Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Eternal Sonata

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 14, 2007

Eternal Sonata is a fantasy RPG developed by tri-Crescendo that tells an alternate history story of Frédéric Chopin's final moments.

Is Eternal Sonata Any GooD?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

It is currently $3.74 on the Xbox 360. Is this game any good?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Yes. Yes. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. It's worth every damn bit of that $3.74 and more.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By soldierg654342

I've played a few hours and the combat at least seems entertaining. Not deep enough in to comment on the story, though right now it seems like it's on the razor's edge of awesome and terrible.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: Yeah. For $4? Heck yeah.

I enjoyed it a decent bit. I even had a 360 faceplate of it back in the day.

It's not as good as the amazing 360 JRPG Lost Odyssey, but it has some great music and alright gameplay. Certainly worth that price.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

It's a JRPG with some unique combat mechanics and an interesting story that is unfortunately bogged down in the midst of a second horribly uninteresting one. No question that it's $3.74 good - the soundtrack alone would be. Even overall (having bought it closer to full price way back when), it's legitimately good, if flawed like most JRPGs.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Yeah. I'd say it's definitely worth 4 bucks. Been a long time, but I remember having fun with it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I didn't finish it, but I really liked the combat, art, and music. So sure!

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And for a brief moment, I was reminded of faceplates for home consoles.

Seriously. I totally forgot faceplates were kind of a thing years ago.

Anyway, I was also curious about Eternal Sonata and other games I've missed this past generation. I think I'm going to hold off on buying a PS4 and/or XOne to go back and play certain games.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Superkenon

You can do worse for that price. It's the time investment that's more significant. Just ask yourself if you want to go through an entire full-length RPG of "OK" quality.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I remember enjoying my time with it. It has highs and lows, the highs being the battle system and some of the aesthetic design. The lows being that much of the game is almost shockingly generic and forgettable. The Chopin trappings are great when they're there, but are sadly underused, leaving most of the game to be an inconsequential fantasy kingdom tale.

In a nutshell: worth playing to know about, because it's at least an entertaining little romp, but don't come expecting to be blown away. It's an average JRPG with some interesting hooks.

Also there's an excruciating death scene that lasts for like 15 minutes. Take that as you will.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's a poor JRPG, the story is super slow and the art style is about the only thing it has going for it. If you're like me you'll give up after about 12 hours

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat system was what stuck out to me. It's also pretty, but it probably won't hold a torch to Ni No Kuni, if you've played that. The story is neat, but it's right up there with Kojima's stuff with the way the story beats are doled out. Slightly less existential bullshit though. Slightly.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YeS

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb said:

@truthtellah said:

And for a brief moment, I was reminded of faceplates for home consoles.

Seriously. I totally forgot faceplates were kind of a thing years ago.

Anyway, I was also curious about Eternal Sonata and other games I've missed this past generation. I think I'm going to hold off on buying a PS4 and/or XOne to go back and play certain games.

That's not a bad idea. There are a decent number many people missed. Heck, as I said, Lost Odyssey is one of the best JRPGs of the last generation, but few played it. More should! :)

wsninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wsninja

Its the Only JRPG that I've ever played through the entire game twice. Once on the Xbox and once on the PS3. One of my favorite games ever.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: That's been happening for the previous two generations. I end up getting a console two years after launch or whatever, and I end up cherry-picking the first 2-3 years of games because I'm behind and want to play the "definitive" picks. Then games like Eternal Sonata (and Lost Odyssey, actually) get lost in the shuffle because I tend to play newer games once I've mostly "caught up."

I'm really the only person I know in my actual life who plays games on a regular basis (unless it was like the past few months when I was trying to finish school), so multiplayer was never something I cared for. I often miss the "zeitgeist," but my wallet thanks me for it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Combat is similar to something like phastasy star but the character design pissed me off. I like my jrpg but this was a little too much for me. From what I remember the story was kinda deep. You play as Choplin as he's dying.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I really enjoyed it when it came out, but I never finished it.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bigjeffrey

Alrighty will purchase thanks for THE answers. I mean i know it's just $4 but hey could spend that shot on something else.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: Cool. Have fun!

And whether you like it or not, you can pick up the soundtrack afterward! :D

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

GooD is the family friendly version of DooM

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played it on PS3; it was really quite awesome (if you're generally into JRPG's anyway).

The combat system was pretty cool, and it gets awfully challenging in the late game / new game plus as you raise your party level ("moving buttons" was the bane of my existence).

The story is utterly strange though.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was not a huge fan of this game. I really wanted to like it, but after about 10 hours I had to stop. My main problem was the combat. When it comes to JRPGs, I'll take a turn based system with room for strategy (even at utterly by the numbers one like Lost Odyssey) over a shallow real time system 10 times out of 10. I find that most times JRPGs try to implement real time or action based combat it comes off feeling like their is no need for any sort of strategic thinking, and that is the case with Eternal Sonata as well.

I liked a lot about Eternal Sonata. The music was great, the visuals were stunning for the time, the premise was unique, and the characters were fairly interesting. The combat was just so mind numbingly boring, basically just amounting to button mashing. Of course, being a JRPG combat was like 75% of the game and I just couldn't take any more of it.

I've actually always told myself I would go back to it at some point, as it's among only like 5 retail games of this past generation (on consoles) that I had bought and not completed .

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it well enough to finish it. At that price you shouldn't really be asking. The story, music and visuals were the standout features of the game for me.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Its concept goes to waste as the game goes on. It's a standard JRPG. But the end is absolute garbage. Been playing JRPGS for like 15 years and this was the first one that I just walked away from and let it play out while I did other things.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So i finished the game, the story was serviceable but that ending is a pure mind fuck of what the fuck is going on!!!!!!!!

I liked the battle system, Game had some great vistas, and soundtrack is good but not "i'd actually listen to it outside of the game good" but still good. Is eternal sonata any good? For me it's $3.74 good.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played the game, I do not do Jrpg's. But I was taken by the premise and story. Rather interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-629f1111f1060
    deactivated-629f1111f1060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Combat is ok, story is awful, characters are pretty bad and it is incredibly short.

However it has amazing art and music. I enjoyed it when I played it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.