Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is an action adventure game developed by Ninja Theory and published by Namco-Bandai. A very loose retelling of "Journey to the West," Enslaved follows the story of Monkey and Trip as they attempt to cross a post-apocalyptic Planet Earth.

Just doesn't feel right...

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CptPanda29

I played the demo and thought it seemed pretty decent, the combat was a bit sluggish and awkward but I knew there was an upgrade system in it so I gave the full game a shot. 

I'm getting fairly into it, but since the upgrade stuff started I've noticed next to no effect on combat. Trying out what seems like the only two additional moves (counter and evade attacks) it's so slow to do anything. I'm only at like the back end of chapter two, but I keep getting caught up on rocks, not letting you drop off ledges unless you're a foot more to the left. And then theres the way all platforming sections can be done by looking kinda the right way and mashing A. 

The main reason I got this game was in some of the later screenshots and video there was a lot of it that looked like the Jak games (main three are easily some of my favorites of all time). I hadn't played a game of that type in a long time cause of a billion FPS's, but it's seems like my movement is being forcibly handicapped. Sort of like I really should be able to move / attack faster, dodge further etc. 

I also got the game to kill time until TFU 2 and Fable 3 came out, otherwise I'd be stuck on Reach, but these little things are almost constant and are really noticeable for me. If anyone has gotten much further than me (very probably have) does the game ever get a better flow to it? I can see they were going for a more flowing platforming experience but it's so mindless because of it...

thereaper2950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By thereaper2950

Yeah the upgrades kind of dont do anything, but man this game is still soooooo amazing!!!

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

The platforming is on rails for most parts and is somewhat unclear on things you can leap to/jump off.  The camera is most assuredly not my friend in combat.  I'm hoping to be blown away by the story and cinematic nature of the cut scenes, still in the early tutorial parts of the game.  Gotta say, for all the jank of Alpha Protocol, I still was able to play that game to completion.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Vorbis

I highly suggest playing it on Hard for your first playthrough, combat on Hard requires some tactics and that's when you notice how useful the upgrades are. 

As for the platforming stuff, later on there's alot of chances to fail at it, gets to a point where you need to start timing jumps or you die, then at the end there's some boss fights that just couldn't be done if the platforming was like UC2, you would fall off and die way too much, the speed and smoothness is needed for what they do. Without any spoilers the intro of the game has that bit where the ship rolls over and you have to climb very quickly up the wing before it gets smashed off by a building, it's stuff like that that wouldn't work with a trial and error platforming system. There are alot more of those moments.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.