the humour. Some of it was good, but it felt out of place. Either make the gags even sparser, like just having one or two and preferably intergrate them into speech rather than cutting to black, or go on for a funny review.

Overall though, nice review. The technical levelling was a bit off, and a little more focus choices would make it better, but its not bad at all.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

My personal nitpicks :

Don't like big CG intro sequences in reviews.  No point in it.  Youtube is very slow, so it's hard to just skip past those parts.
    Don't use music you like that's unrelated to the game.  Some sites have their own themes, but it's better to stick with music from the game itself.  Music is one of those highly taste-dependent things, best not to turn off listeners before they even hear you say anything.
    Sound levels are pretty far off, your voice is too quiet and then suddenly it gets really loud with some sound byte.  If you have an X-Fi or any other hardware that balances your audio levels, turn it off when doing something like this (it'll sound balanced to you, but everyone else gets their ears blown off).

Your review and voice seem good.  Don't rely on gimmicks like sound bytes.

Avatar image for eightbitwarrior
    EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By EightBitWarrior

I didn't watch much of it to be honest, because I'm not interested in the game at all, but I was impressed with your rate of delivery of the review contents without stuttering or going um or anything. Sounded very professional. Yeah, the audio levels were a bit off, but I'm sure you realize that by now. Keep it up.

AlexMarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlexMarra

Thanks Mike.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Artie

I hope Mike realizes they made editing software so people don't say um or stuttering.

"Wow man, I can't believe you figured out a way to go from the main menu, to the middle of a battle. That's truly amazing. You also alt-tabbed from Empire to Rome so quickly, you're pretty good at this stuff man"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.