Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

eSports

Concept »

eSports is the rising phenomenon of competitive gaming backed by professional content delivery and solid corporate sponsorships.

Daily Radio Sports Show Talks about eSports/Twitch

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I listen to a radio sports show that is based out of Toronto, Canada. The talk about everything sports and anything closely related to it. The love having fun, ranting, lots of ranting, actually a crap-load of ranting. They also like to inform and on Wednesday's show they discussed eSports and twitch and I thought it was kinda interesting. It was interesting because these guys loves sports but they were talking about video games and the impact that it could make in their field. There was discussion on the rise and fall of boxing and poker but they also talked about how sports are entertainment and competitive video games could become a entertaining "sport" to watch.

They are gobsmacked by the fact that the viewers for the LoL Final are bigger than some of the major sports finals in North America. But they make sure to throw some dirt at video gamers but don't dwell on that to much for we throw dirt at "jocks and meat-heads." The discussion by non video gamers about the monetization and the chance of eSports being a fad was interesting to me.

p.s. They also do name that wrestler

p.s.s If you want to know how much Canada takes hockey serious here is an example.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BisonHero

"What's the first letter in ESPN?"

"E................for entertainment"

That bit cracked me up. But yeah, they're kinda open-minded enough about it, for guys who are clearly more traditional sports fans.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3 FinalDasa  Moderator

I'm really glad they're open to the issue, it's really shocking sometimes that dudes who don't play professional sports (and usually never did) and whose job is to frequently nerd out over sports getting upset over nerds.

Also great shout out for Disney Infinity, somewhere Johnny V is smiling.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@finaldasa: I was disappointed in the "shots" they were taking at gamers but your right most sports dudes totally blow off eSports as soon as its mentioned but you can't ignore the audience its gaining.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I kinda wish there was a daily esports radio talk. I would totally listen to that.

A Daily Dota Show if you will.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Some hilarious ignorance abound but all in all not so bad in the grand scheme of things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.